Frank Beard

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Happy BDay Frank! I've always wondered why the one guy in the band named BEARD didn't have one!

We used to cover Tush........man, those were good times!

I had a chance to see ZZ Top open for Jeff Beck....STUPIDLY didn't go!!!! Ugh....

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Note: All songs listed are '79 or earlier.

I saw ZZ Top once in about '79. We were on the floor -- in the festival seating days with no actual seats. We were within about 20 feet of the stage late in the show when Two Good 'Ol Boys started fighting during a song like LaGrange. They were just drunk, throwing haymakers in what seemed like slow motion. During an instrumental break, Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill played at the very edge of the stage so they could get a better look at the fight. People in the crowd pulled the fighters apart. When I looked over at the end of the next song, the combatants were hugging and apologizing to one another.

I wonder if Frank Beard now enjoys the Eliminator songs now that give him the chance to just flip on the drum machine and wander off to get a soda or something.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Frank Beard now enjoys the Eliminator songs now that give him the chance to just flip on the drum machine and wander off to get a soda or something.
I'm not certain..............but I have been told that for a while, Frank had such a horrible drug problem, Gibbons would program the drums for specific recordings.

Johnny K

Reaction score
Nice. Happy Birthday to Frank

(next time - could someone put HB in the title. Everytime I see just a name of an old RnR dood or doodette, I think, UH OH!)

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Frank lives just a few miles from me. He is also a member at the Golf Club where I play. I haven't seen him around but did see him at a Big Beat thing several years ago. I first saw the band in Austin in the 70s at Armadillo World Headquarters. The sound was so even and tight that it just pulsated. Knocked me out. Far and away the best live sound that I had ever heard at that point. I remember Gibbons in a band called The Moving Sidewalks early on. "The 99th Floor" was a #1 hit in Houston in '66. Dusty's brother writes songs for them. He likes my older brother and used to get him box seats for things in the Summit. I had heard that Frank drank, but didn't know about drugs, if that is true. Ace
P.S. I last heard them at the rodeo and the sound sucked. Could not hear the bass.

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the set list...........WOW.......saw them in the 70s............WOW

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I like the band and frank's drumming but he's boring to watch play live because he looks bored.

That said, I've been told I look bored sometimes too, so....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
With all that Tush, Legs and Pearl Necklaces, he's been Under Pressure behind those Cheap Sunglasses.......and I am sure partook in all of the 70's & 80's the S, D & R&R fun-ness at La Grange while dancing the Tube Snake Boogie........oh yeah!

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
BTW, I found an article on ZZ Top that said this and it was sure news to me.....:

Rumors spread that Beard had entered a drug rehabilitation program to kick his heroin addiction (true)

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beard could play a mean Texas shuffle back in the day. I'd never heard about the substance abuse problems, but it might explain why his creativity seemingly took a downturn when they became MTV stars/cartoon characters. Never cared for all that. Give me that "li'l ol' band from Texas" era anyday.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I always thought he was a great drummer. Even in the “Afterburner” era (great concert, by the way), he was playing some killer grooves. Maybe they were programmed for the albums, but he most definitely played them live.