Floor Tom Legs with Memory Locks???

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Put the memory locks above the clamps.
That's what I do with my Export kit. Just loosen the clamp, let them drop to the memory lock, then tighten it up. I actually use hose clamps for memory locks. Work just the same but way cheaper. I don't use a bag for that kit, so that makes it easier. With my Gretsch kit, I do use bags so I don't leave the floor tom legs attached, plus I use those legs for my Breakbeat kit as well. Less hardware to bring.

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DrumDevil9, I agree. Setting up without the locks is really fast. When setting up I just use my fingers as measurements at the ruff area, by setting them all the same then when I set down the one leg gets an adjustment to the angle.

Although I have been thinking of using locks. I have a friend that help me setup at times to get a free ride (he doesn't drive) and I pay for his meal. For that reason and for my convenience I'm thinking of using the locks. Plus, I my even look at cutting the legs to fit the drum case for ease of packing.

sherm
Floor tom legs are too long these days to just fold in and put in the case. Cutting them is a good idea.
I actually have a set of the old Ludwig legs that are short. I should probably be using them.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Floor tom legs are too long these days to just fold in and put in the case. Cutting them is a good idea.
I actually have a set of the old Ludwig legs that are short. I should probably be using them.
I did that with my Export kit years ago and since then I've changed how tall I set it. The legs were too short so I ended up buying new ones.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I figured I'm never going to have to raise my FT any higher, so I cut the legs off just at the top of the clamp. I run my FT flat, so it doesn't matter which leg is where. No memory lock needed. I'm a weight fanatic, so I resented even the slight bit of extra weight of a memory lock. The legs are too long to keep on the drum and fit in the bag. Now I just run the legs in and up flush with the top of the clamp (times 3) and I'm done.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I figured I'm never going to have to raise my FT any higher, so I cut the legs off just at the top of the clamp. I run my FT flat, so it doesn't matter which leg is where. No memory lock needed. I'm a weight fanatic, so I resented even the slight bit of extra weight of a memory lock. The legs are too long to keep on the drum and fit in the bag. Now I just run the legs in and up flush with the top of the clamp (times 3) and I'm done.
Instead of cutting at the leg at the top of the clamp, might consider putting the drum on the floor and cuts where the legs match the height of the top rim. Probably a bit longer than top of the mount, but will fit in the case this way. Likely still have some height adjustment left.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Instead of cutting at the leg at the top of the clamp, might consider putting the drum on the floor and cuts where the legs match the height of the top rim. Probably a bit longer than top of the mount, but will fit in the case this way. Likely still have some height adjustment left.
Great idea, but I sit high, and it's a shallow drum. Even cut off, the legs extend beyond the height of the drum. Plus I shed the weight of the top part of the legs, and flush-with-the-mount scheme is kind of like an automatic memory-lock.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Equally as effective on the Rogers
View attachment 401129

Also use the tubing on the inside of my disappearing bass spurs, they drop out to the exact spot every time
That's a great idea, especially for the bass spurs! I'll have to try that. I have a bunch of tubing leftover from a different project, as long as it's the right ID.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have markings from colored magic markers on the bottom of my FT brackets and I match the same marking to the memory lock. It's simple, but I also only use a single floor tom.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My OCD needs them.

I couldn’t think of setting up without them.

Just toss them in the extra smaller legs compartment of the (already heavy) bag when the kit does comes out.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Haven't had time to measure but a quick look at the last gig, the bend on the leg stops at the mount (16x16 tom) leaving the foot longer than the bottom rim. Might still fit in the case; if not I may go to Home Depot and buy some aluminum rods and cut to size.

sherm

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Yup both ludwig and rogers 3/8 i.d. 5/8 o.d. snug fit. Used it on the vintage Greach and Slingerlands as well
I found some tubing in my shop that I had saved from another project and it happened to be 3/8" ID. Cut a few for the tom legs, BD spurs, and tom arm and they work perfectly. I'm taking the kit out on it's maiden gig tonight, so we'll see how well they work "out in the field."

IMG_20190706_123943113.jpgIMG_20190706_123957627.jpg

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Its a total game changer on the Rogers , drop it down to the tubing stop and tighten, done. No micro fussing up or down and fumbling around with the key. Have fun

Latest posts