Four piece with a ten up and sixteen down…

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I have been soaking up Benny Greb (my favourite drummer) and the recent Zappa thread had a Vinnie video… and both are playing four piece kits with a 10 up and a 16 floor tom. The last few years, I’ve been playing both my kits as a four piece, with 22, 12, 16 and snare, but tonight on my Tempus I parked the 12 and substituted it with a 10. And I gotta say, maybe it’s a honeymoon phase, but the 10 to 16 combo sounded great. Much better than 12 to 16. The pop of the 10 against the rumble of the 16, really sounds great.

Now, I’m thinking, I’m gonna have to re-wrap an orphan 10 I’ve got, to use with my Tamas. Where can I get some gloss cream wrap for just a single tom?

Anyone else use 10 and 16 toms in your four piece?

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Make your own wrap. Get a color sample, get it mixed at the hardrare store. Paint the inside of a glossy piece of plastic sheet and apply to your 10" with some double sided carpet tape.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can see the appeal of the 10/16 for some styles; the clarity of the small tom, fusion-y but sparse, the hole in the middle can be nice. If you like the 4-piece becuase of the ride positioning options, you could add the 12 back in somewhere else??

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not exactly the same, but the 10/14 split was heavily en vogue when I was doing most of my "out" playing in my early 20's (late 90's/early 00's).

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
nd the recent Zappa thread had a Vinnie video…
yea he brought just the 10 to the 'small' gig..re-added (it's a word..) the 12 for the evening shebang.
I wouldn't read too much into it..that particular instance))
Also those vids were proof he uses..the blue snare ; )

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like 10/15 for my blues/funk band. Good spread.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a 10/15 setup out of necessity, but it has a good spread. I do miss the meat of a 12'' sometimes, but the 10'' is much quicker to play.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
dawned on me and I been advocating it for a year. Where a "10" belongs...

hmm. seems to be catching on; with a resurgence
~~~~~

remember those vintage sets that would have a pair of bongos (to the right) next to the 13 or 12 mounted tom? yeah that's the idea..

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
dawned on me and I been advocating it for a year. Where a "10" belongs...

hmm. seems to be catching on; with a resurgence
~~~~~

remember those vintage sets that would have a pair of bongos next the 13 or 12 mounted tom? yeah that's the idea..
Unless Keith's playing 18" sticks, that's a 14 down.

Reactions: JDA

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
10/16 is a great setup. I find these 2 drums naturally tune to be 1 octave apart. The 10" adds that nice poppy accent and plays nice with the snare on fills while the 16" is the low rumble and plays well with the bass drum on fills.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For years playing greasy foul funk, I used an old Sonor birch with a 20” kick and 10 up, 14 down. I feel the 14” floor works well with a 20” kick.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny how things can go here at DFO--a while back somebody started a very similar thread and there was a lot of negative feedback on have a 10 as a single rack. I still remember someone saying it was like "a ringing bell" every time he hit it.
Personally I say play whatever you want but personally I probably wouldn't do it--a 12 is usually my smallest "stand alone" rack and I usually prefer a 13 (or *gulp*) a 14!!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my case, using that 10" rack wasn't my plan. I'd bought the Sonor kit used because it was a great deal and I wanted a smaller kit. It was sitting in Sam Adato's in SF and pulled me in. I mean it had a gravitational force. But it was missing the middle tom. I thought I'd find a 12 down the road and sell the ten. At the time finding a 12 with the matching scandi finish proved problematic in both supply and cost. As I grew accustomed to the 10, I stopped looking for a 12.

Using that smaller rack tom really suited the music I was playing at the time. We had a conga player who played go-go style with mostly open tones, so the higher tom sat in a sonic chair of it's own rather than in someone's lap.

Now I'm playing more rock and roots oriented music, and that birch sound didn't seem right. Perfect excuse for a new kit. Thank you, Lord, for bringing me this justifiable G.A.S. experience: 12/14/20 in maple. Perfect for what I'm doing.

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny how things can go here at DFO--a while back somebody started a very similar thread and there was a lot of negative feedback on have a 10 as a single rack. I still remember someone saying it was like "a ringing bell" every time he hit it.
Personally I say play whatever you want but personally I probably wouldn't do it--a 12 is usually my smallest "stand alone" rack and I usually prefer a 13 (or *gulp*) a 14!!
Well I'll chime in as one of those. Not a fan of a stand alone 10" tom. And I certainly would not pair it with a 16" ft.

Latest posts