Flooding...

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My storage space flooded on Sunday. They found out about it on Monday morning, but decided to wait until today (Wednesday) to tell me though. Everything was in water-resistant cases, but 3.5 days of sitting in 18 inches of water broke right through the "resistance".

Potential losses so far include
- 2 kits: an easily replaceable Gretsch Renown (8-10-12-14F-18F, with 16, 18, 20, and 24 kicks), and a significantly less replaceable Sonor Rosewood Phonic (12-13-16-18 / 22, with non-rosewood 8 and 10 concert toms)
- my entire live PA (mixer, control surface, wireless rack, 4 powered speakers)
- three sets of hardware (DW 7000 / 6000, DW Ultralight, Gibraltar flat-base)
- my live mics

This was a combination of rain water and SF Bay overflow water, so it's not clean -- the electronics will dry out eventually, but worried about what's going to be caked inside them
Hardware may be salvageable, but all of the connections + crevices are rusting already.

Drums have various degrees of water in the plies. Drying out now, but some warping is already happening. All the Sonor hardware that I spent weeks detailing is covered in gunk and rust.

Insurance should make me whole, but some of this stuff is not going to be replaceable.

Woof.

Some days aren't your days :)

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Sorry man.

You guys needed the rain, but historical weather like that is a bit to much. I got lucky for the second time in a month here on the east coast with no flooding in my basement. This time it was something called a "cyclone bomb" that just hit. I mean what is that!?

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ouch! Sorry man.

You guys needed the rain, but historical weather like that is a bit to much. I got lucky for the second time in a month here on the east coast with no flooding in my basement. This time it was something called a "cyclone bomb" that just hit. I mean what is that!?
Yeah, and the real drag is that I think everything would have been fine if they had called me when they found out about it on Monday morning. Bleh.

T-2

Reaction score
Yikes. That's terrible. Sorry. Hope it all works out.

Reaction score
VERY sorry to hear that! I have had a few close calls (from storms Sandy, Floyd...) here at my home with a basement drum room, the last one was Ida (last month.) Fortunately I (always) get-got all my drums, cymbals, and snares out ahead of time, but this time I had to leave some hardware and cases behind to get a little wet (all fixable.) However, I lost ALL of my drum book library, nothing can be done about them, hundreds of books GONE.

Everything just came too quick, and because of the weather people's exaggeration of EVERYTHING now, and because this storm (Ida) didn't come up the coast, I didn't think it would be that bad. Wrong. 11" of rain in a couple of hours. Nothing can be done with that. Three feet of water around the house within an hour. The drum books and some of my wife's "basement stuff" was the "irreplaceable stuff." Oh and a car, boiler, hot water heater, washer, dryer, etc.... (all replaceable though.) Hopefully we should have heat by this weekend. Rough month.

Give your hardware a nice WD 40 bath and wipe down, it will help, while it won't look like new, it will help the rust and functionality. I don't have any positive news to tell you about your drums though, but you probably already know that. Sorry.

Very sorry to hear about your situation!!!!!
MSG

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The insurance part, knowing that the monetary value is covered is a relief but the time, effort and mental pain of "salvaging" plus the loss of those items that were unique or otherwise non-recoverable surely isn't covered by insurance and is therefore the real loss.

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know at this point, just commiserating a little maybe.

Sucks, but there are worse things too if that's any consolation.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummed to hear this. Glad you had insurance to cover what will be covered. I agree it's going to be a pain in the butt approved value and then the delay of Getting nickel-and-dimed By the insurer. I would tender your property damage claim to the storage facility as primary especially since it sounds like they were negligent and the untimely disclosure and or curious whether they had knowledge a prior rain entry and what the condition of the building was to avoid that from past occurrences. I would definitely examine the storage agreement determine your rights and obligations. Good luck, man.

PS: Nom, sorry to hear about you, too.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. Although insurance should cover it some things just aren’t replaceable.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw this posted on Instagram. Bummer. It sounds like the storage company has reached out and is trying to do at least something. Is that correct? I mean, I'd be pissed!

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the well-wishes. Spent the evening disassembling and trying to dry stuff as much as possible. Feeling pretty good about the drums -- the Phonics are absolute tanks, and the Gretsch didn't seem to get it as bad. The silver sealer at very least made wiping off the stains a lot easier :D

PA is looking pretty bad. I'm still _pouring_ water out of the speakers, hours later. Brown, gross water. Even when they dry there's gonna be a ton of stuff left over inside.

Hardware is looking mixed bag -- joints, chains, and springs seem to have it the worst. Lots of little parts may need replaced, but the big pieces are mostly unharmed.

Cases are a definite write-off. Soaking wet, already starting to mold, and the fleece lining (these are all Ahead cases) is brown / yellow (blech)

FWIW, the Ludwig Revette was in Beato Pro 1 bags, and they're bone dry. My Beato hardware bag did leak though, but a LOT less than the Hardcase molded plastic hardware case. That one had 6" of water inside. It looked like the world's saddest aquarium when I opened it up :) Looks like the water came in through the axle for the wheels -- it fully penetrates the case.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So sorry you have to deal with all you’ve described.

The rain was needed in our drought-plagued, fire-ravaged state.

May your losses now earn you the right to greater gains tomorrow.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles. I know how it feels because I lost everything in Hurricane Wilma when the storm surge pushed 4' of seawater into my house. Lost drums, guitars, PA, my CD collection, my pickup truck, my new TV, everything. It's a real kick in the crotch.
Be careful with those electronics. You may think once they are dried out it's all good, but in a few weeks everything inside will corrode and become a potential fire hazard. My advice is to throw away anything electrical that got wet.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, like the others I am completely bummed for you. I do hope insurance makes you whole and your even happier afterwards, but I hate you have to go through this. And those poor Sonor's.... gee whiz!