FOUND Cheap bop/jazz kit

Stpdrummer

Very well Known Member
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
508
Reaction score
22
Location
St. Paul, MN
FOUND. Looking for a cheap used 12/14/18 or 12/14/20 jazz kit. Hoping to find something under $500. I also have tons of cymbals to work in a trade as well.
 

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Joined
Apr 8, 2012
Messages
3,094
Reaction score
77
Location
Mass
just find a 18 kick, and do magic, i dont get the concept as a 20 or even a 22 kick not only sounds better but isnt that much more of a hassle to move, but if its a wish list thing go for it, and enjoy. Ive found the footprint of a smaller kit is not worth the compromise of a full kit, unless your playing in a closet
 

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2013
Messages
806
Reaction score
82
Location
Ontario, Canada
Dean said:
just find a 18 kick, and do magic, i dont get the concept as a 20 or even a 22 kick not only sounds better but isnt that much more of a hassle to move, but if its a wish list thing go for it, and enjoy. Ive found the footprint of a smaller kit is not worth the compromise of a full kit, unless your playing in a closet
Better is a rather subjective term isn't it? It can be a bit tough to get an authentic bop tone and feel out of an 18x22" cannon.
 

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
8,023
Reaction score
1,090
Location
Pebble Beach, CA
My buddy had a cobbled DW "bop" kit - 8x10 rack, 10x14 FT but a 14x22 thunderous bass. The 10 and 14 were fine, and we got a nice boomy bass sound, but the bass drum volume was just way too much. He had to make extra efforts to feather the bass and it still overpowered - it sounded like a distant cannon.
It was cool to think about the fact that you could just stomp on it if needed but that would be way too much for most jazz applications.......

I've had 16/18/20/22/24 basses - I think 18 is the "best" for the jazz sound I seek. I can make a 16 or a 20 work depending on the situation, but you can take an 18 up or down, too...........and it's quite lighter than a 22....

OP: Your best bet is a Catalina Jazz kit, or something similar, unless you get lucky and find a better kit for cheap.
 

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
1,275
Reaction score
64
Location
Toluca Lake Ca
Stpdrummer said:
Looking for a cheap used 12/14/18 or 12/14/20 jazz kit. Hoping to find something under $500. I also have tons of cymbals to work in a trade as well.
I bet you can find a used Gretsch Catalina set for around that price in either configuration ...
 

Stpdrummer

Very well Known Member
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
508
Reaction score
22
Location
St. Paul, MN
Still looking. I sold some extra cymbals so my budget can increase a bit. I'm still trying to be relatively cheap though.
 

amosguy

DFO Master
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
4,233
Reaction score
264
Location
Redmond, WA
How about 10-12-14-18 orphan shell set? Birch toms, mahogany bass. Vintage Premier hardware all around. Been used quite nicely for small clubs blues band. $450 + shipping from Seattle area? Can toss in some mismatched, but good soft cases.

Premier 5.JPG
 

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2013
Messages
1,291
Reaction score
291
Location
Normal, IL
Seems to me the hardest part about getting a cheap bop size kit would be to choose from the many offerings out there between $300 and $1000.

Put Aquarian Modern Vintage skins on a Ludwig Breakbeat kit and (obviously TOTALLY my opinion) it sounds very much like one of those highly prized "round badge" kits.
 

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
4,895
Reaction score
104
Location
Chicago IL.
Ickybaby said:
Seems to me the hardest part about getting a cheap bop size kit would be to choose from the many offerings out there between $300 and $1000.

Put Aquarian Modern Vintage skins on a Ludwig Breakbeat kit and (obviously TOTALLY my opinion) it sounds very much like one of those highly prized "round badge" kits.
Those Breakbeat kits do sound great.
 


Top