Four piece with a ten up and sixteen down…

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny how things can go here at DFO--a while back somebody started a very similar thread and there was a lot of negative feedback
Christmas mood, everybody being nicer than normal.:)
I haven't used a 10" for a while and at some point was almost happy to see guys like Gadd, Colaiuta, Weckl move to larger sizes. A bit later, I can see it's a cool sound again, maybe.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I thought for one second you were playing in a 4-piece band, with 10 rack toms and 16 floor toms, and I thought “Now, there is an absolute madman. Hope he has roadies!”
Yup that's what I read at first glance too.
I was trying to figure out the math when the title said "4 piece" but the number of drums was 26. :icon_lol:
I think that would have been bigger than Bozzio's kit.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I brought my kit as a backline kit for a gig last month. The drummer after me (we typically share each others kits), took my 12" tom off, and left the 10". So he went with a 10/16 set up. He said he felt it sounded great, and that's what he's been doing. He's fifteen years younger than me, gigs all the time, and has a percussion background.

I say, go with what works, and sounds good to you, and the music. Don't let the naysayers change your mind.

Also, get off my lawn.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Let me clarify--I'm not saying I would NEVER do it, but I'm just so used to the typical 12/13/14 in front of me that it would be really weird to be staring at such a small target by itself

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Let me clarify--I'm not saying I would NEVER do it, but I'm just so used to the typical 12/13/14 in front of me that it would be really weird to be staring at such a small target by itself
I thought the same thing. I have 10, 12, and 13. I always brought the 12 and 13. The 13 just will not tune to my liking, so one gig I said "F it," I'll bring the 10 and the 12. Haven't gone back.

Sometimes when I used my suitcase kit, I use the 10 and the 13 is my floor tom!

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I know it’s still early daze, but since ditching the 12 for a 10, I am loving the disparity with the 16. Plus now I can play fast (for me) single strokes going from the snare to the 10, they don’t flab out and I almost sound ok-ish. For years I gigged a 10, 12, 16 and looking back, it was the 10 that did it for me, not the 12, but to be sure, the deep rumble of the 16 was a constant.

So, having moved to 22, 10, 16 on my studio kit, I want the same 10” pop on my gigging kit, not that I’m gigging at the moment, dagnamit, but my original band is constantly reforming, so there is hope.

Anyway, I unwrapped an orphan 10” I had, installed G2/G1 heads and picked up a RIMS mount and tonight spliced it into my ancient Tamas. I didn’t get it together till late, so only had a five minute hit at full volume, but it sounds great.

Looks wise, the raw wood is not far off the mark, but a mate of mine is an automotive restoration guy and he colour matches for a living, so hopefully he can get close to the faded cream of the kit. I know the lugs are not the same, but I don’t care. Not being a power tom is nice too, better ergonomics for sure.

Tama with new 10 tom.jpg

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think next time I'm trying the 10/16 combo mainly due to trouble mounting a deep 12" tom.

My kit consist of a 8x10, 9x12, 16x16 & 14x20 bass and a 6.5x14 snare and thats my normal gig setup. There are times I will only use the 12 and 16 tom, so to save space on stage I purchased an ATLAS rail mount and an extra ATLAS tom mount which replaces two cymbal stands. The rail for the tom and the extra tom mount for a ride cymbal. The problem is the 12" is too deep for the rail mount and due to the precarious angle of the drum for use the lingering robust tone is hampered/degraded. The bottom rim is too close to metal parts of the rim mount and the bottom head was touching the wing nut of the mount due to bad design.

My next step is to try the 8x10 and if the angle is too drastic I'll still may have the same problem with tone quality. I may even try moving the rail mount to the side of the bass but only trial and error will tell the truth plus mounting the the tom on top also puts the top head a little higher than my norm.

Tone wise for the gig I played last night I think the 10" tom would have been fine. I played some licks and expecting to hear a certain tone that was my norm and the 12 just didn't cut it although I didn't re-tune to a higher tone either. So I feel the 16 would have done a better job of covering for the 12", so the 10 would just be doing what 10's do and I feel the 10 covers for 8's as well due to the fact I no longer miss the 8" that I relied on so much when it was available.

So, last night without re-tuning one of the drums the 16 would have covered for the 12 and the 10 would have been fine. NOW, in another room/venue it may be different and style of music being played may also make a difference.

sherm

Lazmo

Reaction score
Well I just had a good hour and a half playing, tuning and tweaking the new 10” tom into my old Tamas. I tweaked the RIMS mount a little as it was binding on one lug, now fixed, and floating nicely. I used Drumtune Pro to get identical tuning to my Tempus kit and then just played for ages. I really do like the 10, 16 tom combo and can’t wait for my buddy to do his colour matching magic. Then back in the bags they’ll go, waiting for my next gig. Yo hum, that said while rolling eyes, and drumming fingers.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I just had a good hour and a half playing, tuning and tweaking the new 10” tom into my old Tamas. I tweaked the RIMS mount a little as it was binding on one lug, now fixed, and floating nicely. I used Drumtune Pro to get identical tuning to my Tempus kit and then just played for ages. I really do like the 10, 16 tom combo and can’t wait for my buddy to do his colour matching magic. Then back in the bags they’ll go, waiting for my next gig. Yo hum, that said while rolling eyes, and drumming fingers.
Using the tuner, what fundamental notes are you using.

Just like to know,
sherm

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sold every 10” tom I owned a few years ago. People love to buy them as add on toms, so they were an easy seller. Realized that I kept hitting the rim more often than the 12”ers, guess I have bad aim. Tried the 10/16 and 10/14 setups. 10/16 was too wide of a tonal and head surface variance for me. 10/14 was okay. Now, I’m usually playing 12/14 or 13/16, sometimes 13/14/16 (two down).

Lazmo

Reaction score
Using the tuner, what fundamental notes are you using.Just like to know,sherm
10/16 is a great setup. I find these 2 drums naturally tune to be 1 octave apart. The 10" adds that nice poppy accent and plays nice with the snare on fills while the 16" is the low rumble and plays well with the bass drum on fills.
When I did it, I had Drumtune Pro set to Hz and it was 123Hz on the 10” tom and and 62Hz on the 16” tom. Google tells me they are both pretty close to a B, but just an octave apart, as Tommy D had mentioned. Regardless, I’m loving the combination. BTW, I don’t have any issue hitting the smaller 10" target either.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WoW, a tuning with a fundamental note of A, A# or B wouldn't be a bad thing and in the 2nd octave low for 10" tom but not unheard of. That would be putting the 16" down to the 1st octave. At least when tuning with a Tune-Bot. The highest read for 10" tom is F in the 3rd octave using the Tune-Bot app. Any thing higher I feel would be out of the range for 10" tom. I realize your Druntune Pro works in a different way than the Tune-Bot. BTW: The Tune-Bot also recommends a 1 octave separation which I thought was a little weird and haven't tried it. Sounds like it works for you. I'm a little reluctant to try because I normally tune for three toms and changing turnings seems to be hard on drum heads when tuning up then back down again. Well...now that I think about it, my normal is D 2nd octave for the 16 so all I would have to change is the 10 to a D in the third octave. The 10 is C at the present time so one note difference wouldn't be too bad I don't think. I may try it.

Thanks for the information,
sherm

Last edited:

Lazmo

Reaction score
WoW, a tuning with a fundamental note of A, A# or B wouldn't be a bad thing and in the 2nd octave low for 10" tom but not unheard of. That would be putting the 16" down to the 1st octave. At least when tuning with a Tune-Bot. The highest read for 10" tom is F in the 3rd octave using the Tune-Bot app. Any thing higher I feel would be out of the range for 10" tom. sherm
Hey sherm

Ha ha, you are confusing me with someone who tunes drums using music theory.

My guitars are another matter, but with drums, not me, I’m your tension rod finger tight guy, palm in centre almost get wrinkles out guy, and naturally tune to the first available sweet spot guy. I’m not tuning them, I’m just getting them to sound nice. It just so happens that my Tempus, Tama’s and 10” orphan tom pretty much all come in sounding the same. Ha ha, maybe it could be my tuning. Anyway, I did tweak the orphan a tiny bit with Drumtune Pro to make them exactly the same same, but really they were so close it didn’t matter.

Last night, I got to play with the partner of one of my daughters, and was a lot of fun. (side note, all three daughters have guitar playing partners, which is very fabulous) Anyway the drums sounded great and we had a lot of fun. Really looking forward to the next instalment.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This isn’t really in answer to the question, but the setup I’ve always wanted to try is a 10/13/16. I just need to get myself a 13” tom first...

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey sherm

Ha ha, you are confusing me with someone who tunes drums using music theory.

My guitars are another matter, but with drums, not me, I’m your tension rod finger tight guy, palm in centre almost get wrinkles out guy, and naturally tune to the first available sweet spot guy. I’m not tuning them, I’m just getting them to sound nice. It just so happens that my Tempus, Tama’s and 10” orphan tom pretty much all come in sounding the same. Ha ha, maybe it could be my tuning. Anyway, I did tweak the orphan a tiny bit with Drumtune Pro to make them exactly the same same, but really they were so close it didn’t matter.

Last night, I got to play with the partner of one of my daughters, and was a lot of fun. (side note, all three daughters have guitar playing partners, which is very fabulous) Anyway the drums sounded great and we had a lot of fun. Really looking forward to the next instalment.
Sorry for the confusion. LOL I actually confused my self as I started writing then tried to fix; I should have started over from the beginning. At first I thought your response was way off the chart then realized your tuning is really in the ball park. Octaves confuse me at times too. Anyway to try to simplify my quest. I normally play 3 toms (tuned to D G C) but at times to save space on stage I use two toms. When that happens for proper tuning one or more drums should to be changed. Drum heads don't like to be tune down and when they do an over night rest works better then tweaked to final tuning the next day. It can be done on stage but doesn't always work at least with my experience. So I think I might try the 10 and 16 tom interval with an octave apart, I could change the 10 to a D in my case. Which is only one step higher then after the gig drop it back down then tweak back to C at the next three tom gig.

So hope you enjoy more sessions with the guitar guys.

sherm

Old Dog

Reaction score
Why not try with an 8 up and 18 down.
I recently found a PDP CX kit, AMAZING wrap--it was a crazy blue onyx--not the exact name, anyway GORGEOUS. However, it was 8/14/24. And I just couldn't pull the trigger on buying simply because of the shell sizes. Now, the bass was the big downer. I just don't want to deal with that size of a drum, not with my back issues.

So what's TOO EXTREME? As far as sizes?

I searched and searched for a 10/12 tom to match the rest of the kit. There isn't one anywhere that I could find.