FOR THE LOVE OF STAVE DRUMS! Share those beautiful stave and block snare drums pics!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I toss my only example into the mix... A 6X14" of flamed hard maple and black walnut by Punkinater Custom Drums out of Myrtle Beech South Carolina.... The splay is only in my old cell phone pics, none in the actually drum.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Here's a few I've built over the years...

First 4.. Cocobola, Rosewood, real Tulipwood & Purpleheart I built while working for someone else...

Goetz Cocobola (Medium).JPG Goetz Rosewood.jpg

Goetz Tulipwood (Medium).JPG Goetz Purpleheart.JPG

Next 6 ... 2 different Zebrawood, Maple wrapped in turquoise, Wanult w/ maple stripes, Bubinga on the bottom, Wenge w/ Maple stripes on top

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:338089] Laatz Zebrawood.jpg

Laatz Maple Turquoise (Medium).jpg Laatz Walnut:Maple.JPG

Laatz Wenge_Bubinga.jpg

Have a Purpleheart w/ a Maple stripe and a Walnut that will have inlays currently in the finishing stage...

icetech

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a walnut stave that i had a guy here in michigan build for me about 3 years ago... last year the shell swole? swelled?.. either way.. i can't even get a head on it anymore... so pissed :(

gbow

Reaction score
Macacauba with chrome hardware on the left and Bubing/Wenge with black nickel hardware on the right. Both 6x14 DaVille shells.

gabo

Attachments

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing like beautiful wood crafted into a great musical instrument or other useful item

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with stave drums. What are the sound characteristics that differ from ply drums?

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buffalo_drummer said:
I'm not that familiar with stave drums. What are the sound characteristics that differ from ply drums?
I've never been able to A/B this with two drums of the same size, shell thickness, hardware setup, heads, and tuning, but what I've been told is that stave shells offer a slightly lower fundamental than ply shells of the same thickness because there's no horizontal (bend) stress on the wood.

Here's my Carolina Drumworks birdseye maple Gold Series. 1/4" thick staves with milled-in 1/4" reinforcement rings. Total knockout.

Carolina Birdseye.jpg

Video

Last edited:

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Drum Gear Review said:
I've never been able to A/B this with two drums of the same size, shell thickness, hardware setup, heads, and tuning, but what I've been told is that stave shells offer a slightly lower fundamental than ply shells of the same thickness because there's no horizontal (bend) stress on the wood.

Here's my Carolina Drumworks birdseye maple Gold Series. 1/4" thick staves with milled-in 1/4" reinforcement rings. Total knockout.

Carolina Birdseye.jpg

Video

Jeff makes some great stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My pride and joy. The 12x7 Jarrah stave block by A.D.M. (Australian Drum Manufacturers) from the 3th of May 1991. This my main snare.

The other one I just bought and should be here next week. It is a segmented block 14x6,5 Koa by an unknown luthier and unknown date (but it looks like a 90’s model too).

Attachments

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a walnut stave that i had a guy here in michigan build for me about 3 years ago... last year the shell swole? swelled?.. either way.. i can't even get a head on it anymore... so pissed :(
- Was the shell not sealed? Have you tried sending it back?

Ptrick

Reaction score
Late to the thread, but stave snares generally have a higher fundamental pitch due to the thickness, a real fatness to the attack sound, a more prominent fundamental, and less overtones. They tend to not choke as easily, and sound great really laying into them. React like a wood version of a cast metal snare.

A couple of my favorites, a Walnut and Santos rosewood (Pau Ferro)

3F7C5044-5C46-416F-BCF3-68C9502D122B.jpeg
B3498265-24F1-47AB-80C8-4DC0565167A7.jpeg

Latest posts