Forty Three Years Later....

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I finally got a Rogers Supreme Hi Hat Stand. Actually I got it a while ago but today I decided to dig it out, clean it up (haven't got that far yet) and put it into my hardware bag to gig with...or at least try out at my gig this weekend.

The 43 years? In 1976 I wanted to upgrade from my 1123-1 Hi Hat stand that was original equipment for the Ludwig Hollywood set that I had bought the previous year. I'd already bought fiber cases, then an Atlas snare stand, and now it was time for a "better" hi hat stand (although in hindsight it's actually difficult and/or unnecessary to improve upon an 1123-1). I had my heart set on an Atlas 1124 stand but then Ludwig went and switched to the tubular legs and I was no longer interested. Then my eyes seized upon this little number in my Rogers catalog and I knew this was the hi-hat stand I must have. As luck would have it my drum teacher/band director was planning a trip into his hometown of Chicago (about 130 miles away) to get some needed items at Franks Drum Shop and offered to take me and another drum student along. We had already been there once, earlier in the year while on a band field trip (the morning was spent touring the Ludwig factory) where they turned us all loose for a couple of hours downtown, mostly so he could get to Franks and also eat at the Exchequer Restaurant below (his favorite), and we accompanied him while our disinterested bandmates were free to roam about downtown on their own. It's a wonder that all us "farm kids" made it back to the bus in one piece and back home among the cornfields.

So we made the trip to the city and downtown to Wabash ave. in the loop (I think Franks was within the loop, the El trains thundered by just outside their windows). So there at Franks was a row of current Hi-Hat stands, including the Supreme. There is was, shiny & new...perfection. So then, for reasons I no longer clearly recall, I bought a Pearl Hi-Hat stand. It wasn't a money thing as they were about the same price. I think what went through my 15 year-old noggin was that the Pearl more closely resembled the original (non-tubular legged) 1124 Ludwig Atlas stand that I had originally wanted and in a spur of the moment decision bought it instead (as far as I can remember the only new piece of Pearl percussion gear I've ever bought). A snap decision based on the fact it looked more like the Ludwig. A decision I was already regretting on the trip home. Oh, it worked fine up to the point that the legs broke loose from the bottom tube, in fairness that was many years later after much heavy gigging and probably hundreds of tear downs, so I can't complain...really. Since then I've bought a lot more hi-hat stands, both vintage ones (including several 1124s with the flat legs, but never a Supreme) and extra heavy top of the line jobs from Yamaha, Tama, and DW (but never another Pearl). Lately, like many of us as we get older and wiser, I'm trending back towards using as light of hardware as possible.

Anyway, a while back I asked a friend if he had anything he wanted to part with. He gigs and teaches drums (though his primary interest there is in marching percussion) and seems to always be scooping up cool vintage finds in his travels. He told me he had three N.O.S. Hi-Hat stands that he got from an old music store that he didn't need and offered all three to me at a price I'm too embarrassed to repeat. When I went to pick them up, surprise! there it was, the Supreme I'd been biding my time for. It had never been sold or used but probably had been on display or stored without the box. It's not perfect, but not worn out at all. I felt like maybe I shouldn't use it because of that, but today when I happened to glance at it I thought "why the heck not". I'll never sell it anyway so why should I preserve it just for someone else to enjoy? So it goes into the hardware bag for, at least, a trial run when the jazz trio plays this coming Saturday. It's not as light as other vintage HH stands but still relatively light and no heavier than the single braced modern HH stands I have been carting around.

We'll see how it goes, have I missed out on 43 years of the perfect feel or was the impulse to snag the Pearl the right one?

Rogers supreme HiHat.jpg
ROG-PG16.JPG

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Fantastic story!! I was lucky enough to also enter Franks with fellow band percussionists in 1978. Loved it!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fantastic story!! I was lucky enough to also enter Franks with fellow band percussionists in 1978. Loved it!
Franks was a cool place as was Drums Ltd. nearby. I wish they were still in business.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We had a few Rogers Supreme model hihat stands come thru the store where I worked, so I tried them. There was nothing special to the action of the stands, but the looks were heavenly and that solid "R" footboard felt fantastic underfoot. I loved Rogers hardware of that era.

Immediately upon leaving the US Army in 1975, I ordered up a new set of Ludwig drums in WMP, along with the all-new tubular-legged hardware. Because of the swivel feet, the hihat stand was terrible about sliding away, but I thought the looks were beyond measure. I still have a love for those tubular-legged stands.

By the way, I bought my Ludwigs through Ace Music in Florida. Does anybody know what happened to that company?

GeeDeeEmm

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good story K.O., ... patience is a virtue and it paid off for you in the endl!!!

I never made it Franks, but after touring the Ludwig factory on Damien, they recommended Bill Crowden's Drums LTD (really nice folks at both places).
I ended up with a maple Coliseum and 2 ASBA Caroline pedals!!!

Joe61

Reaction score
I have that hi hat and play it regularly. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands so a little unqualified here but I like the way it feels. If you set it up right on the floor, it will absolutely most definitely not creep on you. By the way if I may ask about the picture of the hi hat drop clutch in the Rogers catalog in your post...Did Rogers invent the drop clutch??

Joe

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have that hi hat and play it regularly. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands so a little unqualified here but I like the way it feels. If you set it up right on the floor, it will absolutely most definitely not creep on you. By the way if I may ask about the picture of the hi hat drop clutch in the Rogers catalog in your post...Did Rogers invent the drop clutch??

Joe
Not sure if they invented it but the first one I ever encountered was in a Rogers catalog. Might have been another Louie Bellson innovation. He was a Rogers artist for many years. Seems like an idea he might have had.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good story K.O., ... patience is a virtue and it paid off for you in the endl!!!

I never made it Franks, but after touring the Ludwig factory on Damien, they recommended Bill Crowden's Drums LTD (really nice folks at both places).
I ended up with a maple Coliseum and 2 ASBA Caroline pedals!!!
Bill Crowden was WFL Jr.'s son-in-law so of course they recommended going there LOL.

I don't remember the exact relative location but Franks and Drums Ltd. were pretty close to one another. As I recall there were several music related stores in that vicinity. On a later trip we did our best to hit them all.

Nowadays I guess Vic's would be the modern day equivalent, that and Maxwells. I've never been to Chicago Drum exchange as yet so it might also be similar. I've only ventured to Vic's once. I'd like to go back and also check out CDE. Truth be told I hate driving into the city and parking once you get there is even more of a nightmare for a guy like me from the cornfield part of the state. Maxwell's is out in the western suburbs and easy for me to get to so I try to swing by there 2-3 times a year to see what's new. I used to go to the Drum Pad as often as I could. They were also situated out in the outlying 'burbs and were probably as close to being a modern day Franks as you could come with a showroom with about 40 new sets that were set up! Alas they also closed their doors a few years back. Victor S. had worked there and when he left to start his own place I think he took a lot of Jim's business with him. I guess that's how it goes. Too bad there wasn't enough business to keep both afloat.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play a Big R set with a Supreme hi-hat and love it. I've had Slingerland, Ludwig and earlier Rogers Swivomatic hi-hats but the Big R Supreme is the only one that didn't creep. It came with the Londoner V set I bought new in 1982. I sold that set along with its Supreme bass drum pedal long ago but kept the hi-hat and am still using it after all these years. I have a spare plus some spare parts but never had to use them. I never really cared for the Supreme bass drum pedal though. Rather I use a Swivomatic pedal with 1-piece footboard.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play a Big R set with a Supreme hi-hat and love it. I've had Slingerland, Ludwig and earlier Rogers Swivomatic hi-hats but the Big R Supreme is the only one that didn't creep. It came with the Londoner V set I bought new in 1982. I sold that set along with its Supreme bass drum pedal long ago but kept the hi-hat and am still using it after all these years. I have a spare plus some spare parts but never had to use them. I never really cared for the Supreme bass drum pedal though. Rather I use a Swivomatic pedal with 1-piece footboard.

I think it was those lovely footboards that first grabbed my eye. I was equally enthralled by the looks of the matching bass drum pedal and wanted to get one to replace my Speed King, or at least I did until I actually tried one in a store. In theory the Supreme was an improved Swivomatic, in reality it seemed sluggish, at least to me. I kept my SK for another decade or so.

In more recent years I have run across a fair number of these bass pedals, used, at various local music stores (when there were various local music stores). Sometimes they were priced very low as just an old pedal but I never bought one, even just to have. I never once ran across a Supreme hi-hat stand though. I wonder if that means everyone is still using theirs?

Joe61

Reaction score
I have a couple of surpreme FP and I agree with you that they are not as responsive as newer generations of anyones pedals. It lacks the crisp feel under my foot. I can't get it to rebound as quickly as newer designs. My guess is that there is to much mass in the foot board. I did make modifications to the bearing design that caries the axel and it is a little better but still not as responcive as current day designs.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of surpreme FP and I agree with you that they are not as responsive as newer generations of anyones pedals. It lacks the crisp feel under my foot. I can't get it to rebound as quickly as newer designs. My guess is that there is to much mass in the foot board. I did make modifications to the bearing design that caries the axel and it is a little better but still not as responcive as current day designs.
It almost has to be that footboard as the rest of the pedal is more or less the same as the swivomatic. That extra mass in the footboard wouldn't be much of an issue on a HH stand but on a bass pedal it can kill the feel. At least for some players. I feel the same way on my DW 9000 pedal vs. the 5000 series ones that I actually use.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've owned and played both the Supreme and earlier Swivomatic Rogers hihat stands. Although a little heavier, the straight down pull action of the Supreme to me is just that much more smooth.
(But I recently went modern and now I play a Trick.)

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I have a pre-Memrilock Rogers Supreme stand, a tubular Slingerland BR, and a Capelle/Promark hi-hat stand - all in near mint condition. The Supreme is by far my favorite.

I used to have your exact model, and a matching bass pedal, but my socks kept sliding off the Big R versions!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
From someone's post on another forum about vintage hardware...

"I did have a Supreme bass drum pedal that failed, though....never really liked it, anyway."

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a pre-Memrilock Rogers Supreme stand, a tubular Slingerland BR, and a Capelle/Promark hi-hat stand - all in near mint condition. The Supreme is by far my favorite.
I vaguely recall that the pre-memriloc Supreme had a series of rings embossed in the lower portion of the upper tube to help hold the height adjustment. Is that correct or did I dream it?

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I vaguely recall that the pre-memriloc Supreme had a series of rings embossed in the lower portion of the upper tube to help hold the height adjustment. Is that correct or did I dream it?
You are correct. I have that model and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Chris Furfaro

Reaction score
I own two Memri Loc Supreme HH stands among others.They're my favorite.In the past I've owned the swivo & the ribbed Supreme,too