Flat Tire Groove

Tarkus

Reaction score
First time I heard the name 'flat tire shuffle' was this drumeo lesson:

Starts at 12:40 and is something else than discussed here, yet. Flat tire is about 'leaving out some notes', and most think of '2 and 4' on the snare, just playing 'and'. But Jerry Adolphe leaves out hi-hat beats. Not easy to get this flowing.

One of the best online shuffle lections I saw is from master Rick Latham:

No flat tire. But for those who want to learn or improve their shuffles, this hour is well spent.

Here a shuffle, which turns to flat tire during guitar solo (1:52):

Last edited:

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Who would have guessed...Ringo! Those guys did it all...in their own way.

_That’s Paul on drums on that one!

There’s a lot of good flat tires to be heard on Bobby Bland and BB King stuff. BB in particular seems to like it as set opener and closer music (like on his very fast live versions of “Everyday I Have the Blues”)

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
In this video, Mike Clark demonstrates several shuffles, including a couple of variations of what he calls the flat-tire shuffle (around 1:48) . He played with a lot of well known blues players in the 60's, including Albert King.
Ok! The snare accents are on the upbeats instead of the downbeats.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Not a totally traditional take on it, but this is essentially a flat tire shuffle. Looked for the song on Youtube, but guess the Hendrix family like to block all the officially released stuff. This is an instrumental outtake:

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Happy to see some video examples. Over the years I've had band members ask for a flat-tire shuffle, then I play it and they say that's not what they meant (and then they are unable to explain what they meant).

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Happy to see some video examples. Over the years I've had band members ask for a flat-tire shuffle, then I play it and they say that's not what they meant (and then they are unable to explain what they meant).
Probably 8 or 9 times out of 10 they mean the shuffle with the accent on the “ands”(third note of the triplet) but -Occasionally- they mean the shuffle with a really “long 8th note” (basically like a true dotted eighth with the note falling on “a”) but the accents still coming on 2 and 4.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! I wasn't familiar with this term, but I can definitely see it being useful.

BTW, Mike Clark plays periodically around here... total monster. Love his playing!!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably 8 or 9 times out of 10 they mean the shuffle with the accent on the “ands”(third note of the triplet) but -Occasionally- they mean the shuffle with a really “long 8th note” (basically like a true dotted eighth with the note falling on “a”) but the accents still coming on 2 and 4.
That sounds like what guys around here call a Texas shuffle.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That sounds like what guys around here call a Texas shuffle.
Yeah, I’ve definitely heard that, but as far as I can tell, 99% of the time, when a guitar player says “Texas Shuffle” they don’t have idea one what they want from the bass or drums, but they’re gonna try to play like Freddie King or SRV, so they think they need to say it.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve definitely heard that, but as far as I can tell, 99% of the time, when a guitar player says “Texas Shuffle” they don’t have idea one what they want from the bass or drums, but they’re gonna try to play like Freddie King or SRV, so they think they need to say it.
Personally, if that style is called I just go immediately into Bramhall mode.

maxb2k

Reaction score
Love flat tire grooves ! A good example of one is
Bobby Blue Bland’s, Further On Uo the Road.

Thé flat tire, as I know it essentially is four on the floor, cymbal pattern can be either a swing ride pattern, and or shuffle dotted eighth note. And the snare is playEd on the uo beat (ah). Usually the guitar is playing this rhythm, and the snare reinforces It. Accent to taste.

Another great example is B.B. King‘s Every Day I Have the Blues: Live at the Regal Theater!
This is more “uptown“ blues. It really is uotempo, and swings like hell.

A lot of harp tunes, you can hear the swing flat tire, the snare is barely heard. More felt, and for comping, two & four on the hihat.

Last edited: