Fleabites, would you say?

Ced

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Just curious, I just got this beauty yesterday and I really like it. Wonderful cymbal, and a beautiful crash. You can also ride it easily, very versatile Istanbul OM 20” crash.

I noticed that the edge is not smooth everywhere. I bought it from a really nice drummer I met online. he himself got it new at his local store a month before. The price was very fair and I am not going to give him a hard time a all on that. Plus I love the cymbal.
70207DE0-CE2A-4CF0-9A6A-790CEBE62C57.jpeg
440A692D-AB28-40BF-A379-E19E3FFD4E36.jpeg
44915721-C2B5-41DA-8B25-59F8055CCAF2.jpeg

But would you say that these are fleabites? Would that give me trouble if I decide to resale it?

I don’t plan to sell it but just curious.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

blownaway

Reaction score
I've seen these from brand new cymbals, both Zildjian and Paiste. I sold one like yours and provided a picture of the nick and it was small enough that the buyer didn't object. As long as it's not too big and if it sounds good I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know if they come from the factory like this or something happens in shipping. New cymbals I ask for a replacement, but I'm a special kind of weird :)

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like some fleas. The big one ... maybe a tick.
Just watch that a rash doesn’t form.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t know what the relationship is, but all the best cymbals I’ve ever heard have had at least one flea bite.

Ced

Reaction score
Just realized that I, selfishly, didn’t even share what cymbal it was....
This beauty is an Istanbul OM 20” crash. Love it

Those are pretty small and I could see it being from factory or from shipping to the store... they are small enough to be hard to take a picture of, you just feel then quite a bit under your finger when checking the cymbal

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
That would not phase me in the very least, they look tiny, could be smoothed with some very fine wet and dry sandpaper. Lv it and don’t worry about resale. What brand?

Ced

Reaction score
I should have made proper introduction and honor the craftsmanship on this beauty before getting to the boring fleabite stuff!
Istanbul agop OM 20” crash
I am a huge fan of agop cymbals
Here she is...
AEFA8BAE-9DEC-464A-BEB4-8AF8A6547649.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love these cymbals! I have a 22 Om ride (1st gen, yours is 2nd gen. btw), and it also has a small flea bite. No big issue. You can take a little sand paper and sand down the edge should you wish. Otherwise, put it up and let 'er ride....or crash!

Reactions: Ced

Ced

Reaction score
Thanks, JazzDrumGuy!

Yeah, a lot of the times, it takes me a little time to get use to a new cymbal, learn how to play it... I loved this one right away.
For the fleabites, I was more worries about resale. I know that doesn't impact the sound, or at least I like it :) and I doubt this will have anything to do with cracks...

Do you think they can come from the factory like that?

I think I'll leave it alone. I am more afraid to do something wrong with the san paper, than improving anything. Thanks!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've owned quite a few Agops and for some reason, only the OM's I've had (just have the 22 now, had a 20 ride before) had an issue. Not sure why or how as both were 2nd hand.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just wondering....

Could it have been a misplaced hammer strike? Like they just caught the edge and nicked it....

What do I know....lol...

Ced

Reaction score
Just wondering....

Could it have been a misplaced hammer strike? Like they just caught the edge and nicked it....

What do I know....lol...
Some of them could for sure. But some look more like a small impact directly on the edge like someone would have put it down too quickly on concrete

poetman

Reaction score
Fleabites bother children. They aren’t noticed by grown men. Play, sell, enjoy, etc...

Reactions: Ced

Latest posts