Frank Wolf 6.5 x 14 2-to-1 Snare Drum Finished -

OptikDrums

Player
Reaction score
Recently finished a small resto on this Frank Wolf 2-to-1 snare drum - Black Diamond dressed with gold hardware. Single ply mahogany shell with reinforcement rings.
The wrap seem needed a bit of work - Nails were holding the wrap down - had to punch the nails out, clean up the seem, glue and clean up. Came out great.

I believe these were made in the 1930s by an independent maker in New York. He believed that the batter head should be tuned a 3rd higher than the resonant .. hence the 2to1 design... 12 lugs up top, 6 onteh bottom - personally i prefer a tighter resonant head! :p but these were some great drums! I was surprise how great this drum sounds. I may need to hook up a video and post.

Attachments

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Frank Wolf had a shop on 48th street,across from Mannys .I believe he also sold Slingerland.I believe that he also made some copper shelled snares,with his 2 to 1 tensioning concept.

Beautiful drum,and nice job.

Steve B

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Never seen a Frank Wolf drum before--thanks for sharing. It looks sweet, especially the strainer. Nice work.........marko

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
I believe that this inspired the Slingy 2-1 no? Love his stuf. So unusual

martinkent

Reaction score
I have one too, and looking to restore it. How did you safely remove the badge to rewrap it?

Also, what did you use to polish the hardware? I know vintage drums probably have hardware different from modern ones (like chrome or whatever), and I’m a bit inexperienced.

thanks for any help! I’ll probably post photos of mine when it’s done.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I just posted this on my own slingerland thread! The 1979 Slingerland version:

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

The modern version, the Dennis Chambers Model, a 12-over-8 lugger, by Pearl:

1588274479497.png

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one too, and looking to restore it. How did you safely remove the badge to rewrap it?

Also, what did you use to polish the hardware? I know vintage drums probably have hardware different from modern ones (like chrome or whatever), and I’m a bit inexperienced.

Do you really need to strip the shell? I know we make our own choices on these concepts, but perhaps a good cleaning and polishing would do?

OptikDrums

Player
Reaction score

The drum related to this post never had the wrap removed. I'll send you a pm. thanks!

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 1957 Slingerland kit has a ‘Frank Wolf Drummer’s Supplies’ stamp in the bass shell. I like that.

Latest posts