header.nohb.html

Florida Drummers Thread

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone in this thread is into vintage Ludwigs, but this kit is in Deland (Volusia County) and will be going up for sale soon.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hey all!

Originally from California, moved to Port Saint Lucie (Treasure Coast) in 2018.

Florida is an amazing and awesome state. They'll have to drag my dead body 2800 miles to get me back to California.
If I could afford it I'd be back in CA in a heartbeat. I moved here in 2004 from Tustin (Orange County) and was immediately hit with culture shock. Once you cash out and move from CA it's hard to go back from a monetary perspective. I still rue the day I moved to FL.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Born in Miami, raised in Hialeah, high school in Miami Springs. Moved to Northern California in ‘84, but come back often to visit family and friends and old band reunions. Deep in me, South Florida will always be home.

Ryukyu

Reaction score
If I could afford it I'd be back in CA in a heartbeat. I moved here in 2004 from Tustin (Orange County) and was immediately hit with culture shock. Once you cash out and move from CA it's hard to go back from a monetary perspective. I still rue the day I moved to FL.
I hear you. I'm from Central California. Santa Barbara. I would move back in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Fibes

Reaction score
Orlando. Been in Fl twice, for a total of around 25-30 years. Like all states, it has it's good and bad points. Will be moving to Upstate NY next Spring for family reasons. I used to work constantly in the Finger Lakes region and Rochester and Syracuse before moving to FL the first time, have kept in touch with everyone still living, there will be plenty of gigs when I get there. I'm very burned out on the FL music gig thing.

Tony_H

Reaction score
Orlando. Been in Fl twice, for a total of around 25-30 years. Like all states, it has it's good and bad points. Will be moving to Upstate NY next Spring for family reasons. I used to work constantly in the Finger Lakes region and Rochester and Syracuse before moving to FL the first time, have kept in touch with everyone still living, there will be plenty of gigs when I get there. I'm very burned out on the FL music gig thing.
Just curious what is different about the Florida music scene as opposed other places?

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had never been to Florida until I got a job as a corporate pilot. I ended up flying all over the state (and many others) and always loved my time there, especially leaving a blizzard in Toronto and ending up at the beach 3 hours later. The only crappy trip was in August lol. I could never understand people who said "nice to visit but you wouldn't want to live there".
Can anyone elaborate on that - legit question...

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had never been to Florida until I got a job as a corporate pilot. I ended up flying all over the state (and many others) and always loved my time there, especially leaving a blizzard in Toronto and ending up at the beach 3 hours later. The only crappy trip was in August lol. I could never understand people who said "nice to visit but you wouldn't want to live there".
There is a lot of "club work" here but the entertainment managers change every year (with officer elections), so you have to play your card to hold on to those gigs.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be playing Destin in a couple of weeks... does that count for the one day?

My inlaws lived for years in Jacksonville and we explored a great deal of the Atlantic coast and I've played in most of the state anyway. I like it but its to hot and humid for me unless I were to live on a coast, and don't have the cash for that!

robthetimekeeper

DFO Master
Reaction score
The only crappy trip was in August lol. I could never understand people who said "nice to visit but you wouldn't want to live there".
Most people just can't take the heat and humidity. August in Florida you're basically roasting in your own juices.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be playing Destin in a couple of weeks... does that count for the one day?

My inlaws lived for years in Jacksonville and we explored a great deal of the Atlantic coast and I've played in most of the state anyway. I like it but its to hot and humid for me unless I were to live on a coast, and don't have the cash for that!
Where are you playing? I’m curious where bands play around there.