header.nohb.html

For you singing drummers - throat spray

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I sang a lot of back-up before Covid hit and then gigs came to halt - I am getting back into it but I'm still have trouble here and there
while my voice gets back in shape - do any of you use throat spray at all - I did and it helped but can't remember the brand

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am curious about this too. I am not quite myself vocally either yet.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I actually sing lead in our band. Have been a singer all my life. I was blessed with a nice voice with a great range. I have had Covid 4 times!! Each time it has taken some of my voice with it. This last time I had Covid ( a few weeks ago), I didn't even cough really. But once more a change in my voice. Initially I tried Chloraseptic with no change. I then started drinking the hot honey and lemon together. Thought that it helped but stopped it without any negative change. Our band leader bought me probably 150 bucks worth of all kind of concoctions with no success. I don't usually like to drink alcohol while we perform. But I have found that the Jim Beam honey helps me. I usually drink one shot/mini-bottle per set. I've been to Doctors about it. They see the scar damage from the excess coughing from Covid but that's about it. I'm 57 but a non smoker. So my voice has really always been right on. Now....it's right on or raspy right on...lol. It sucks to have to worry about it. I'm not giving up yet. Stay hydrated. That certainly makes a difference. Hoping that some of you have found something that works.

Mike

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been singing consistently now for about 12 years... solo acoustic guitar with vocals is my main gig nowadays.

Fortunately I only do one hour shows, but I still struggle with my voice. Thank goodness I have not had Covid, but this year's allergies (Juniper trees here in AZ) has been the worst in years. I am always scratchy and mucus-y (is that a word?).

I find that if I do not sing the day before a gig (I like to practice singing every day) and then just do a short 15 minute warm-up day of the gig, I am OK, but I gotta drink lots of water, and not over-sing. Also I am a bit addicted to HALLS Honey-Lemon sugar free cough drops (CVS and Walgreens also have their own store brands which seem to be the exact same thing).

I also have to constantly remind myself to OPEN UP, get lots of air into the lungs, not over-sing, and let the mic work for me. I also tend to strain upwards for the high notes. I have to remind myself to glide up to them high ones and make it effortless ... easier said than done!

If there is a magic spray out there, let us know.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never use numbing throat spray unless you want to oversing and trash your throat.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The following herbal remedies have been recommended... anybody try these?

SPROUTS THROAT EASE throat spray

THROAT COAT herbal tea (maybe with honey!)

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about post Covid effects.
If your singing is hard on your voice, try doing lip trills( bubbling), at the volume and with the sound you're going to use. This helps keeping the vocal folds far enough apart (slightly less adduction) thus keeping them from banging onto each other, since you need to let enough air through in order to be ae to do the trill.

If you need to sing when hoarse, over here there is something called gelo revoice. Works like a lubricant on the voice. Recommended, but try not to rely on substance, work on your technique instead, see above.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had trouble a few years ago. I decided to go get a check up. Was sent to an ear, nose and throat doc and he prescribed Omeprazole. Turns out I had a relative of acid reflux, (can't recall the exact name now.) Anyway I sang lead for many years and in the past 20, or so years I sing mostly high harmonies . I have a little troble from time to time, but for the most part I can reach the notes.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I had trouble a few years ago. I decided to go get a check up. Was sent to an ear, nose and throat doc and he prescribed Omeprazole. Turns out I had a relative of acid reflux, (can't recall the exact name now.) Anyway I sang lead for many years and in the past 20, or so years I sing mostly high harmonies . I have a little troble from time to time, but for the most part I can reach the notes.
That's the range I found myself gravitating to over the years as well - I'll try something and hopefully the more I get to sing I'll get the notes back

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nope! Never used the throat spray.

The 2 biggest factor to retain your singing stamina over long periods of time, (a lot of singing many nights in a row) are:

1- hydration
2- sleep

Ultimately a good technique can help but you definitely want to keep yourself (and your throat) well hydrated at all times, lots of water, keep tobacco, cafeinated and alcoholic beverages consumption to a minimum. And again, drink lots of water. Think of it like nuptial gymnastics... You do 't want dryness there either...

If your throat is already sore and you have to sing nonetheless, I'll suggest something that may come across as totaly "out there" for you (it sure did to me the first time a singer friend suggested it to me!!!) but there are some kinds of supositories that reduce the inflamation in the throat. I know, it may seems like rhe wrong end but I swear, it isn't a joke and it WORKS. The brand I've had (and countless singers have had) success with iscalled Neo-Laryngobis . they are available in drugstores everywhere across Canada, I don't know about US or the EU, they may not be available or maybe under another name.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Ryukyu

Reaction score
I just bring along some Halls cough drops. Helps keep the throat moist.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nope! Never used the throat spray.

The 2 biggest factor to retain your singing stamina over long periods of time, (a lot of singing many nights in a row) are:

1- hydration
2- sleep

Ultimately a good technique can help but you definitely want to keep yourself (and your throat) well hydrated at all times, lots of water, keep tobacco, cafeinated and alcoholic beverages consumption to a minimum. And again, drink lots of water. Think of it like nuptial gymnastics... You do 't want dryness there either...

If your throat is already sore and you have to sing nonetheless, I'll suggest something that may come across as totaly "out there" for you (it sure did to me the first time a singer friend suggested it to me!!!) but there are some kinds of supositories that reduce the inflamation in the throat. I know, it may seems like rhe wrong end but I swear, it isn't a joke and it WORKS. The brand I've had (and countless singers have had) success with iscalled Neo-Laryngobis . they are available in drugstores everywhere across Canada, I don't know about US or the EU, they may not be available or maybe under another name.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Hydration well before the gig and enough sleep, definitely. No hard alcohol, it seems to dry out mucosa. Coffee seems to be ok, as is the occasional beer.

Once there is inflammation though, better take a break from singing, it might cause long-term damage (best see a doctor).

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
A lot of throat stuff is sinus drainage. I don't do it all the time, but when I had covid I was doing nasal irrigation with a drop of baby shampoo in saline. (Tip - non iodized salt is much cheaper. Save the iodized for food). I think it helped with the sinus and throat stuff.

drumboy1956

Reaction score

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Nope, nothing for me. Back when the air quality was bad, I lost about 25% of my range. Nothing but time healed me. I'm good now.