header.nohb.html

FOR THE LOVE OF STAVE DRUMS! Share those beautiful stave and block snare drums pics!

purity

Reaction score
Built this up from a very thin (1/8 inch) stave shell made out of pine or spruce (forget which). The shell is from Head Drums, I French polished it with a clear shellac and built it up with some Allstar lugs and die casts from Drumfactorydirect. It's not loud but it is very, very crisp and articulate.

View attachment 565940
Cool drum and nice choice on the lugs. I used to own an Ebony stave snare from Head drums and it was awesome. Really regret selling it.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Already posted a thread but I'll toss this in here...

Purpleheart with maple stripe... 7.25 x 14

Purpleheart.jpg

katulu

Reaction score
My stave walnut 14x6:

wal1.jpg

I first used this as a shell for my Sleishman snare, but decided to keep that snare stock with its maple shell and make this a whole snare. I really like how it turned out! The vent hole faces the player and is covered up by one of the lugs. It's pretty loud too. Trick one-shot strainer, S-hoops, and Puresound brass wires just because the ludwig ones I had on it initially sounded too scratchy for me.

Drumming-4-Life

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

purity

Reaction score
I recently purchased a snare from Lignum Drums in Belgium. It's a stave snare made of oak salvaged from a well that was found during an archeological dig of a late Roman / early medieval town in Belgium. All the hardware is brass, the staves are finger-jointed together, and the fit/finish are incredible. It's the best drum I've ever played and it might have killed (more likely wounded...) my desire to buy more.

lignum1.jpg
lignum2.jpg

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All of these snares are beautiful!

Here's mine -- a 14x7 Bubinga crafted by Terry at daVille.
5DpfFKafKcw594RcYHiWj0YbGd1W6Q0eiZecivpe9sphqpaWWTvevfR6tdBdERaZiJHg1fHdk49bRFKnSlZhh4N8AdMATEyyYvmDjoogoGUTHWns1fWWnEvIEo38bJ2EbovH9whgftPqt1-4

He really does amazing work! (Side note, I chose the Doc Sweeney strainer, and had awful luck with it. I swapped it out for a Trick 007.)

I'm trying to get another build together. Looking to do a 15x6 this time. I'm looking to give it a rich, woody, sharp crack -- similar to my Tama Bold Spotted Gum, but with the lower pitch a wider drum provides. I know that's a harder wood, and should have a higher fundamental pitch...but to me that drum has a dark sound to it, even when tuned high. Maybe it's more aggressive than dark...I dunno. If you can tell me where I'm going wrong in this description, please tell me. I'd like to get it right.

I'm considering Wenge, Pau Ferro and Katalox. Anyone have experience with any of those woods?

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I’ll keep it going with a couple I’ve built since my last post.

I posted a 13x7 Walnut, and then I built a 14x7 Bubinga, and finally a 12x7 Cherry. All are DaVille shells, 1/4” with rerings. Aluminum lugs, leather washers, Way beer taps. Here’s the whole “set”:

253E2C80-96FB-4877-899C-ECBD44C25B1C.jpeg
B8FF5516-5190-4E5B-B6C5-9634741205D7.jpeg
E1A6E738-0B18-4AC1-92B3-401F58ED5451.jpeg
5928A8D4-FB87-4E1E-809E-9A570ABB091B.jpeg

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I’ll keep it going with a couple I’ve built since my last post.

I posted a 13x7 Walnut, and then I built a 14x7 Bubinga, and finally a 12x7 Cherry. All are DaVille shells, 1/4” with rerings. Aluminum lugs, leather washers, Way beer taps. Here’s the whole “set”:

View attachment 567153 View attachment 567150 View attachment 567151 View attachment 567152
I never get tired of looking at bubinga. Terry is a master craftsman. I really don't think he gets enough credit.

Can you please tell me what kind of hoops you have on the walnut and bubinga? Are they stick choppers? How thick are they? Do they feel the same as playing with die-cast?

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never get tired of looking at bubinga. Terry is a master craftsman. I really don't think he gets enough credit.

Can you please tell me what kind of hoops you have on the walnut and bubinga? Are they stick choppers? How thick are they? Do they feel the same as playing with die-cast?
Yes, Terry is amazing. He clearly takes a lot of care with his shells, the Bubinga appears seamless. You can zoom in all you want, it looks like a solid shell! It’s certainly one of my favorite drums,

The hoops are dFd heavy duty double flange, they’re 2.3mm. They are very rigid, and feel like die cast but sound maybe in between a cast and a triple flange. They tune up super easy and even, they’re affordable, and they look and sound great. Plating on the hoops and clips is superb. I love them. (I would’ve used them on the 12” but they didn’t have them)

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So mine are made locally in Aptos, California by LARRY ARCHER. Website is archerdrums.com. He does incredible work. Always coming up with a new idea then making another one-of-a-kind snare drum.
I have a Poplar 6.5x14 [EKG Design], Birch 5.5x14 [Supraphonic clone] which is my avatar, and a Black Maple 5.5x14 [Supraphonic clone]. I'll be selling the Black Maple here on DFO and Reverb.
Stretch

Attachments

• side 1 badge.jpg
    side 1 badge.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 18
  • side 2.jpg
    side 2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 13
  • side 3 strainer.jpg
    side 3 strainer.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 17
  • badge side.jpg
    badge side.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 18
  • strainer side.jpg
    strainer side.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 22
  • badge side.jpg
    badge side.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21
  • strainer side.jpg
    strainer side.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 20

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm trying to get another build together. Looking to do a 15x6 this time. I'm looking to give it a rich, woody, sharp crack -- similar to my Tama Bold Spotted Gum, but with the lower pitch a wider drum provides. I know that's a harder wood, and should have a higher fundamental pitch...but to me that drum has a dark sound to it, even when tuned high. Maybe it's more aggressive than dark...I dunno. If you can tell me where I'm going wrong in this description, please tell me. I'd like to get it right.

I'm considering Wenge, Pau Ferro and Katalox. Anyone have experience with any of those woods?

I have a Pau Ferro Stave from Terry at Daville. I’d say it has a very musical, well rounded sound, but reacts a lot
Like a metal shell. (I personally love metal shells, so this suits me). It can go low and sound great, but it’s not a low, dark type sound.

Wenge has also been described as responding like a metal shell.

The types of woods that tend to sound darker are walnut, poplar, mahogany.

6F8BD6BA-655D-4601-A313-5F419F9E5D44.jpeg

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So mine are made locally in Aptos, California by LARRY ARCHER. Website is archerdrums.com. He does incredible work. Always coming up with a new idea then making another one-of-a-kind snare drum.
I have a Poplar 6.5x14 [EKG Design], Birch 5.5x14 [Supraphonic clone] which is my avatar, and a Black Maple 5.5x14 [Supraphonic clone]. I'll be selling the Black Maple here on DFO and Reverb.
Stretch
That’s so cool, I’ve never seen a Supra clone made of WOOD! What an amazing idea, and amazing drum.

Drumbandit

Reaction score
It's a timber called Gidgee which I believe is one of the most dense timbers on earth! It sounds as good as it looks!

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
GMS/Global walnut/bubinga/willow 6x14 (bottom left). It found it not to be dark as I was hoping and told from Global. I thought it had a hard feel and didn’t breathe when I played it. I sold it, but now I want it back for sentimental reasons.

Edit: It’s not allowing me to attach individual shot pictures for some reason.

81239949-3A98-4CFD-9923-62794BF1BD2D.jpeg

Last edited: