Floor tom with snares?

kallen49

Reaction score
I looked for a previous thread about this, didn't see the topic, so asking if anyone has added snares to a 13" or 14" floor tom and specific details, especially about the snare bed?
Josh from Inde Drums posted about a recent kit which he added snares to the 14" tom, I have a 13" hanging floor and an extra throw off but what kind of snare bed would be best?

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't done it, but I do have a 12x15 "FT" converted from a marching drum.....I suppose I could have not removed the snare wires and throw/butt and it would have worked.......I'd be worried about snare buzz........

Last edited:

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
On that kit I used the same snare bed we use on our normal wood snare drums- shallow, medium-wide, gradual transitions. The next question is what heads to choose. I used an Aquarian snare side head on this. Using such a thin head does take a bit of "body" away from the sound of the drum, and reduces tuning range, so it's a compromise. You could also choose a 7.5 or 10 mil clear head, which would make the tom sound better, but reduce the responsiveness of the snares.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Do you want to turn the tom into a permanent snare? If not, I will give you a suggestion. When I want to add some grunge to the sound of drums (think drums as a prepared piano) I just put some guitar strings on the bottom head... bang instant snare sound (more like a marching band drum).

kallen49

Reaction score
I’d love to order an Inde kit like the one in the video or one of Inde’s Wayfarer kits.
(Sadly an unmentionable world wide health calamity has derailed my drum collecting).
Josh is the most brilliant drum designer working today imho. If you haven’t already done so check out his great vids on his youtube channel.
That he replied to this post, sharing all the info I need, proves he is also a good person.
Thanks Josh!

I have a 13” hanging tom, an extra snare and butt plate and time on my hands so just needed some advice.
It is part of my 10/13/16/20 orphan refurb kit. (The 16 also converts to a bass).

I will check out the Tama drum. Guitar strings is also an interesting drum hack, but I do want to be able to switch snares on/off. Snare buzz will be a concern but will try Josh’s suggestions,
thanks for the helpful ideas!