FOUND - 80's Square Badge Gretsch 14x14 Floor Tom - Any lacquer finish

jhall

Reaction score
I realize these are a bit rare, but I'm wanting to add to my 80's Gretsch kit and have it refinished in Porcaro Blue by Bill D. of PorkPie Percussion to match the rest of my drums.

Let me know what you have. I can trade drums/cymbals or cash!

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffdrummerhall@gmail.com

Reaction score
Jeff,
Firstly, sorry I don't have what you are looking for. But I can tell you one thing. I looked for a used Gretsch 14x14 (of any era) for 20+ years! I didn't care about color, because I was going to re-wrapping it to match my Black Nitrons. I had a black wrapped Slingerland (with Gretsch DC hoops) as a placeholder so I could be patient.

I only wound up getting one because I saw a picture that someone (on another forum) had posted on an unrelated subject, and there was a Black wrapped RB 14x14 in the background. I was proactive, and I asked him if he would even consider selling it, and he replied that he had been thinking about it. I asked what he would sell it for, and I paypal'ed him IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Moral to the story, they are hard, maybe impossible to find, so I wish you luck!!! Be proactive, have the dough, and be ready to pounce immediately (if you find one.)

Related question.... What is "Porcaro Blue?" What I would guess is that Jeff's prized Gretsch kit was blue, do you have a good color picture of it that you can post? I love blue drums.

Good luck with the search, and the project!
MSG

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nom, I have 2 RB 14x14's - one a bare shell I had Precision wrap in red glass glitter to match a kit, and the other a BDP for an Elvin Jones tribute kit I am making. Very hard to find but they do come up. You can get new USA ones from that guy on eBay (himonwry) - I've scored 2-3 of them and they were pretty darn good. Add your own hardware and voila.

OP: I've mostly seen 12x14's in that era - and usually hanging toms, too. That's gonna probably be nearly as hard as finding a RB or SSB 14x14........good luck.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Square badge 14x14’s are hard to find, but not that hard. There were a few on Reverb and ebay earlier this year. One was walnut and the other was natural if I remember correctly.

dingaling

Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple here and there on the bay. Look on eBay for Gretsch Jasper (which was square badge) when you search. You’ll find one.

Also let’s see pic of the others in that blue.

dingaling

Reaction score
One more thing... just my preference but I would only buy/play Gretsch during square badge era. Best quality shells, quality control, and they were Jasper IMHO.

New ones (2018/2019) close second. Round badge are great but different sounding.

To each their own.

jhall

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I agree that they aren't THAT difficult to find, but of course when you are looking, they are scarce.
"Porcaro Blue" is a finish that Bill Detamore (Pork Pie) created for Jeff P. on his last kit (Live In Paris - DVD). It wasn't a Pearl kit, but shells that Bill sourced, to match a very specific color that Jeff requested from album artwork. Bill painted the drums in THAT Blue, and painted the interiors black, and then all the Pearl hardware was also black powdercoated, but they weren't 'Pearl' shells.

I bought a kit that had 2 22's, 2 10's, 12, 13, 16. I kept one of the 22's and the 10-16. The nitro was heavily checked, and I sent the drums to Bill. He took the 12 (10" deep) down to 8" deep, centered the badge and filled the hole, and edged all the drums. They are INCREDIBLE!! I want a 14" and maybe a 20 & 24 but have other kits with those size kicks.

Here are a couple pics. The 5 piece photo is outdoors and the color is a little washed out. The others are more correct to color, and they look fantasic! I'm a GIANT Porcaro fan and it was a fun project to put together and Bill absolutely knocked it out.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Latest posts