Frank Beard

JimmyFenno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good thing for Frank, his family and their family and their family...one third of a lot is still a lot.

He is co-writer on almost all the tunes they ever did, as is Dusty along with Billy who did most of the writing himself. A generous man that Billy.

Gary C.

Reaction score
The book Sharp Dressed Men states that in the early days,songwriting credit was given for lyric contributions-which is why you see Ham's name on early credits.
Ham and Gibbons worked up all the songs and laid down basic tracks,without Hill and Beard being present-they were called in to do their parts later.
After the band started making some money,they had a serious tiff about songwriting credit.Ham and Gibbons didn't really want to share-but they relented,as by this time,replacing the rhythm section would have been a career-killer.The fans wouldn't have stood for it.
So they let Hill and Beard in on the riches,because they HAD to.

TheCircus

Reaction score
trixonian said:
Also Cheap Sunglasses has those great fills in it. My dad used to like a live version where they really stretched out the vamp at the end.
On the Blue-ray release of Live in Texas, if you play the Cheap Sunglasses track, and fast-forward x2, you can observe both the video and audio at twice the speed. It makes for a great punk-rock version of the song. The original tempo is slow enough that double-timing it coes not interupt the clarity of the notes/beats/vocals. Very entertaining and definitely worth checking out.

JimmyFenno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gary said....

...So they let Hill and Beard in on the riches,because they HAD to.
My compliment to Billy's generosity was as sarcastic as I could get.

Either way Frank is rich.

He owns the "Top 40 Ranch" ranch in Richmond, Texas. He and his wife own black (not red) his and hers Dino Ferraris plus Frank has many other fast cars. He was known and listed as "Rube Beard" on the first album and on Tres Hombres (their third). On the second album, Rio Grande Mud, and all other records after Tres Hombres he is listed as "Frank Beard". Rube is still his nickname amongst friends and the band. He actually did have a beard in the early part of the 90's but has mostly gone with a 'stache his entire playing career. His big free time activity is playing golf and he fires near or below par (scratch) most of the time.

Bill Ham can't be under emphasized as the "invisible fourth member" of the band. At least until 2006 when he left as the band's manager and image maker. He then discovered and managed Clint Black, Point Blank and Kinky Friedman (hehe - his music and political ambitions) and is a force to be reckoned with on the Nashville music scene.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.c...atch?v=h9ANkyTq ... ture=email

came across this while looking up ZZtop on youtube. I commented to this guy on how hes doing the shuffle.. I said to him that this really isnt done with double bass.. its easy to just do it with one foot.. and he commented back that Beard "always" used double bass. I dunno about all that. and listen to the drum sound on this!! prolly 3 grand in DW drums and they all sound like the first act kids set they sell at toys-r-us!!! I love ignorant people.. they spend all this money cause somebody tells them a certian drum company is the best... and then they have no clue how to tune them so they sound like garbage

Last edited by a moderator:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
No ghost notes on the snare or ride cymbal, and cheating on the bass with the double pedal. And what he's doing on the snare isn't a shuffle at all. He must be hard of hearing if he thinks that is what is on the recording. This guy thinks he's really cool, but if he knew what it took to really play it right....

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
Al, me & Jim West as ZZ Top (in UHF video, 1989) -

I guess I must have looked pretty convincing, one of the crew (who hadn't seen me before makeup) remarked that it was cool I had come to shoot Al's video!

Bermuda

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
BBeyer said:
http://www.youtube.c...k&feature=email

came across this while looking up ZZtop on youtube. I commented to this guy on how hes doing the shuffle.. I said to him that this really isnt done with double bass.. its easy to just do it with one foot.. and he commented back that Beard "always" used double bass. I dunno about all that. and listen to the drum sound on this!! prolly 3 grand in DW drums and they all sound like the first act kids set they sell at toys-r-us!!! I love ignorant people.. they spend all this money cause somebody tells them a certian drum company is the best... and then they have no clue how to tune them so they sound like garbage
double bass? please-
and his intro rim clicks ain't exactly totally locked in,either...
TR

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
old_K_ride said:
BBeyer said:
http://www.youtube.c...k&feature=email

double bass? please-
and his intro rim clicks ain't exactly totally locked in,either...
TRHe's rushin' like Stalin!!

BigMur

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw ZZ Top (again) a few years ago at an outdoor festival. They definately had their sound "enhanced", I think by playing along to tracks. It sucked. The guys were just going through the motions onstage. Many of the older, hardcore music fans made our way to the beer garden to enjoy some "live" and inspired entertainment. The young kids thought that ZZ Top was fantastic.

I guess if I hadn't been a fan of the "original", raw, ZZ Top, I could have enjoyed the slick, programmed version.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Hey shuffle-ologists, does this beat have a bluesname or is it just a rock bastardization of the Purdie shuffle?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1i8jdCOC5Js

******************************************************************************************************

"In England do they call this band "Zed Zed top"?"

On the HBO show Flight of the Concords, the NZ manager Murray does refer to them as such.

JimmyFenno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, one thing a post like this brings out is the critics. The guy on youtube was having a good time playing a tune he likes. Some here seem to be having a great time ripping him a new bunghole about it. Please.

cprompt

Reaction score
BBeyer said:
yeah Ive been Watching BBC america on TV alot lately and i get a kick outta the accent that the brits use. mostly in that show "top gear".. I love it! funny stuff. even funnier to hear the way these guys talk though. example: "this new Ferrari will go Naught to 60 in about 4 seconds" What the hell is "naught" haha.

And in describing Chevys' new covrvette.. the one host calls it a "Zed-R-1" model.

Naught? You guys don't use naught? You chaps are quite the bizarre lot, aren't you. Naught, nothing, zero, nil, nowt.

As for the Zed-R-1, if I know Top Gear, they deliberately mispronounced it for comic effect. Kind of like when they drove through the Southern States with "man-love rules" painted on the side of the car. Wow, you got some frightening people living down south who can't take a joke :shock:

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
cprompt said:
Naught? You guys don't use naught? You chaps are quite the bizarre lot, aren't you. Naught, nothing, zero, nil, nowt.

Not to mention zilch, nada, bupkis, squat, and zip!

JimmyFenno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As for the Zed-R-1, if I know Top Gear, they deliberately mispronounced it for comic effect. Kind of like when they drove through the Southern States with "man-love rules" painted on the side of the car. Wow, you got some frightening people living down south who can't take a joke :shock:

Had to smile at this. There's only a few areas below the Manson-Nixon line that would not react in some negative way with a paint job advertising "man-love rules" on your car. Both large cajones and a Remington on the rifle rack would help avoid trouble here in this situation. But I have seen cars around Austin with even more ghastly challenges to the local red necks than your example. Mostly they stay within Travis County though. Some leave and never return.

My place is always a safe house for anyone heading down this way. No matter how threatening you may be to some of the locals.

cprompt

Reaction score
JimmyFenno said:
My place is always a safe house for anyone heading down this way. No matter how threatening you may be to some of the locals.

Well, if I ever find myself in a car proclaiming a desire for homosexual relationships whilst being chased by Remington-wielding redneck maniacs (possibly a tautology!) in the Southern parts of the United States, I'll be sure to stop by :D

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
cprompt said:
Well, if I ever find myself in a car proclaiming a desire for homosexual relationships whilst being chased by Remington-wielding redneck maniacs (possibly a tautology!) in the Southern parts of the United States, I'll be sure to stop by :D

Son,

You from up naught. Ain'tcha. :p

And I do believe this thread has run its course.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for a "Live at Rockpalast" ZZ Top show from the early 80s.....this appears on ebay occasionally or maybe on VH1? Much better to see ZZ Top at their prime.....i'd still love to see them live though.
Mick
Reviving this thread...I just watched this on YT, and it looks like Frank was playing a Tama bell brass snare at this show. Can anyone confirm?

Frank Beard Tama.jpeg