Floor Tom to Snare Conversion Help

Tunnelbike

Reaction score
I just picked up this Ludwig Standard 16x11 concert floor tom for 50$ and thought it would be a fun project to turn it into a free standing snare.

I have never built a drum before so I was hoping to get pointed in a direction of where to look on how to do it.

Thanks.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ok, so you need to cut a snare bed, add 8 lugs and a snare hoop for a 16"(?) and 16" snare wires(?). What throw and butt plate do you have? Are the current FT brackets in the way of the lower lug or the throw/butt locations? Could be tricky to lay it all out.

Assuming bottom edge (and top) are good, I would do lugs first, then throw/butt, then the beds depending on how wide you want them. What about refinishing inside and out?

Tunnelbike

Reaction score
Ok, so you need to cut a snare bed, add 8 lugs and a snare hoop for a 16"(?) and 16" snare wires(?). What throw and butt plate do you have? Are the current FT brackets in the way of the lower lug or the throw/butt locations? Could be tricky to lay it all out.

Assuming bottom edge (and top) are good, I would do lugs first, then throw/butt, then the beds depending on how wide you want them. What about refinishing inside and out?
I havent bought any of the parts yet. Wanted to get a foothold on the process before I started spending money. I'll have to measure the distances between the leg holders first I guess to figure out how big the strainer and butt can be?

BlackPearl

Reaction score

Drum Factory Direct does carry 16" snare wire, but a quick look through the various styles of hoops didn't show any 16" snare side ones. You could ask them to be sure. I guess you could cut slots in a batter side if you had too, or even just drill holes for cord to go through.

Tunnelbike

Reaction score

Drum Factory Direct does carry 16" snare wire, but a quick look through the various styles of hoops didn't show any 16" snare side ones. You could ask them to be sure. I guess you could cut slots in a batter side if you had too, or even just drill holes for cord to go through.

Found a 16" snare side hoop with holes.