FOUND Cheap bop/jazz kit

Stpdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FOUND. Looking for a cheap used 12/14/18 or 12/14/20 jazz kit. Hoping to find something under $500. I also have tons of cymbals to work in a trade as well.

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
just find a 18 kick, and do magic, i dont get the concept as a 20 or even a 22 kick not only sounds better but isnt that much more of a hassle to move, but if its a wish list thing go for it, and enjoy. Ive found the footprint of a smaller kit is not worth the compromise of a full kit, unless your playing in a closet

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dean said:
just find a 18 kick, and do magic, i dont get the concept as a 20 or even a 22 kick not only sounds better but isnt that much more of a hassle to move, but if its a wish list thing go for it, and enjoy. Ive found the footprint of a smaller kit is not worth the compromise of a full kit, unless your playing in a closet
Better is a rather subjective term isn't it? It can be a bit tough to get an authentic bop tone and feel out of an 18x22" cannon.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My buddy had a cobbled DW "bop" kit - 8x10 rack, 10x14 FT but a 14x22 thunderous bass. The 10 and 14 were fine, and we got a nice boomy bass sound, but the bass drum volume was just way too much. He had to make extra efforts to feather the bass and it still overpowered - it sounded like a distant cannon.
It was cool to think about the fact that you could just stomp on it if needed but that would be way too much for most jazz applications.......

I've had 16/18/20/22/24 basses - I think 18 is the "best" for the jazz sound I seek. I can make a 16 or a 20 work depending on the situation, but you can take an 18 up or down, too...........and it's quite lighter than a 22....

OP: Your best bet is a Catalina Jazz kit, or something similar, unless you get lucky and find a better kit for cheap.

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stpdrummer said:
Looking for a cheap used 12/14/18 or 12/14/20 jazz kit. Hoping to find something under $500. I also have tons of cymbals to work in a trade as well.
I bet you can find a used Gretsch Catalina set for around that price in either configuration ...

Stpdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Still looking. I sold some extra cymbals so my budget can increase a bit. I'm still trying to be relatively cheap though.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
How about 10-12-14-18 orphan shell set? Birch toms, mahogany bass. Vintage Premier hardware all around. Been used quite nicely for small clubs blues band. $450 + shipping from Seattle area? Can toss in some mismatched, but good soft cases.

Premier 5.JPG

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems to me the hardest part about getting a cheap bop size kit would be to choose from the many offerings out there between $300 and $1000.

Put Aquarian Modern Vintage skins on a Ludwig Breakbeat kit and (obviously TOTALLY my opinion) it sounds very much like one of those highly prized "round badge" kits.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
Ickybaby said:
Seems to me the hardest part about getting a cheap bop size kit would be to choose from the many offerings out there between $300 and $1000.

Put Aquarian Modern Vintage skins on a Ludwig Breakbeat kit and (obviously TOTALLY my opinion) it sounds very much like one of those highly prized "round badge" kits.
Those Breakbeat kits do sound great.