For those with multiple kits, how do you store your kits?

DD

Reaction score
This has been brought up before. The shells and bearing edges are made to withstand a lot of tension from the drumhead. I don't think stacking causes any undue stress or damage to the drum or the drum heads. Perhaps if you are stacking 6-7 or more drums, the bottom drum might be at risk, but, I doubt it.
That would make sense… 2or3 drums from smaller bop kit wouldn’t be the same as a giant tower of toms for sure!

Quai34

Reaction score
I have asked this on a forum, maybe another forum or it was a direct question to a guy who has a barn with 7 or 8 full big 6/7 pieces kits. Because for me, in the basement 12.5' X 16.5", there is not anymore room for any other kit as the 30 cymbals are on the kit, 3 wanted in it, 3 rack Tom and one floor plus BD. But as someone said, "plus synths etc".... Lots of for me, plus 3 basses plus 5 guitars and Amps etc.... Glad kids are not at home anymore, I could use their closets to store some cases.
But being able to display your collection like that is awesome, it makes me thinking if my late Dad with his monstrueux collection of minerals that I have the pleasure of havens 4 of it (We are 4 kids) but it's still way smaller than a full drums set.
If my wife would approve my passion for music, I would still have more but, well, I have also the Den as a mixing room (2.40m X 3.50m) so, not bad for a 3 rooms, one Den, one basement, one laundry p, one living, dinning room small house. I could say I have 30% of the house just for me? I don't count 2 high end bikes, paragliding, enormous amount of rock & ice climbing and mountaineering and windsurfing (7 horses, 12 sails, 8 masts,8 wetsuits, 3 surfs, 3 pairs of ski, 2 snowboards, 2 wakeboards etc...). Ok,I had a surfshops for 10 years and worked for Yamaha Music for 3 years!!!! That helps.
So, well, finally, I'm quite happy to have used the room that was left to put music stuff finally!!!

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 11 kits and they're all set up. Two in my main drum room and the other nine in the outer room.

This is the main drum room. As seen on Live From My Drum Room ;)

View attachment 524126

This is the room outside my drum room with the other nine kits.

View attachment 524127 View attachment 524128 View attachment 524129
My! What colours! Thanks John! I especially like the purple Gretsch kit!

Thanks! The finish is Peacock Satin Flame. Hard to tell from the photo due to the light.
Do you have a favorite kit out of them all ? and if so why?

That's a tough one. I guess I'm always drawn back to my '72 Gretsch Black Nitron SSB kit. Besides looking beautiful, it sounds incredible. All seven of my Gretsch kits sound great. The '62 BDP kit is very special. The Rogers kit is pretty spectacular too.

I got Premier kit in late August and haven't really gotten to know it yet, but I plan to. I'm using my '69 maple Gretsch SSB kit this weekend for a gig. It's nice to have choices :)

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have asked this on a forum, maybe another forum or it was a direct question to a guy who has a barn with 7 or 8 full big 6/7 pieces kits. Because for me, in the basement 12.5' X 16.5", there is not anymore room for any other kit as the 30 cymbals are on the kit, 3 wanted in it, 3 rack Tom and one floor plus BD. But as someone said, "plus synths etc".... Lots of for me, plus 3 basses plus 5 guitars and Amps etc.... Glad kids are not at home anymore, I could use their closets to store some cases.
But being able to display your collection like that is awesome, it makes me thinking if my late Dad with his monstrueux collection of minerals that I have the pleasure of havens 4 of it (We are 4 kids) but it's still way smaller than a full drums set.
If my wife would approve my passion for music, I would still have more but, well, I have also the Den as a mixing room (2.40m X 3.50m) so, not bad for a 3 rooms, one Den, one basement, one laundry p, one living, dinning room small house. I could say I have 30% of the house just for me? I don't count 2 high end bikes, paragliding, enormous amount of rock & ice climbing and mountaineering and windsurfing (7 horses, 12 sails, 8 masts,8 wetsuits, 3 surfs, 3 pairs of ski, 2 snowboards, 2 wakeboards etc...). Ok,I had a surfshops for 10 years and worked for Yamaha Music for 3 years!!!! That helps.
So, well, finally, I'm quite happy to have used the room that was left to put music stuff finally!!!
6, 7 piece kits? :)

Quai34

Reaction score
Well, yes, more, I had the large view in my mind from the ceiling, didn't pay attention to the number of the shells when I wrote it, but I counted them now, sorry.... I was impressed by the top view with a lots of kits in one place and then, maybe more about it and the beautiful barn than the number of pieces per kit.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, yes, more, I had the large view in my mind from the ceiling, didn't pay attention to the number of the shells when I wrote it, but I counted them now, sorry.... I was impressed by the top view with a lots of kits in one place and then, maybe more about it and the beautiful barn than the number of pieces per kit.
Just playing with you. Thanks for liking. :) The barn was falling down, and we restored it to give us much more usable space.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 4x6 foot closet in the garage. When the house was built it was where the HVAC was designed to go but then they ordered an HVAC that went in the attic so I got a closet. I put a shelf up top and have another shelving unit on one side. I'm able to get all 8 snares, 4 bass drums (2 22s and 2 18s) 6 powered speakers and a mixer a couple of my floor toms and most of the toms. I normally keep one kit in the truck or on a cart in the garage since I gig almost every weekend.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not only does Ikea have great drum rugs, but those Ivar shelving units are great for stacking & storing drums & drum accessories too.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to store mine set up so I can play any kit at any time.

View attachment 524206
One kit for each day of the week? What a nice thought to wake up to.....and nice that each kit gets used....thanks, you give me some good ideas for setting up my kits for the future...