Floor Tom Legs with Memory Locks???

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I leave em on. Loosen the legs, shorten them and put em in their case. Setup.....pull drum out of case, loosen leg, adjust to the memory lock and tighten. I thought that was the whole point to having them, no?
Exactly what I do. Same as the old style, just easier.

m_anderson

Reaction score
My TAMA kit came with memory locks. I've never used them. Pretty useless imho. Takes less than a minute to get my floor toms where I want them.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Memory locks on the FT legs are a must for me. My Gretsch sets have those monster 12.7 mm legs and a heavy duty memory lock for each leg. I love the super stable feeling both pieces give me. I mark the memory lock and the bracket itself with a Sharpie. One memory lock and bracket has 1 dot, the next has 2 dots and the last one has no dots. One less thing for me to have to fumble around with when setting up. I keep the legs in my hardware bag, so not too worried about keeping them on the drum. Just a preference... I can see the benefits of the other way as well. Some great suggestions so far in this thread.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Here is a question for you regarding some more minutiae we as drummer seem to love...My new drum kit came with some very nice memory locks for the floor tom legs. Nice as they are I don’t think I would use them if I start gigging with this set and I’d like to get your ideas on this.

On my old Ludwig kit I would just loosen the floor tom legs, collapse the legs as short as they can go, and pack the drum in its case like that with the legs still attached. Then in reverse - set up is just simply loosening the leg clamps and adjusting the height. Easy peasy!

Now if I use these new memory locks I have to remove the legs and pack them in the hardware case. The hardware case is always already heavy as it is. At least by keeping the legs on the toms I get to spread the weight around and break it up.

Also, upon setting back up, since the legs have memory locks on them I’d have to figure out which of 6 legs goes on which floor tom and on what bracket.

That seems like a lot of work for something thats supposed to save me time. Am I missing something?
I use my label maker and make numbers using the smallest size. Label the memory lock and the corresponding leg bracket.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something here because I have never used them. Doesn't taking them off and putting them on every time you set up the kit defeat the whole purpose?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something here because I have never used them. Doesn't taking them off and putting them on every time you set up the kit defeat the whole purpose?
Perhaps you were seeing people saying they do or don’t remove the LEGS, not the memory locks.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I live & die by having everything on my kit memory locked into place, floor tom legs included. I'm using 16" & 18" floor toms and the four "back" legs are all set at the same height and the "front" two legs are set the same as each other. I can tell at a quick glance which ones are which, I don't mind taking them off & throwing them in my hardware case.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The memory locks stay attached to the legs on my sets. Legs go in hardware bag. When I set the kit back up, the memory locks help me achieve a consistent setup every time.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
My floor tom won't fit into the case with the legs but I have found a very simple way to figure which 3 legs go where with the memory locks on.
I like a slight tilt towards me so one leg's memory lock is lower. The other two legs I have at the same height so I can put them in either bracket.
+1. I prefer using the Memory Locks and removing the legs and I tossing them in my (admittedly) ridiculously heavy trap case, which is still ridiculously heavy without the legs!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As many mentioned, they're not needed. So many great drummers never had em. I've been play quite a while without em. Some people just don't like change, and that's cool. To each their own.
I'm about 6'4, with long limbs. They're very helpful for me, especially the locks on the Tom's. The kits that don't have virgin bass drums, these locks makes life that much easier for me. It's a luxury, may as well try em if ya got em

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I mark my memory locks with a different colored sharpie and mark the floor tom brackets the same color that corresponds. Works great since I have to remove the legs when packing up.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Okay, I had one of my first senior moments. I get it now. I've never used them, but I'm actually thinking about it. Fact is, I am really short with short legs. My drums sit so low that the top of the tom legs clear the hoop on the side that tilts in, and the rest of them are within an inch or so of the hoops. I think it's very unbecoming on such a beautiful drum set. My cousin has a machine shop and I have often thought about cutting the legs down. Memory locks would be perfect for tom legs cut to size.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of great comments here. This is a new kit for me. I’ve only had a few in my entire life. I tend to keep these around a long time,so I’m just getting used to the new gear. It’s the Gretsch Renown and it has the heavy duty 12.7MM legs that RCulberson mentioned. Very heavy legs and with nice big fat floating rubber feet. They do feel very self assured mated to the drum as he mentioned. I’m just used to collapsing the legs and keeping them on all the time with my old Ludwigs.

After reading some of the comments I realized I need to take stock of the cases I have on hand and see how everything fits. As it turns out I will need to take the legs off the 14” FT because the drum won’t fit in that case with them on. I was tuning the drum today and took the legs off and I have to admit it was very cool having the drum go right back in position with the memory locks on there.

I think the larger 16” FT will fit in the case with the legs on, so I’ll move those locks to the top so I can collapse the legs. It just looks a little dangerously close that the memory locks could actually scratch the drum when the leg is rotated to fit in the case, but there seems to be enough clearance there.

In reality, I’ll most likely continue to gig the 4 piece Ludwig kit just due to the usual stage footprint alotted, but I am ready to take this kit out for the right gigs!

Thanks all for the comments!

latzanimal

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
I started using 2 hardware cases. The tall Enduro for cymbal stands and a shorter Enduro for legs, tom holders, throne seat, pedals, etc...

But I am also not one to bitch about lugging gear. I knew what I was in for when I started playing drums...

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a number system with a Sharpie on the back of the memory locks but the kit that has them doesn't get much action these days. I can usually get my floor tom set up right pretty quickly without them.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DrumDevil9, I agree. Setting up without the locks is really fast. When setting up I just use my fingers as measurements at the ruff area, by setting them all the same then when I set down the one leg gets an adjustment to the angle.

Although I have been thinking of using locks. I have a friend that help me setup at times to get a free ride (he doesn't drive) and I pay for his meal. For that reason and for my convenience I'm thinking of using the locks. Plus, I my even look at cutting the legs to fit the drum case for ease of packing.

sherm

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
I use them but only use one floor tom and have different legs for the two floor. I have short legs for my 16 and the longer ones for the 14. I have two of the three legs at the same height and one a little shorter so that the floor tom leans towards me. On this leg I have piece of white tape wrapped around the leg below the clamp. Then on the floor tom I have a piece of tape on the floor tom mount to use.
Pretty much the same for me.