Floor tom batter heads

topher465

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Two options:

Remo coated Emp on batter/clear amb on bottom. You can also throw a coated amb on bottom for more warmth

or

Remo CS Black dot on batter/clear amb on bottom

topher465

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
TheArchitect said:
Clear amb over Clear amb tuned tothe same pitch. Don't worry about resonance. It won't be heard by the audience and its what gives depth and dimension to the sound.
This is true. Sitting behind a kit you always have to remember that the sustain you hear isn't the same that's being hear in the crowd.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
To the guys asking "what drums are you using", the 14x14 is Tempus and the 16x16 is Impact, both fiberglass. I initially hesitated to answer because if the suggestion would be to buy more drums of a different type, I'm just not going to do that right now. But if folks have an idea what heads will get me closer to the boomp sound specifically for those thin fiberglass shells, I'm all ears. :)

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
ludwig402 said:
Have you tried a Remo Vintage Ambassador?
My latest set came outfitted with them, and although they didn't work for me on the rack
toms, the floor tom (16", 3ply Lud, no muffling, clear Ambassador reso) sounds pretty good tuned low..
Less resonance (woooom), but still a nice deep sound and soft feel.
Works well when playing songs like "Come Together" and you don't want to use a tea towel.

Can't speak to high tunings.

Typically I'll use a clear Emperor.

i have to agree 100%

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use A Tempus glass tom and get just about anything I want from two single ply heads..coated or clear. I never use two ply heads on anything to obtain that sound. I'm more interested in attack and volume than I am warmth, which there is plenty of anyway...a little muffling on the edge of the batter once in a rare while when recording.Anything I can do to keep up with the snare and kick is the route I take most often. When the kit is played as a kit everything falls into place for me.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't mean to be Mr. Obvious here, but my vote is for a new Pinstripe as well or an EC2. I use both from time to time on my 14, 16, & 18 inch floors w/overall excellent results. Depending on the room, sometimes I find a piece of moongel helpful as well, other times I don't seem to need it.

Also, I hope this isn't too far out-of-bounds, but would you consider a new Hydro? I have used them as well at times, and they usually deliver the sounds you described in the opening post. (Of course, no moongel needed w/those). I still remember going into my local GC about 10 years ago, and they had a high-end kit set up on the floor (can't remember which brand), outfitted w/clear Hydros on the toms. Yes I was shocked to see that at first, but was equally as shocked when I gave it a quick demo--they sounded great! Probably would have needed mics at a gig, but the tone quality was impressive.

Gumbeat

Reaction score
I have always used single ply heads everywhere except my floor tom. My floor tom batter has always been a double ply. Use the brand of your choice, but this formula always gave me the results you have described.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another head solution would be Evans EC3s. I like the bottom end and control they have on low end. I switch between these and coated Emps depending on the gig. When I want fat that is what I go for!

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have believe it or not a coated emperor batter and a clear pinstripe on reso. I do this with all my floor toms now and the tone is always so fat..

Gerry :)

r.fryoux

Reaction score
I do a lot of studio and tech work in Nashville. The larger size square toms are always the most difficult. Depending on the brand that you prefer, there are several choices. The biggest factor in what you are describing is the bottom head tuning. If that head is not right, it doesn't matter what other factors are involved. You will fight the drum and get frustrated and never get what you are looking for. Try this with your current head selection first:

-Take the drum of its legs & place on the floor.
-Loosen both heads completely.
-Get both heads to finger tight.
-Place the batter side head down on the floor.
-Don't worry about moving across the drum type of tuning.
-Make small turns 1/4 to 1/2 a turn (this will keep it level) around the drum while tapping the bottom head with your fingers.
-it will go from no tone to an eventual ring and at some point, the ring will just completely open up and if you go too far, the ring will choke. You are looking for the sweet spot of the longest amount of sustain. This is the natural pitch of the drum. The head tells you exactly where it needs to be.
-Once you are there, you need to fine tune. Tap on the head around each lug. Find the highest and the lowest and compensate. Most drummers always tune up. This is where most of the trouble starts. Bring the low ones up and the high ones down (compensated tuning) till there as close to the same pitch as can be.
-Now repeat the process on the top head and listen to the drum.

Sometimes the drum is just fighting itself and can't work effectively. Once you have identified the tuning you can find the proper heads for the job. A big mistake that drummers make is blind buying heads because they think it will work, put them on, don't correctly tune and it kills the drum. For the sound that you are looking for it sounds like you need a 2 ply batter head. Remo Emporer, or Pinstripe. It's essentially the same head the main difference is that the pinstripe has the 2 plys glued together up to that black pinstripe. Sonically the area with the glue adds and extra muting effect and focuses the drums. They are pretty narrow in sound and are less forgiving in feel, but they are the most controlling. With Evans The G2. For what you are trying to achieve, I like the Evans EC2 Clear. It's a 2 ply head with an ultra light weight muffling between the edges of the 2 plys. It will not be as dead as the pinstripe but the goal is the same = Fat & more focused. To minimize sustain, you may want to go with a thinner bottom head. Remo Diplomat, Evans Genera resonant. Those combos plus the right tuning should get you square.

If you have any questions, give me a shout. I work with drummers and drum gear everyday. I would love to be able to help.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just beginning to realize what r.fryoux is saying. My ears are shot so I have to use the tune bot but it works the same way. It may take awhile tuning up and down, even with a tuner, but when those lugs get to the same pitch all the way around, the drum wants to sing and you can hear it come alive. It's amazing!!!

sherm

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Clear Remo pinstripes as batters, no other dampening needed. Reso tuned higher than batter, coated ambassador on the resos, suspension feet on the legs.

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I do a lot of studio and tech work in Nashville. The larger size square toms are always the most difficult. Depending on the brand that you prefer, there are several choices. The biggest factor in what you are describing is the bottom head tuning. If that head is not right, it doesn't matter what other factors are involved. You will fight the drum and get frustrated and never get what you are looking for. Try this with your current head selection first:

-Take the drum of its legs & place on the floor.
-Loosen both heads completely.
-Get both heads to finger tight.
-Place the batter side head down on the floor.
-Don't worry about moving across the drum type of tuning.
-Make small turns 1/4 to 1/2 a turn (this will keep it level) around the drum while tapping the bottom head with your fingers.
-it will go from no tone to an eventual ring and at some point, the ring will just completely open up and if you go too far, the ring will choke. You are looking for the sweet spot of the longest amount of sustain. This is the natural pitch of the drum. The head tells you exactly where it needs to be.
-Once you are there, you need to fine tune. Tap on the head around each lug. Find the highest and the lowest and compensate. Most drummers always tune up. This is where most of the trouble starts. Bring the low ones up and the high ones down (compensated tuning) till there as close to the same pitch as can be.
-Now repeat the process on the top head and listen to the drum.

Sometimes the drum is just fighting itself and can't work effectively. Once you have identified the tuning you can find the proper heads for the job. A big mistake that drummers make is blind buying heads because they think it will work, put them on, don't correctly tune and it kills the drum. For the sound that you are looking for it sounds like you need a 2 ply batter head. Remo Emporer, or Pinstripe. It's essentially the same head the main difference is that the pinstripe has the 2 plys glued together up to that black pinstripe. Sonically the area with the glue adds and extra muting effect and focuses the drums. They are pretty narrow in sound and are less forgiving in feel, but they are the most controlling. With Evans The G2. For what you are trying to achieve, I like the Evans EC2 Clear. It's a 2 ply head with an ultra light weight muffling between the edges of the 2 plys. It will not be as dead as the pinstripe but the goal is the same = Fat & more focused. To minimize sustain, you may want to go with a thinner bottom head. Remo Diplomat, Evans Genera resonant. Those combos plus the right tuning should get you square.

If you have any questions, give me a shout. I work with drummers and drum gear everyday. I would love to be able to help.
Best summation of what I have learned over 35 years of playing as well. Excellent writeup.

Reaction score
Coated two ply batter (e.g. Remo Emperor) with coated single ply resonant (e.g. Remo Ambassador).

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I loved the Evans clear G2 (2-ply) on top and the clear G1 (1-ply) on the bottom.

I now use the Evans Black Chrome heads on both sides which give slightly less overtones.

The Black Chrome heads are 2-ply.

Last edited:

towndog

Reaction score
For "FAT" - Aquarian makes a 16" Super Kick head for floor toms. I picked one up about a year ago and it has more tone than you would think.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Pinstripe/EC2/Performance 2 style of head is the easiest in to ballpark choice for you. From all my playing of these heads the Pinstripes tend to have the most slap and the Aquarian Performance 2 tend to be the most warm/round with the Evans EC2 in the middle. If you have anywhere that sells a Performance 2 head you can tell the difference in tone between the three just by pulling them out of their box and giving them a tap, it's very noticeable.

Joblivion0073

Reaction score
I agree with cplueard. I love clear pinstripes! I play CCM and Gospel.

Clear or coated 2ply like Emp or G2/UV2 are good if you are playing live unmic'd. Using an evan's e-ring is probably all you'll need. The moon gel may be a little much.

It depends on if you are playing with or without mic's. A more muffled head sounds a little better under the mic to me.

Tapping them straight out of the box is a good tip too!

Playing around with a different thickness or type of reso may help as well. I run evans g12 on the bottom of my floor toms and they sound great. Just food for thought.