Flying with a mic bag

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
My band is traveling up the Pittsburgh next week for a gig and I need to bring my mic bag back and forth.
it contains mics, cables and mic mounts and it's small enough to fit under a seat - just checking to see if
anyone's done that at all and if there any problems - my guess would be they would scan each item?

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
You're going to have some explaining to do with TSA.

I always find it easier to rent locally. Flying with gear is a total PITA. They typically make you check everything, then 50/50 chance it shows up or if it does, it gets held up for inspection by TSA.

Last time we flew, TSA wouldn't let my guitarist have his strat back. AFTER it had already been cleared thru US Customs in Miami. Somehow, after it was cleared and inspected (THREE TIMES) it got flagged again as a "possible gun/rifle case" and we spent 3 hours fighting with TSA to just open the damn case, so they could see it was a guitar, and not an AK-47 (that again, had somehow managed to clear customs and security scans 3x already on this trip).

TSA is brutally stupid, ineffective, and unpredictable.

I'd just source my stuff locally. You can rent a drum mic package for $50-100 just about anywhere and not have to deal with the hassle.

Besides... if you are flying into a gig (where I would assume backline/kit/production are being taken care of locally) why would you need to bring... mics and cables? That ought to be provided with the rest of the gear...

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
You're going to have some explaining to do with TSA.

I always find it easier to rent locally. Flying with gear is a total PITA. They typically make you check everything, then 50/50 chance it shows up or if it does, it gets held up for inspection by TSA.

Last time we flew, TSA wouldn't let my guitarist have his strat back. AFTER it had already been cleared thru US Customs in Miami. Somehow, after it was cleared and inspected (THREE TIMES) it got flagged again as a "possible gun/rifle case" and we spent 3 hours fighting with TSA to just open the damn case, so they could see it was a guitar, and not an AK-47 (that again, had somehow managed to clear customs and security scans 3x already on this trip).

TSA is brutally stupid, ineffective, and unpredictable.

I'd just source my stuff locally. You can rent a drum mic package for $50-100 just about anywhere and not have to deal with the hassle.

Besides... if you are flying into a gig (where I would assume backline/kit/production are being taken care of locally) why would you need to bring... mics and cables? That ought to be provided with the rest of the gear...
Long story but our own gear is being driven up by one of the band members prior to the gig and the rest of us are flying in - We are flying back early and our gear is being driven back - I'll need my mics for other gigs before he gets back - I'll look into renting them, that sound like a good idea -

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Interestingly, I flew from Pittsburgh to Florida for an Orlando gig a couple years ago :) I was playing electric guitar and carried on a POD XT Live floor effects unit. Inside the case were various types of cables, and it could've easily been mistaken for an explosive unit when viewed as a package. Happily, it went right through the xray without being stopped.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Long story but our own gear is being driven up by one of the band members prior to the gig and the rest of us are flying in - We are flying back early and our gear is being driven back - I'll need my mics for other gigs before he gets back - I'll look into renting them, that sound like a good idea -
- Who hired the sound company? Or is there one? If there is one, why isn't it handling this?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
- Who hired the sound company? Or is there one? If there is one, why isn't it handling this?
another long story - we're bringing our own gear/PA but our gear me not be back in time for the next weekends gigs.
If that's the case, I'm using another kit and will need my mics

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has the truck already left?

Check ahead if mic's can be rented. If not, send with truck and rent mic's locally if possible when you return. Or if worst comes to worst, would you have time to UPS/FedEx then over night.

Just a thought,
sherm

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last year I flew from Spokane WA to Indianapolis with a DW double pedal in my carry on. After x-ray the TSA agent pulled me aside, opened the bag and asked what it was. After I told him, he said "cool". No issues

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Last year I flew from Spokane WA to Indianapolis with a DW double pedal in my carry on. After x-ray the TSA agent pulled me aside, opened the bag and asked what it was. After I told him, he said "cool". No issues
I had the same thing happen with a Ludwig LM402 going through x-ray - TSA shouts who's is this? I raise my hand and he asked my what year it was made!

Santino

Reaction score
If you're going to rent, I can recommend Beckline (becklinepro.com) or Graham Audio (grahamaudio.com).
I know Beckline does backline instruments but I'm not sure about mics. Graham provided all audio and mics while we were there years ago.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Odd situation. I agree on renting backline - maybe contact the sound people at the venue to figure out an alternate arrangement? Worst case, you can ship them to and fro for probably a pretty penny...

Latest posts