Foot splash / foot chick ostinatos - hi hat stand recommendations.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Currently using a standard Gibraltar hi hat stand and wanting to do better. I play splashes by jamming the edge of my shoe heel sideways onto my pedal, otherwise the chain and mechanism gets in the way of my toe.

Does anyone find they do better with a long footboard, so you don’t have to go at an angle when you splash?

If so which stands do you favour?

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a speed cobra hi hat (long foot board) and a Tama classic hi hat stand (short foot board). Maybe you have bigger feet than I do but I can splash and accent on either with no problem. Try splashing with your heel while throwing your toes to the outside of the high hat. That's what I do at least.

Groov-E

Reaction score
I used to do the heel-toe motion sideways on the hh, until I saw Mike Johnston simply thomping down without the back-and-forth sideways rocking.

I have adapted my technique and it now works great with any pedal using my whole foot (heel and ball at the front), provided the spring is not too slack of course. Provides better balance on the throne as an added bonus in my case.

I wear size 11 shoes.

It was an adjustment I had to put some work into, but I can now adapt to different stands rather than relying on longboards, which are not very common in my experience.

Hope this helps.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wear size 13's, play the hihat heel down, and simply taught myself to splash with my foot by letting up quickly. The only time I have to turn my foot is if I want to play bass drum and hihat simultaneously with my left foot, but don't do that often. Works with any decent stand.

Last edited:

drumnhands

Reaction score
The Yamaha HS-1200T is designed to make hi hat splashes easier. The toggle drive slightly increases spring tension as the pedal is pressed. The added resistance makes intricate hi hat work easier.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Thanks polycrescendo - I take it you use or have used this stand extensively yourself. Have you found any downside to it’s light weight compared to steel ones?

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Honestly it feels so robust that it doesn't come across as light weight. It takes a bit of trial and error to set it up, but once it's done, it's solid as any other stand that I've used, and well worth it.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Thanks so much for that feedback - extremely useful. It may be a showdown now between the Trick, the DW MDD, and possibly/maybe some sort of new model direct action longboard Speed Cobra - after making enquires Tama suggested I ”Check back on Tama.com early in the new year !”

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As some mentioned, you don't need to bring your heel up beyond the heel plate in order to do splash patterns. Same as with the bass drum, where you don't need to play heel down to let the beater bounce. It's a see-saw kind of movement.

Maybe if you want to play extra-hard, you need to move up, but I wouldn't use that move all the time, rather get some thicker cymbals for volume.

The longest footboard on a vintage pedal I know is the Sonor Phonic.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Ended up getting a DW 9500 XF, after deciding I wanted a heavy 3 leg stand with a floating top hat action. Compared it with the DW MDD: the eccentric cam of the 9500 won the day - much faster action than the MDD. Removed the toe/chain guard and my shoes, making the footboard long enough to do heel splashes without angling my foot every time. Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.

Last edited: