Fred Gretsch Says, “Go Ahead Fender, Release Your Broad(c)aster, Just One More Time.”

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Hadn’t heard about this...Just uploaded from Gretsch today, here’s Fred Gretsch relaying the story of the gentlemanly, 1950s dispute between his company and Fender over their temporary, unauthorized release of the Broadcaster name all those years ago.

He’s apparently authorizing Fender to do it once more as a limited edition, in tandem with the release of a special Gretsch Broadkaster drum kit in a matching finish. That finish is gorgeous!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is the name of the pale yellow finish on those drums called.
besides incredibly loverly

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats Paul Cooper setting them up and playing them.
wonder if the color name will have a tie-in with the Fender tale; hmm.
look how righteous those drums look.
has bass t-rods too.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's the Telecaster color (not a hairBrush) isn't it..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Fred get me some of them there Telecaster Drums Now!
that color even beats anything from,, "A & F"..

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butterscotch maybe ? With the grain coming thru

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
It’s already so close to their Natural Maple Gloss & Millennium Maple Gloss, especially when you consider variations in color over the years. But this one is especially sumptuous.

Can’t you just imagine a White Marine Pearl BD hoop inlay against that?

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent an email see if I get a response on what the name will be and will it become an available finish

jb111

Reaction score
If they're trying to connect it to the Fender, it's likely butterscotch blonde, but it also looks a lot like Fender's Desert Sand.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
what is the name of the pale yellow finish on those drums called.
besides incredibly loverly
I'm not sure what they actually call the color of the drums but that pale yellow finish on vintage guitars is called TV Yellow. My longtime friend and guitar player collects vintage guitars/amps and he has an old Fender in that finish. He explained to me that back in the days of black and white television pure white guitars didn't film well. They would kind of wash out on screen. So Fender came up with a pale yellow finish that filmed better but still looked white on black and white film. Thus the name TV Yellow.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what they actually call the color of the drums but that pale yellow finish on vintage guitars is called TV Yellow. My longtime friend and guitar player collects vintage guitars/amps and he has an old Fender in that finish. He explained to me that back in the days of black and white television pure white guitars didn't film well. They would kind of wash out on screen. So Fender came up with a pale yellow finish that filmed better but still looked white on black and white film. Thus the name TV Yellow.
You’re correct on TV yellow, but if Fender and Gretsch were partnering on an original color, that would be butterscotch or blonde, not to be confused with Mary Kaye blonde.

TV yellow was a Gibson color. Fender never called anything TV yellow.

I will look it up to make certain. I could be wrong.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You’re correct on TV yellow, but if Fender and Gretsch were partnering on an original color, that would be butterscotch or blonde, not to be confused with Mary Kaye blonde.

TV yellow was a Gibson color. Fender never called anything TV yellow.

I will look it up to make certain. I could be wrong.
You're probably right. It might be a Gibson he has that was TV Yellow. I can't remember.