header.nohb.html

Fred Eltringham snare tuning ?

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to achieve Fred's snare sound in this clip ?
To my ears it sounds medium/low tuning with some minimal use of moongel to dry it out. Rimshots ?.
Nice drummer, I like his groove. Great consistent backbeat.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yup, low tension on batter (try loosening the snareside as well if it's cranked right now, for lower overall pitch).
Rimshot, die-cast hoop? YOu can hear the difference between rimshot and regular stroke in the shuffle part.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s an Ochletree made out of Paiste Signature bronze. There are other vids on that kit with other artists, I wonder how much is touch vs the inherent sound of the shell?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a special sounding snare indeed, but other cast metal shells might give you a similarly "solid" sound.
I would tweak tuning and playing first if there's headroom in that direction ;)

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fred is a monster player and a great dude. He's been a friend for several years. He is one of the busiest drummers in the world, I'd guess. He doesn't sit still very much. His tech is one of my lifelong friends and is a member here. Hopefully he'll chime in on tuning specifics...

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never heard of the guy.

But I'll say He's gotta be pretty confident in his time keeping to not seize the spotlight to 'dazzle' viewers with flashy stuff.

It's a prono clip for cymbals, most folks would just rip some impossible bpm Spang-a-lang or some variations of YYZ-type odd time... Hey gotta prove that you "deserve" that endorsement, yeah?

Not him, he just quietly lays some expertly spaced time...

And he does sound good doing so.

My kinda dude. ;-)

Edit: just saw his wiki and it makes total sense. I'm pretty sure I saw him with Sheryl Crow some years ago...

Last edited: