Floor Tom Trick

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
So those wrap-around mounts are just a gimmick?
i have no idea. i never used them. in 1986 i bought 2 Tama Superstar 18x20 floor toms. I ordered rims system for 14,15,16,18,20 toms. rims told the salesman at GC there was no such thing as a 20" floor tom. I made a copy of the page that showed 18x20 floor tom from my current Tama, old Ludwig, and old Slingerland catalogs and mailed them to rims. rims told me those were bass drums and i was pulling a joke on them. i told the rims guy he was a D.A. and decided to flip my 18 and 20 floor toms. the 20 kept breaking the 2 screw Tama leg mount and eventually i switched to Pearl mounts. so i dont have clue about rims mounts and dont give a dam either. my floors resonate and sing great even with evans red hyrdo heads on the bottom.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well known in the Sonor Teardrop community that the straight original floor tom legs reduces resonance greatly and many use angled replacements for that very reason. Funny to see what we all felt is a negative presented as a positive fix to a problem. Always felt the choked floor tom was the problem caused by the straight legs. Funny.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
It's not the feet, it's the straight leg. This is an old school trick. DW has been onto something with their 90 degree bent FT legs which add to FT resonance much more than typical FT legs. I find them to be as effective as any of the aftermarket ISO feet products. Mapex has taken the concept to a new level.

xsabers

Reaction score
The quick fix for FT resonance is to just hang your stick bag on it.
That will do the trick, but I imagine there are subtle differences in results between that, the leg trick, tape or gel, etc. Whatever works for the situation!

ludwigjim

Reaction score
I personally am quite happy with my '66 Ludwig 16x16 with coated ambassadors on top & bottom, tuned low equally around head with a moon gel PERIOD. Great warm deep tone

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Nope ! huge difference. also those tubes only extend about 1/2" insdie. you can always hacksaw them short.
I did the same with my 16x16 Pearl floor tom because I wanted it higher than the legs would go. I noticed a fairly significant difference in tone with the tom arm extending into the shell than not. So, I used a reciprocating saw and cut down all the tom arms on my Pearl kit so that there are no tubes extending past the outside of the shell that is directly beneath the tom mounts. The tone and sustain of each tom increased remarkably, and I didn't have to buy iso mounts :)

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well if the need is there, do the quick fix and flip the leg, it seems to work.

In 1994 I purchased a used late 80's 8-piece Ludwig Classic kit. All toms were rack mounted using the Modular mounting system (a big triangle brick with a tube through the shell), the smaller toms were lacking in resonance.

I removed the brick then installed bent legs and the Pearl ISO feet on the 16 and 18 toms because I was having balancing problems, both were on one stand. After removing the brick, the resonance increased a good measurable amount. No, I didn’t think about cutting the tubes, I think the brick was the main killer for resonance in this case.

I did the same thing to all the smaller toms and mounted the RIMS system and again increased resonance was wonderful.

Years later Ludwig came out with the ATLAS ISO mount and resonance seemed to increase even more plus the new styling was I think more pleasant to look at. Heavy, yes but worked well.

Last year I purchased a new Ludwig Classic Maple 4-piece kit. The 10 and 12 is mounted with the ATLAS mounts and for the 16” floor tom I added the RIMS ISO feet, a rubber foot with a spring that attaches to the leg. At times the spring is too flimsy and that can be adjusted. The Pearl ISO feet may have been enough. The new drums have more than enough resonance especially the 16” tom. In some venues I will use a small piece of jell damping products but most of the time I don’t. I just like resonance and that’s just me.

I feel the best way to kill resonance is to tune one head to a higher tone than the other but that takes time. Also, it sounds better than using a jell type product. The tricks of the trade should only be used for quick fixes in my opinion.

sherm

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that straight legs reduce resonance, but I feel that reducing resonance at a shell's point of contact is not a desirable way of shortening the sustain. By doing that you're effectively choking the shell, and that produces a bad overall sound to my ears. It's why we spend so much time, effort, and money trying to keep those shells as open as possible.

Sorry to disagree, but I think controlling sustain at the head produces a much more pleasing drum sound.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
In 1994 I purchased a used late 80's 8-piece Ludwig Classic kit. All toms were rack mounted using the Modular mounting system (a big triangle brick with a tube through the shell), the smaller toms were lacking in resonance.
Sheesh, I remember those Ludwig modular mounts on the shells - they were gigantic!

xsabers

Reaction score
I agree that straight legs reduce resonance, but I feel that reducing resonance at a shell's point of contact is not a desirable way of shortening the sustain. By doing that you're effectively choking the shell, and that produces a bad overall sound to my ears. It's why we spend so much time, effort, and money trying to keep those shells as open as possible.

Sorry to disagree, but I think controlling sustain at the head produces a much more pleasing drum sound.
My practice kit has one leg in this position because the stage is hollow and the bass build up is too much. I can tell you that the sound is very pleasing to my ear and not choked like you would expect from a mounted tom on a rigid mount. It's only one of three legs.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

In a perfect world you are absolutely right....but, the scenario presented here is a studio situation where you, or someone else, is paying for the time. Every professional relies on his "bag of tricks" to quickly deal with things like this without holding up the entire show.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it because the leg is straight, or does the rubber foot have something to do with it?

Tom mentions, the straight leg grounds it. Well, seems to me, the rubber foot is what prevents the grounding, so if you simply remove the foot, or all 3...??

Latest posts