Forbes(?) Widens Coverage to Include King Crimson Drummer -- the Mr. Mister One

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
True story: In 1989, I walked into a record shop in South Carolina's second-largest city on a Saturday, and to my surprise, there was an album signing going on by a band that was either Mr. Big or Mr. Mister. Bit awkward in a Spinal Tap way, since there were only about 10 people in the shop, including the band members sitting at a table ready to sign their record for anyone who bought it. I browsed through the racks feeling a bit embarrassed for the band, but my strong impulse was to not give anyone in this store, including the band, the idea that I'd want a record by either Mr. Big or Mr. Mister, especially not even a freshly signed one. I don't think I bought anything, but the event remains clearly stamped on my memory more than three decades later with two unresolved questions -- Did any fans ever turn up that day? Was that band Mr. Big or Mr. Mister (though does it matter, really?).

If it was Mr. Mister, that drummer has been featured in a long article in Forbes(?) where he discussed many things, but not why his band has three drummers. Have to confess, I didn't actually read about the Kings of Crimson closely -- who are a bit noodly-doodly for my taste, but thought some of you would enjoy his thoughts on how drummers compare to computing capacity!

Drummer Pat Mastelotto On 25 Years With King Crimson, Recording Mr. Mister’s Hit Album, And Life In Quarantine

kallen49

Reaction score
Yes! Thanks for posting the link. I love KC and admire Robert Fripp. Insightful interview.
Re: King Crimson,
Pat explains that when you “put 2000 Crim heads in a room...there’s a spiritual unity”. I experienced that both times I saw them, in 80’s with Adrian Belew and in late 90’s when the climax of the “double trio” show, seemed to levitate 2800 people.
Having once met Bill B., (who was a bit testy before but pleasant after his clinic), it is not surprising to read there was tension between him and Robert Fripp. I must see them if they do tour next year.

Listening to Mr Mr’s “Is it love?” in this story I hear how much Pat sounded like Bill B. back then (and playing Simmons drums).

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BIG Pat M fan here, and of Mr. Mister as well ("Go On" would be in my top 30 or so records even). Thanks for the read and love the real life Spinal Tap reference. Regardless of who the band was that would have just been an awkward moment.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
BIG Pat M fan here, and of Mr. Mister as well ("Go On" would be in my top 30 or so records even). Thanks for the read and love the real life Spinal Tap reference. Regardless of who the band was that would have just been an awkward moment.
I’m right there as well man. I LOVED Mr. Mister. Pat’s a monster.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Pat is a monster player and nice guy! Such a unique style, tight and loose at the same time. His playing on XTC's Oranges and Lemons is great.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pat is a great drummer and a regular good guy. Used to see him a lot at PASIC shows (Hammerax booth) and in Nashville. He still has a gorgeous Montineri drum set I covet.

Cheers
Mick