Foot pressure/pain

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I use to play barefoot or with socks on for years. Then I switched to shoes, usually vans or chucks then to more softer adidas boost. Lately I’ve been noticing when I wear shoes the top of my foot cramps. When I take my shoes off no cramping. Anyone else go through this?

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barefoot /socks playing for about 50 yrs took its toll....well that along with normal ageing , wear and tear, resulted in nerve damage to the ball of my foot area into my toes. Need to wear shoes with plenty of padding. I truly don't like it. Cramping in my feet and legs after a gig is quite common . I load up on the potasium / banana's , hydrate heavily a couple days leading up to the gig. Helps a lot.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Barefoot /socks playing for about 50 yrs took its toll....well that along with normal ageing , wear and tear, resulted in nerve damage to the ball of my foot area into my toes. Need to wear shoes with plenty of padding. I truly don't like it. Cramping in my feet and legs after a gig is quite common . I load up on the potasium / banana's , hydrate heavily a couple days leading up to the gig. Helps a lot.
I’ll give it a try. Thanks. Just weird I get it playing with shoes compared to no shoes.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
So I use to play barefoot or with socks on for years. Then I switched to shoes, usually vans or chucks then to more softer adidas boost. Lately I’ve been noticing when I wear shoes the top of my foot cramps. When I take my shoes off no cramping. Anyone else go through this?
Maybe a stupid question but when you wear shoes do you loosen the crap out of the laces so there’s no tightness on the top of your foot? But maybe that would make your grip unstable though. My favorite shoes the last couple years which I love to wear at home because they’re really light and comfortable are the Adidas i-5923 (pictured). They were really popular and you could get them anywhere but I think they might be discontinued. It looks like they still have them some places. They fit true to size.
D04AF0DF-A380-4842-A300-6660E7498B0C.jpeg

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but when you wear shoes do you loosen the crap out of the laces so there’s no tightness on the top of your foot? But maybe that would make your grip unstable though. My favorite shoes the last couple years which I love to wear at home because they’re really light and comfortable are the Adidas i-5923 (pictured). They were really popular and you could get them anywhere but I think they might be discontinued. It looks like they still have them some places. They fit true to size. View attachment 495544
I wear shoes kinda similiar at least boost wise. Like adidas nmd and yeezy 350 so about the same. I’ve tried different shoes. Tonight I had to play outside and it was low of 45 so I wore my Jordan 1s and no problem but everything else seems to cramp up the top of my foot loose or tight. My jordans are super loose.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I wear shoes kinda similiar at least boost wise. Like adidas nmd and yeezy 350 so about the same. I’ve tried different shoes. Tonight I had to play outside and it was low of 45 so I wore my Jordan 1s and no problem but everything else seems to cramp up the top of my foot loose or tight. My jordans are super loose.
Do you ever try yoga? Some simple poses might stretch that out. When I hurt my neck and back lifting weights years ago yoga pretty much cured it. It’s not good for my arm though because a lot of poses involve having to put weight on your arms.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you ever try yoga? Some simple poses might stretch that out. When I hurt my neck and back lifting weights years ago yoga pretty much cured it. It’s not good for my arm though because a lot of poses involve having to put weight on your arms.
I’ll give it a try I know my lower back hates playing 4 hour gigs. That and a new mattress kill my lower back.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Yoga is great for lower backs. If you can’t find any indoor classes I’m sure you can find tons of free ones on YouTube.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got almost six decades playing with and without shoes. About 30 years ago I went to a heavy-padded sock with a pimp-sock (nylon) over when playing without shoes. That worked great until about two decades ago. I now play with a medium padded wool sock or barefoot on a polished flat surfaced 1/16 inch aluminum plate tig-welded over the entire collection of over a dozen DW5000 pedal footplates. Don't need no stinking toe-stop either. They were the first thing to come off. Mirror-smooth surfaces on all of my pedals. On some pedals I have Velcro that allows me to put various density foam or other padded materials on the polished surfaces. Replaced some of the OEM springs with automotive, aircraft throttle springs and cut them to size. I can still play with or without shoes, socks only or barefoot. I used to be a roach-stomper until I got in my late twenties. I re-learned to let my ankles do all the work. I have a dentist's stool/chair that comes close to the back of my knees. All of them identical and the gigging one in it's own road case when I used to gig. I've had them for over 30 years. You'll never see my knees go up and down like the cockroach-stompers of today. Gives me the greatest dynamic control! Kinda looks like I'm floating my legs the entire gig, but they're not. The entire back of my thighs leading to the back on my knees are supported. Ankles do everything and I can walk with the best too. One thing I learned early watching the old-school greats is to become mighty economical in movement. Saw that they sat high too. I went back to traditional sticking about ten years in. I laugh when I see snare drums below or at knee level. All that gets you is weak rim-shots. Mine can sound like gunshots effortlessly sitting higher like the old greats. Have never broken a stick in my entire life even in the marching band. Wrists and ankles have done all the work. When I see drummers today I'm reminded of monkeys hammer-sticking on the skins. Weak or no dynamic control, ride the gain and compress everything instead. Bass drum dynamics is everything. Bash'n and crash'n together with machine-gunning feet is mighty limiting to the music. Some of the greatest drummers have no strong chops. True to the music always rules. No thanks! Just remember, posture is everything. Even your feet will tell you how good your posture is. Listen to them and listen hard. They, your arms or your back will decide when you stop playing. Drumming has to be as close in comfort as possible to sleeping. Who wants to sleep on a bed of broken glass. I've always taught that drumming MUST be comfortable FIRST! Not a stinking workout. Drum on!

Last edited: