Fresh from Duluth-Now with Video!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can clearly see the snare beds and they are classic Duluth. You are good.
I wasn't too worried as John seems to know what's what on snare drum shell construction but thanks for the verification.

It would be here today of not for Thanksgiving...curse you national holiday.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good God is this thing heavy!

DBS 1.jpg
DBS2.jpg
DBS3.jpg

Video of unpacking and building it to follow if it turns out. Haven't got the snares on yet but my wife is already in bed. Plus I need to find a stand that can support this behemoth.

First impression...even without hearing it...awesome!

The collar on the Remo snare side head is much deeper than that of the Kentville kangaroo hide batter making things look a bit uneven but the lugs are centered on the shell.

Kudo's to John at Duluth. I already want to get another one in a different size.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
New Rogers lugs?
yes, at ten bucks a pop.

Not a huge fan of tube lugs. My first inclination was Ludwig Imperials but then I hit upon the newly re-issued Rogers lugs. They are a classic design and it seemed like the very first Tama Bell Brass drums used a lug that looked similar to the Rogers (copied?).

Once I decided on using the Rogers lugs I thought about the early 7 line Dynas and that led to the final design.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is a real beauty. Nice job thinking outside the box. Did you show this to the fellas at the Rogers forums?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW... Built-out, that thing looks like a BEAST!!!!

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sliding down the snare stand Crash into the bass drum hoop Sounds good
I know memri-loc maybe two.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow nice drum! Love the choice of Rogers lugs.

Re: weight, I have the Gretsch BB which is a monster too weight-wise and without a doubt a two-hander at all times. I picked it up with one hand when I first got it and no joke, injured my forearm.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is a real beauty. Nice job thinking outside the box. Did you show this to the fellas at the Rogers forums?
Actually I don't have any presence on any Rogers forums, not that I couldn't, I have three Rogers sets.

Once I decided on the Rogers lugs I seriously considered going with a clockface throw and Rogers butt. I decided against those primarily because the Rogers name is prominent on the throw and I wasn't trying to build a Rogers drum, despite swiping a couple of visual cues from them. As I think I mentioned above my first inclination was flat back imperials but again they are so identified with Ludwig and I wasn't out to build a "Ludwig" either. I considered Gretsch lugs as well, either center mount doubles or two rows of singles but decided against that for the same reason. While the Rogers are certainly identifiable as such they are a little more generic looking without being too generic.

If someone reintroduced the Rocket lug I could see doing another drum with those.

Another thought is to have another shell made with 3 lines, have it chromed and install the correct slingerland hardware to make it a stealth super-duper Krupa. :) I am pondering the possibilities if one had one of these shells chromed or plated in Black nickel....hmmmm.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Fair warning, I started with one build earlier this year, 14x6.5, now have a 13x6.5 and 14x8 Duluth’s as well. And probably a 3mm version in the works for early next year!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks great! Fair warning, I started with one build earlier this year, 14x6.5, now have a 13x6.5 and 14x8 Duluth’s as well. And probably a 3mm version in the works for early next year!
Yes, I think I'm already addicted. I keep thinking of variations I could build. I only have three more payments on my 987 and then I'll have extra money each month too. Could be trouble..Although, I seriously wonder if I could handle moving an 8x14 version about.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I bought an 8x14, it would definitely be 3 mm.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 14x8 is 26.8 lbs at 4.7 mm, my 6.5 is 23 lbs at same thickness. My Tama Bell Brass 3mm was 18 lbs
98BD7CC2-E0B8-46C9-B435-5B47D9AA867C.jpeg

Latest posts