Flat rides

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been playing for 33 years now, and I just played my first flat ride. Still grinning ear to ear! Picked up a 21" Bosphorus Masters and I've never heard such a fantastic stick sound. There is more wobble and shimmying than anything I've ever played! (Keeping it clean here!) 1853 grams

Coming out from under that rock was fun!

Special thanks to "Jazz Turkey" Josh for the inspiration to look into these. I couldn't swing a deal with him for his 21" Bosphorus Masters (in the Swap Section), but checking them out when considering potential deals worked out fantastically nonetheless. It's still available so hit him up with a trade offer!

R

RickP

I have owned a few flat rides and can appreciate them when used in the right situation. Most of the stuff I play these days doesn’t really call for a flat ride so I sold all my flats.

Flats I have owned -
2 x 20” reissue Paiste 602 Medium Flat - maybe the most iconic flat ride ever.
19” Amedia Legend Flat Ride - picked this up at the Chicago Vintage Drum Show a few years back.Very woody stick sound.
18” Istanbul Agop Signature Flat - probably the quietest ride cymbal I have ever heard. Very delicate and pretty.
18” Paiste Traditional Flat - another really quiet flat.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two right now, a 19” masters and 20” traditional both bosphorus. I wish i still had the 18” & 20” 2002’s that i sold. I also had an A custom 20”. All good cymbals in the right situation. Not the best all the time but often just the right sound fir the moment.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a 20" Paiste Traditionals flat ride that I hold on to just for piano trios. Used it tonight with a piano trio, as a matter of fact.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a great sound for sure....

The first flat ride I heard was Roy Haynes with Chick Corea, playing Chick's personal 18" 602. Later on Airto played that same cymbal, as have several others. I think Marty Morell with Bill Evans was another early user....

markkarj

Reaction score
I have two at the moment... an A Custom and a Sabian HH, both 20s.

I remember trying a Sabian Ed Thigpen at an open jam. Sounded nice. I liked a Formula 602 flat, but didn't want to shell out an obscene amount of money for it (even used)

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the Bosphorus 19" flat. It had this beautiful bacon pan sizzling sound. I stupidly sold it to get a K con 20" flat, which sounds great and has a cool crash sound...It's just not as good as that Bosphorus was.

Tanabata

Reaction score
I have a Paiste 602 blue label 18" flat ride. It's pretty nice, I've played it for many years, though it's on hiatus at the moment.

I've had others... Bosphorus, Sabian Encore.... keeping the Paiste.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LOVE flat rides. Currently I own... four, I think? An 18” Agop Sig, 22” and 24” Agop Turks, and a 22” Mehmet Horacio Hernandez.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played a Paiste 602 blue label 20" flat ride for about 25 years. A couple of years back I had health issues & sold this cymbal in a panic. In retrospect I should have sold a body part instead. I'm sure my kidneys don't sound half as good as that ride did.

It's strange though how this pushed me in a new direction. I went through a few rides before settling on a K ride. I've since gotten rid of most of the crashes & hats that I used to play paired with the 602 flat ride. Maybe I was due for a change in sound anyway, but selling that one ride set everything in motion.

Last edited:

flamthrower

Reaction score
I used to have a Zildjian mini cup in the 70s. Sorta like the Mapex Falcon pedal I have now, in between a long and short board. LOL. I thought the mini cup sounded great with a good balance.

kluger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love flat rides also. I have never used two rides but now I have on my kit a 1970's 22" Zildjian flat ride , with a 20" Paiste Traditional Med Heavy ride right above it. It is so much fun! Stick definition for days on the Z! And a great stick rebound feel.
The Paiste has a perfect bell and a wonderful crash. Took a crash out of my line up to add the extra ride. Love it.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have two currently. 22''bosphorus turk, and a 20'' a custom. they do not make the a custom anymore, which is a shame.

does anyone know if they made a custom's in other sizes than 20''?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first one was a 19" Bos masters - when I played it, I was like, "THAT is the sound!!!" Real nice woody sound, little wash and all was well. However, I do miss the bell and the full crash of non-flat cymbals. I then had a 70's Zildjian flat ride but it was way too pingy and had a clangy wash. I then went to a 22 Bos masters which was fantastic except that in my 2 cymbal setup, I need the bell/crash/stick sound from each (3 sounds per cymbal) and I am just not good enough to get full dynamics of sound out of a flat ride. I had a 22 K con flat ride I should have saved because it's rare but same thing - I'm not good enough to get the sounds out of it. The only one I have now is a 20 K Con and will hold onto it for its rareness. It is super dry and woody, too.....with a few rivets, it really is a nice sound. I do think I prefer 22's........

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have two currently. 22''bosphorus turk, and a 20'' a custom. they do not make the a custom anymore, which is a shame.

does anyone know if they made a custom's in other sizes than 20''?
Antonio Sanchez may've had some special made; think there's a video of his somewhere.

Ready? I think it's here; some 22s or one or..

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 1978 black label Paiste 2002 flat 20" for sale in excellent shape..has one rivet, but does not need it. One of the best flats I have owned/played...very silvery with the glassy shimmer paiste is known for.
Only selling because I have Agops and an Agop flat...turning 70 soon, and phasing out my drum 'career' as I downsize

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Sabian Jack Dejohnette 20" flat ride, which to me is the perfect ride sound. I don't gig with it because I miss the bell and crash of a normal ride.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Re-upping this old thread because I have been on a flat ride kick for the last year, I really enjoy them, but I have to admit it's a love-hate relationship.

I have three so far: an 18" Istanbul pre-split, heavy; a 20" Paiste Traditionals, light; and a 22" Agop Traditional, very thin. All three have rivets. The 18 has the most beautiful tone, and a surprisingly decent crash, but the ping is just too high pitched to use all the time. The 22 has the perfect pitch of stick click, and the best-feeling response while playing, but the crash is not great. The 20 is about halfway between them in pitch, and an interesting crash if I slap it with the side of the stick, but it's a bit fatiguing to play. My ideal would be to find one with the pitch and feel of the 22, and the tone quality of the 18.

I really have gotten addicted to the fast articulate response of a flat ride. Feels like I can play "better" than I can on regular rides. My two favorite/usual crashes both have great bells, and the bigger crash rides fairly well, so I don't need a bell on the main ride. But I'm still searching for the "one" flat that sounds the way I want.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Re-upping this old thread because I have been on a flat ride kick for the last year, I really enjoy them, but I have to admit it's a love-hate relationship.

I have three so far: an 18" Istanbul pre-split, heavy; a 20" Paiste Traditionals, light; and a 22" Agop Traditional, very thin. All three have rivets. The 18 has the most beautiful tone, and a surprisingly decent crash, but the ping is just too high pitched to use all the time. The 22 has the perfect pitch of stick click, and the best-feeling response while playing, but the crash is not great. The 20 is about halfway between them in pitch, and an interesting crash if I slap it with the side of the stick, but it's a bit fatiguing to play. My ideal would be to find one with the pitch and feel of the 22, and the tone quality of the 18.

I really have gotten addicted to the fast articulate response of a flat ride. Feels like I can play "better" than I can on regular rides. My two favorite/usual crashes both have great bells, and the bigger crash rides fairly well, so I don't need a bell on the main ride. But I'm still searching for the "one" flat that sounds the way I want.
I've heard they are great for the reasons that you state. I just can't get past the visual shock I would have of looking at my ride and not seeing a bell (maybe that sounds dumb but that's how I would feel). I think my 22" ping ride with it's medium sized bell is pretty articulate as it stands. The only playing & sound differences I see is the fact that you have more space without a bell interfering and I'm sure since you don't have a bell the sound is more crisp. In regards to finding the perfect one, I see you use Agop. Go into the Amazon deals thread and every few days Mehmet or Soultone flat rides come up at rock bottom prices. When you see it, go on You tube and listen to it and if you like it, buy it! That's how I got all my Turkish cymbals. The flat rides seem to get those blowout prices pretty often, I guess it's because they don't sell as much. So lucky for you that you like them, you can capitalize on that and possibly find the perfect one dirt cheap. Here are 2 examples that are super cheap right now:

This 22" Mehmet is $166. This cymbal normally sells for $384 anywhere else:

This 19" Soultone is $134. That's the price you would normally pay buying this cymbal used:

Good luck on your quest!
LRod

Last edited: