For you "2 up" guys: ride cymbal placement?

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For almost as long as I've been playing drums (about 20 years), I've played either a three-piece, or a 1 up/2 down configuration. Now I have a gig that requires a 2-up/2 down setup, and I'm trying to figure out how to position my ride cymbal so that it's comfortable. I've typically had it low-ish and flat-ish over the ride side of the kick, but obviously that's not so doable with a second rack tom.

I'm curious to see pictures ("from the driver's seat" view if possible) of people's setups of this nature - I'm sure there are a wide variety of positions/heights/angles so I'd love to see what other people are doing!

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Put the two toms up on a stand, closer to the hihats ... leaves your preferred ride position more or less intact. May push your hats to the left a bit, but you can also try moving your bass drum a bit (as if you were playing a double bass kit without the extra bass drum). If you're mounting the two up on a bass drum center post, then you'll have to get used to the ride being further to the right or up in the air and angled.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If your using 10 and 12 in toms and they are not deep toms u can out your ride over the 12 as low as it can go without hitting the tom

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
My setups are just about like Stickinthemud's. I play the left edge of the ride. No problem.

Drivers Seat.jpg
Drivers Seat.jpg
C.jpg

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stickinthemud said:
My ride is all the way over to the right, just overhanging my floor tom. I stack a china on it.
This is pretty much exactly how mine are.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I seldom have issues configuring an ergonomic & comfortable position when using a two-tom setup.
Of course it's easier to do when using 10/12" toms with a 20" ride cymbal.

Positioning 12/13" toms with a 22" ride cymbal is much more of a challenge from an ergonomics standpoint. Obviously, you'll want to avoid any awkward reaching...everything should be naturally within flick-of-the-wrist reach. That's where ergonomics come into play in all of this!

The key is to configure the drum and cymbal dimensions into their tightest allowable space, which is sometimes a matter of less than 2 inches apart (from cymbal to tom) big gaps can be a waste of valuable space - you'll need to become a geek about this placement & ergonomics stuff - but take some time to experiment and it will all come together eventually.

Examples:

MapexShoot 004.jpg remobehind.jpg k.custom view.jpg SilverstarBopAbove 002.jpg
CadesonSet 005.jpg Sabian Encore 003.jpg CadesonSet 007.jpg MapexShoot 003.jpg

Zeta

Reaction score
I offset my rack toms so that my ride is still slightly over the kick. I'll find a picture

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth with one or two up. I am most comfortable with 2 up as I like a little more playfullness with the tons. I kept the ride just over the floor tom nice and low

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my setup. I play both 2-up and 1-up, and don't have any problem adjusting to the different position of my ride
image.jpg

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What gig insists a two up tom positioning? Are you getting paid by the "set up"?
Just drop the ride next to the second rack tom. The arm positioning is minimal, your a drummer
adapt and play on.
Doc

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
doctor dirt said:
What gig insists a two up tom positioning? Are you getting paid by the "set up"?
Just drop the ride next to the second rack tom. The arm positioning is minimal, your a drummer
adapt and play on.
Doc
My friend, for someone sporting the handle of "Doctor", your bedside manner is pretty abysmal.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's the solution that's worked best for me over the years...

My goal with this is too always keep the components of a basic 4 piece as close - and as closer to their original positioning as possible. So with the exception of this one change away from the flat, low ride cymbal position (which I've come to not prefer, even when playing a 4 piece) - as I add more toms and cymbals to a set, the basic 4 piece positioning within that never really changes.

OK so the ride cymbal...

1. put your arm into your normal position for playing your low, flat ride.

2. Leaving everything but your shoulder locked in place - pivot the whole arm upward till the stick is at about a 45 degree angle - all, again and this very important, WITHOUT changing the position of the elbow, wrists and hand at all.

3. Now place the ride cymbal under that current stick positioned - angled so that it is similar to the stick to cymbal angle you are used to when the cymbal is low and flat.

Now that might just work out just perfectly - so that cymbal sits just above the second rack tom, hanging over maybe the furthest away 3rd of the drum head (where you more than likely never play anyway). But depending on the drum sizes, how far you sit back from the drums, etc., you might have to set the cymbal just a bit further away from you. If so, just slightly open up the angle of the elbow (to add some distance from your body) and adjust the cymbal tilt accordingly. Of course, always keeping in mind, you want to keep the amount "reach" required as minimal as possible - particularly with any part of the set, that we play as much we play the ride cymbal

Hopefully these pics will explain it better.

DSCF0001_3.JPG DSCF0010_4.JPG lucca crigger markedup.jpg

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
dcrigger said:
adapt and play on.
Doc
My friend, for someone sporting the handle of "Doctor", your bedside manner is pretty abysmal.
I was thinking th same thing. As for the question at hand, I would leave the ride where you like it and squeeze in two toms up behind your high hat and snare.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I understand what you mean.One of the great things about the basic 4 piece setup is having your ride cymbal just over the bass drum. However, that was never my era. I have pretty much always played with two rack toms and I'm not changing now, except for the occasional vintage outing. So ride cymbal positioning has always been something I take a lot of care with. I have always positioned it so it was just over the 2nd mounted tom. I used to have it fairly high and angled down; but now I have lowered all my cymbals. The only issue with this is microphone spill from the ride. Here's where mine is at:

IMG_0887.jpg

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
In the OP he states 2Up/2Down - the added tom is the driving factor.

EvEnStEvEn said:
I seldom have issues configuring an ergonomic & comfortable position when using a two-tom setup.
Of course it's easier to do when using 10/12" toms with a 20" ride cymbal.

Positioning 12/13" toms with a 22" ride cymbal is much more of a challenge from an ergonomics standpoint. Obviously, you'll want to avoid any awkward reaching...everything should be naturally within flick-of-the-wrist reach. That's where ergonomics come into play in all of this!

The key is to configure the drum and cymbal dimensions into their tightest allowable space, which is sometimes a matter of less than 2 inches apart (from cymbal to tom) big gaps can be a waste of valuable space - you'll need to become a geek about this placement & ergonomics stuff - but take some time to experiment and it will all come together eventually.

Examples:

k.custom view.jpg
Now that puts everything WAAAAY over to the right. (Kidding, look at the throne).
I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate toms with my 32/15 setup. That was one of the crazier ideas was actually doing something like that. I think 1U/2D will work with the monster bass drum. 2D is certainly not a problem. 1Up should work on the side of anything.