Fred Gretsch Says, “Go Ahead Fender, Release Your Broad(c)aster, Just One More Time.”

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(so I got a response back from Gretsch Customer Service... (shhh....) and as asked, sent them the video.. Will post the response back..
what I got when 1st asked ("what's the color called, will it be a production finish, etc....) was, just the preliminary ; )......-->

Gretsch Customer Service (info@gretschdrums.com)To:you Details

Do you have a link to this video?

(along with the Reps name and phone number..
So yes I sent him the video ; )

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I used to play with a guy that has a 1951 Telecaster that was made during the first week that Fender started using the name Telecaster. This guy also had a 1957 Strat as well as vintage amps. I'm pretty sure he still has all of his stuff but I think he plays reissues out now as his original stuff is just worth too much money.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to play with a guy that has a 1951 Telecaster that was made during the first week that Fender started using the name Telecaster. This guy also had a 1957 Strat as well as vintage amps. I'm pretty sure he still has all of his stuff but I think he plays reissues out now as his original stuff is just worth too much money.
Keith Richards was the first to do that.

There is not one real vintage instrument I would play out ever again.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what is the name of the pale yellow finish on those drums called.
besides incredibly loverly
There was an Alfred Hitchcock statement where he apparantely mentioned "Leprosy" would be a nice name for a girl....
So in that vein.......Jaundice.
And yes Butterscotch Tele's (with a black pick guard) are quite loverly!!!! My fav...although the Rosewood "George Harrison" Tele was darn nice as well. I played with a fellow who had one of the pinky paisley one's...meh.
A local fellow who passed on earlier this year was a Tele fan and had both an Esquire and a Nocaster in that finish.....
bt

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fender has an agreement with Gretsch guitars. They develop, manufacture, market and distribute Gretsch guitars so it's not surprising that this is happening.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is this the same finish Gretsch had on a snare at NAMM this year?

thumbnail_Screen Shot.png

If so, Steve Maxwell told me Paul Cooper indicated USA Custom and Broadkaster kits could be ordered in this finish - it just isn't shown as a standard finish on the Gretsch website.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
``````````````````````````````````````````
Hello again,
I looked into it and this is what Paul at the Gretsch Factory told me.

“That kit is part of a limited cross promotion with Fender. It is the same color as Fender’s 1st version of the telecaster that was called the Broadcaster. 75 years ago Gretsch sued fender and they changed the name to Telecaster. The kit is in a transparent vintage blonde.”

The specs on the kit are as follows:
GK-RC424-FBK
14x22 (new rail mount tone control resonant side)
9x13 ( direct mount G4825, tone control top & bottom)
16x16 (tone controls top & bottom)
6.5x14 (16 lug micro with tone control)

Hope this helps
MORGAN YOUNG
PHONE: (805) 919-2416 | FAX: (805)48

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

```````````````````````
I wrote back "I looked (sic) on the Gretschdrums. website (under USA Custom and Broadkaster) and couldn't find Transparent Vintage Blonde listed"...
(being a pia; maybe he'll report back about the "limited cross promotion"....

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
That finish on the Fender Broadcaster was simply Dupont Lacquer applied in several coats.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more from Gretsch (email)..
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Basically the kit is painted the same color as the guitar was at the time Gretsch sues Fender for using the name Broadkaster. This is a limited run of Gretsch kits in this color.

MORGAN YOUNG