Floor Tom Legs with Memory Locks???

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is a question for you regarding some more minutiae we as drummer seem to love...My new drum kit came with some very nice memory locks for the floor tom legs. Nice as they are I don’t think I would use them if I start gigging with this set and I’d like to get your ideas on this.

On my old Ludwig kit I would just loosen the floor tom legs, collapse the legs as short as they can go, and pack the drum in its case like that with the legs still attached. Then in reverse - set up is just simply loosening the leg clamps and adjusting the height. Easy peasy!

Now if I use these new memory locks I have to remove the legs and pack them in the hardware case. The hardware case is always already heavy as it is. At least by keeping the legs on the toms I get to spread the weight around and break it up.

Also, upon setting back up, since the legs have memory locks on them I’d have to figure out which of 6 legs goes on which floor tom and on what bracket.

That seems like a lot of work for something thats supposed to save me time. Am I missing something?

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remove the memory locks from floor tom legs. Makes it a pain when packing and also may add an extra step if you want to make a minor adjustment on the job.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use them on my CM floor tom legs. I like it I never have to fiddle with height adjustment

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I leave em on. Loosen the legs, shorten them and put em in their case. Setup.....pull drum out of case, loosen leg, adjust to the memory lock and tighten. I thought that was the whole point to having them, no?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I use them but only use one floor tom and have different legs for the two floor. I have short legs for my 16 and the longer ones for the 14. I have two of the three legs at the same height and one a little shorter so that the floor tom leans towards me. On this leg I have piece of white tape wrapped around the leg below the clamp. Then on the floor tom I have a piece of tape on the floor tom mount to use.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
My floor tom won't fit into the case with the legs but I have found a very simple way to figure which 3 legs go where with the memory locks on.
I like a slight tilt towards me so one leg's memory lock is lower. The other two legs I have at the same height so I can put them in either bracket.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My ft legs are a few inches longer than the case for the drum, so I have to remove them. I put zip ties on the memory locks in order to keep them sorted. One legs gets one zip, the second gets two, and the third gets none.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
My solution probably won't work for you. Leave the floor legs in position and don't bother with drum cases.

When I set up, I just flip the floor tom upright, and the legs are in place. No fooling around.

I despise drum cases. I know they're necessary in a lot of situations, but I still hate them.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
My solution probably won't work for you. Leave the floor legs in position and don't bother with drum cases.

When I set up, I just flip the floor tom upright, and the legs are in place. No fooling around.

I despise drum cases. I know they're necessary in a lot of situations, but I still hate them.
It’s ok to hate. I do have a kit that I use mostly without cases but they are fiberglass and I’m not as worried about those. I keep the legs on, flip it over, 12” sits on top and away I go to and from the stage.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score

I hate them also.
I have 1 set of bags i use for all my kits.
Got to where if im traveling with band gear in the van,its cases.
If im in a 50 mile radius and driving to the gig,uncased works and most gigs are local.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really appreciate memory locks on my FT legs! Here's a picture of my custom Painted Pearl kit. The memory locks for the FT are simple to set and I've never had any issues. BTW, the kit is going up for sale locally on CL. Time to let many of my kits go that just sit around!

-Mark

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used them on one of my Gretsch USA Custom kits for several years. I had to carry the legs in the hardware case anyway because they were too long to put in the drum cases. I did have to put ID tags on each leg to get it in the right spot, initially I did this with stickers but they didn't survive long in the hardware case and eventually I engraved the ID on each memory lock (A1,2 & 3 for the 14x14 and B1 etc. for the 16x16 with A representing the bracket closest to the badge then moving clockwise around the drum). the problem there was trying to read the fine engraving with poor eyesight on a darkened stage when setting up in certain venues. Once I could decipher the engravings the system worked very well with the floor toms ending up at the same height and angle every time I set up.

When that band folded in early 2012 I started using other sets for various gigs and might use one or the other floor tom by itself within other set-ups and so I removed the memory locks and have just done each new set up from scratch since then. If I were using one set often and on a regular basis I would consider re-installing them as it did somewhat speed up set-up time (at least when the light was good).

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On my CM kit there are two floors toms, the memory locks ensure that they are the same height every time I set them up.

My Gretsch set has one floor tom, so no memory locks needed.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I hate them also.
I have 1 set of bags i use for all my kits.
Got to where if im traveling with band gear in the van,its cases.
If im in a 50 mile radius and driving to the gig,uncased works and most gigs are local.
Another “me too”. I don’t use cases, I put the memory locks on top of the floor time bracket and put the legs up against the floor Tom. I use a players grade kit for gigs, and I’m not that worried about it. Had lots of compliments on it and they sound great. Fast set up with the locks. Gotta find one for the Tom mount.
ED99EDA4-24FE-477B-824F-819C39240588.jpeg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Here is a question for you regarding some more minutiae we as drummer seem to love...My new drum kit came with some very nice memory locks for the floor tom legs. Nice as they are I don’t think I would use them if I start gigging with this set and I’d like to get your ideas on this.

On my old Ludwig kit I would just loosen the floor tom legs, collapse the legs as short as they can go, and pack the drum in its case like that with the legs still attached. Then in reverse - set up is just simply loosening the leg clamps and adjusting the height. Easy peasy!

Now if I use these new memory locks I have to remove the legs and pack them in the hardware case. The hardware case is always already heavy as it is. At least by keeping the legs on the toms I get to spread the weight around and break it up.

Also, upon setting back up, since the legs have memory locks on them I’d have to figure out which of 6 legs goes on which floor tom and on what bracket.

That seems like a lot of work for something thats supposed to save me time. Am I missing something?
Not as far as I'm concerned.
Same reason I never use them, either.

Elvis

Latest posts