For the most-part, I hate guitar players -

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Never met or worked with a great guitar player who either wasn't; a. deeply in love - with himself, or b. who wasn't in some way slightly 'askew' personality-wise. I honestly don't think there is a 'normal' guitar player out there.

'Ego dysfunction' in certain people (when it's over the top,) is something I find ugly and I have always had little patience for it when I encounter it. I do not suffer fools very well I'm afraid. It's one of my 'short-fuses.'

Rant over... got any 'Mr. Wonderful' guitar player horror stories?

John

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Omg!! This is Hysterical. John, this is gonna be a really good one, I understand really!!! :notworthy: I need to talk to you on the tele, I'm getting ready to duco paint a floor tom!!!

Bigsecret

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've been lucky. I have always enjoyed the guitar players I've worked with. Now, bass players...that's another story.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've met a couple weird ones.... but mostly I've had good luck with guitar players/friends. Probably because I only seem to play with folks 20-30 years older than me. :)

-Ryan

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Omg!! This is Hysterical. John, this is gonna be a really good one, I understand really!!! :notworthy: I need to talk to you on the tele, I'm getting ready to duco paint a floor tom!!!

Pm me if you lost my number, Mark. Afternoons/evenings is best time.

I agree, it hasn't been every guitar player, but for some reason, the ego malfunction seems to effect all the talented ones. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with your front man having a healthy ego, it's the prima-donna's that get me by the ya-ya's.

Don't mind me, I had a rough rehearsal session last night. I had a guy that kept coming in either early or late after a simple change - even with me counting it out for him. He'd miss it then turn to me and try to put the stink on me for his mistake. We all just kept looking at each other. He refused to even entertain the idea that he was making any mistakes, it had to be me that was 'tripping him up.' It was a frustrating session. The other guys had a talk with him afterwards. I was too tired and pissed to care. I just wanted to go home. Hopefully he'll be better next week... or he's going to get a double 5A suppository! LOL

John

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to hang out on a bass players forum, and they all seemed to have issues with drummers. My guess is that a guitar players forum would have plenty of similar comments about drummers and bassists.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My older brother is your typical lead guitar/lead vocal/lead ego type.

All of my most miserable band experiences were from when we were in bands together, we made some great music, but I didn't enjoy making it.

And it was all the worse being the drummer and the little brother.

Dude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to hang out on a bass players forum, and they all seemed to have issues with drummers. My guess is that a guitar players forum would have plenty of similar comments about drummers and bassists.
I was gonna say the same thing, but you beat me to the punch. That said, I truly believe and have found that drummers are usually the laid-back, down-to-earth guys. Must be all the knuckle dragging.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i hate guitar players that love to noodle.
I've never met one who didn't. Pet peeve of mine. I mean, if they're that self-absorbed, at least turn the volume knob down for the benefit of those who do not want to hear you practice.

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got one for you. It goes back a ways, about five years ago now, but, back when I was still booking casual club gigs, I got a call to audition for a local start-up project, a Classic Rock thing.

I should have recognized instantly that these were all "buddies from work" who had decided to extend their socializing beyond the occasional Friday night beer, and instead, pretend they were a band. But nobody had told me this. I never join "social circle" bands*, because, if you do, you're the perpetual outsider.... you will never have a vote, you will never join the Inner Circle, and the band is always more about the socializing than the music, in any case. Now, I make no secret of my feelings about this. It was in all the fliers. My number had simply been given to the wrong people. But there I was, and I decided to run through the tunes and see what the band sounded like. In addition, secretly, I thought there might be somebody good enough to steal, later, for another project.

Now, these guys had some mid-level office-manager guy they liked to "pal around with" and they brought him in as lead guitar. He was the biggest a**hole you would ever want to get on stage with: enormous, all-encompassing ego (he knew everything about everything, he had the "I can top that" sequel to any story, and he never shut up), mediocre, unpolished musical skill, as obnoxious on the guitar as he was in person.

He had no catalog of songs... and, so, of course, he was immediately put in charge of the band. He was alleged to have a "club background" and to be a former "guitar ace"... but, watching him play, it was astonishing to me that he knew which way to wear the thing.

This guy would only permit the band to do songs he selected, or agreed to... and he couldn't think of any. He would noodle around, trying to pick out chords and arrangements, he had only the most tenuous grasp of even the basic three-chord tunes. And he played them badly, with hokey, tuneless solos. And then he would "drift off" into a little world of his own, meandering around with his little guitar parts, practicing little riffs over and over... and the whole room had to stop while he was doing it! We were not allowed to interrupt him! I started ~ once ~ to play a simple 2 and 4 beat along with his noodling.. and the b*st*rd shot me a dirty look!

By the end of the evening, the interest in music had died a fateful death but the socializing was still going on, the office gossip and anecdotes were flying fast and furious, and I was inching my drum cases closer and closer to the door, with a view to a furtive getaway. We had "worked up" very shaky versions of about five songs, and the bass player started talking about possible future venues.

At that, the guitar player huffed up his little chest, snorted, and said, "Oh, I don't wanna play any gigs, man! That's just a big pain in the ass!" and, of course, all the little bobble-heads in the room started bouncing up and down ("Yeah! Pain in the ass! Pain in the ass!" ~ like, what were you thinking, bro???), and I knew that was it for me. Elvis had left the building and was outside, waiting for me in the car.

The bass player told me later that this guitarist had hinted to him, early in the evening (after the "accompaniment fiasco"), that I was "not the right guy for the band". I said, "I couldn't agree with him more."

(* I always refer to these types of bands as "bowling league bands", because, as a group of co-workers and/or former high-school buddies, they would really be just as happy forming a bowling team. They only call it a "band" because they happen to own guitars instead of bowling shoes.)

PsychRed

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I live in Nashville, I'm a guitar player... great post John!

I gotta say this though, I've met my fair share of wacked out drummers, bass players, keys guys, horn players, harp players (especially harp players!!) and singers... definitely chick singers. I guess the chick singer thing is a whole different topic as is harp players. Geez, why do ALL harp players have a chip on their shoulders the size of Texas?! So, it all comes around and goes around.

Here's a great drummer story, for example: Sitting in the airport, waiting to fly to Europe for a 5 week stint. We're there early cuz it's an international flight. About an hour before the plane leaves... no drummer. Finally, the road manager calls him up.
Here's how it went:

RM: We leave in an hour, where the hell are you?
Drummer: Ummm, I'm not going.
RM: What the f*%k do you mean, "You're not going?"
Drummer: I visited my psychic this morning and she said it wouldn't be good for me to fly today."
RM: A whole lot of explatives that I won't type here.

Then there's the drummers I've worked with that liked to get high before, or during a break on a gig. Before the dope... magic, after... they sucked. I've played with some that like to drink on the gig, to excess... same story, they sucked.

Then there's the psycho drummers that like to throw their sticks at people in the band, hmmmmm... therapy?

"Hate" is strong word my freind. Just chalk you're guitar playin', can't count to save his life, bandmate up to another one of those guys with a six string that sucks and laugh about it. It's not worth getting upset over.
This is all supposed to be fun... right? :occasion5:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I've been lucky: most of the guitarists/bassists I've played with have been pretty normal, and a few of them are great guys and we've stayed friends even after I've left the band.
Maybe it's because they're all blues players, who tend to be a little more grounded and not looking to become rich and famous. The SRV clones can have ego problems, however.
The classic rock/hard rock guys I've met were capable of the stories posted here and I'm glad I'm able to avoid them.

And it's true that harp players tend to be a little odd or difficult to deal with - at least in my experience.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
hate is such a stong word johnny boy!! :wink:

mike

Latest posts