Flat rides

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You knew this was coming. One of my favorite drummers (and bands) Greg Saunier uses two here in a totally unorthodox set up. One as a top hat and the other as his only ride. A must see live.
Wow! That's pretty unique. The setup, the drumming and the music!

TrickRoll

Reaction score
Flat fanatic here.

Current inventory includes:
16” Paiste 602
18” Paiste 602
18” Paiste 2002 (with rivets)
18” Paiste 602
18” Paiste Traditional (with rivets)
18” Sabian HH
20” Paiste Traditional
21” Soultone Vintage 1964

Also had a 20” Zildjian K Custom and a Meinl in the past.

I love the feel and sound of them, especially in very live rooms.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Currently use 2. One is a 14" Sabian VFX which I use with w/plastic rods for coffee house gigs. You can hear it here:
The other is an 18" Soultone Custom...using it with a quiet rock band.

I started with a Meinl Meteor which is a budget line, 18 flat (sort of rare I think).
I also had a 20" Paiste Alpha which was great...but I wasn't using it when I owned it....

If Soultone was blowing them out I'd buy another.

TheMattJones88

Reaction score
You knew this was coming. One of my favorite drummers (and bands) Greg Saunier uses two here in a totally unorthodox set up. One as a top hat and the other as his only ride. A must see live.
These videos were my introduction to Deerhoof back when I was in college. To say it blew my mind is an understatement. Greg Saunier is so damn good. Never realized he used flat rides.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think my 22" ping ride with it's medium sized bell is pretty articulate as it stands. The only playing & sound differences I see is the fact that you have more space without a bell interfering and I'm sure since you don't have a bell the sound is more crisp.
It depends on the specific cymbal of course, but the big difference I'd say is that the flatter profile reduces the amount of wash, reduces the sustain, and increases the prominence (and rebound) of the stick click. So while a ping ride is of course all about that ping, it can also have a lot of sustain and a big wash underneath; plus it's a bell-like DING instead of a crisp click. That's why flats have been historically associated with jazz, where there can be a lot of really fast/intense ride playing but you don't want a loud clanging sound, or for the sustain/wash to build up so much it overpowers the click. Rivets help with the sustain, for slower tunes, and they don't interfere or overpower the stick.

The main drawback is the crash sound, which is usually short and toneless or atonal, more of an "effect" noise sound than what we usually want from a crash. Rivets help with that to an extent. The crash is the main thing that has turned me off from a lot of the flats I've listened to online, a real garbage can lid sound. But in a way that just makes it even more exciting when I run across a "special" one (like the 18 Istanbul heavy) that actually has a sweet musical sound when hit like a crash.

I'm Ahab looking for "Moby Click" over here.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It depends on the specific cymbal of course, but the big difference I'd say is that the flatter profile reduces the amount of wash, reduces the sustain, and increases the prominence (and rebound) of the stick click. So while a ping ride is of course all about that ping, it can also have a lot of sustain and a big wash underneath; plus it's a bell-like DING instead of a crisp click. That's why flats have been historically associated with jazz, where there can be a lot of really fast/intense ride playing but you don't want a loud clanging sound, or for the sustain/wash to build up so much it overpowers the click. Rivets help with the sustain, for slower tunes, and they don't interfere or overpower the stick.

The main drawback is the crash sound, which is usually short and toneless or atonal, more of an "effect" noise sound than what we usually want from a crash. Rivets help with that to an extent. The crash is the main thing that has turned me off from a lot of the flats I've listened to online, a real garbage can lid sound. But in a way that just makes it even more exciting when I run across a "special" one (like the 18 Istanbul heavy) that actually has a sweet musical sound when hit like a crash.

I'm Ahab looking for "Moby Click" over here.
Thanks for that info. Now you got me interested!:confused:

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still have a heavier Zildjian flat ride that I bought 25 - 30 years ago after hearing Bruford use one. I used it for quite awhile but don't really break it out that much anymore. Very distinct ping sound, no wobble and not a crash type ride by any means, but it sounds great for what it is. Been on the fence about selling it for like 10 years now.

Burps

Reaction score
Flat ride fan here! I used to like to use them in church for the softer parts. Now that the church has its own cymbals, I don't use them much at all now, except at home. :(

My flats are...

Paiste 2002 20"
Paiste 3000 18"
Paiste 602 Blue Label Heavy 20"
Paiste 602 Blue Label Medium 18"

My favorite one however is not a Paiste. Its a...

Zildjian K Flat Top Ride 22".

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a quick little article I found that's related. I found it interesting because it says that the first flat rides were developed for Joe Morello:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I've got an 18" Paiste Trad flat and a 20" Paiste Alpha Flat.
The Trad is to die for.
The Alpha, while a great sounding cymbal, just doesn't have enough of those "introverted" qualities to register as a quality flat ride, in my opinion.
I call it The Anti-Flat Ride Flat Ride. :p

...btw, since I've got your attention, what do we think of Soultone Flat Rides?
I've got a line on a 20" Vintage, but its 2174g. Seems a bit heavy.

Elvis

Maggot

Reaction score
The Trad is to die for.
The Alpha, while a great sounding cymbal, just doesn't have enough of those "introverted" qualities to register as a quality flat ride, in my opinion.

Elvis
Is that 26" Soultone still for sale on Amazon for $150 shipped? That's the way to go!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Sabian Jack Dejohnette 20" flat ride, which to me is the perfect ride sound. I don't gig with it because I miss the bell and crash of a normal ride.
- That and the 20" Paiste 602 are my 2 favorite flats.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bosphorus 20" traditional flat 2290g near new
A Custom 20" Zildjian flat 2000g beaut
A Zildjian 2650g 20" toe-slicer flat
18" 1757g Paiste 602 flat

If I had to do it all over (I do like the A Custom 20")
I'd prefer 18" Flats.

Just because. They're sportier.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bosphorus 20" traditional flat 2290g near new
A Custom 20" Zildjian flat 2000g beaut
A Zildjian 2650g 20" toe-slicer flat
18" 1757g Paiste 602 flat

If I had to do it all over (I do like the A Custom 20")
I'd prefer 18" Flats.

Just because. They're sportier.
the 20'' a custom is the king of flat rides. if they ever made a 22, i would be on it.

andlours

Reaction score
I had a 20" 602 reissue which was great, but didn't blend with my other cymbals. Now I have a 20" sabian HH flat ride which is absolutely great.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Trad is to die for.

Elvis
I had a B8 Zanki,or Tosco from Italy probably from the early 70's . 18" just like Charlie Watts . It was a' pretty 'cymbal and that quality for some reason cut through louder gigs if I needed it to . It was stolen and I've often tried hunting another one down . The Alpha might just be it .

Another is the UFIP Bionic series 18" flat ride . There was one floating around town some years ago , maybe it's still out there collecting dust in somebody's basement .

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite is a 19” bosphorus masters series. I recently got a 22” mehmet turk with three rivets thats very nice also. Ive had 2002 20” and 18” both of which i regret parting with. I also had a 20” a custum and 20” bosphorus traditional both of which were nice but not quite right for me.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
So for those of you that have favorite flats, is your favorite very thin/light weight, medium, or heavy? Of course those are not standardized terms, but if you could give a general impression --or a specific weight, along with the diameter?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
depends if in a quiet General Business trio (sax and drums) - 1750g for an 18". 2000g for a 20"- those are soft and pingy yet soft.
or a louder electric rock funk multi purpose popband 20" - 2290g on up 2600-2700g - those get stiffer and pinger but still darkesh

Latest posts