Friction adjustment Dunnett RC4

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions on how to adjust the friction adjustment on a Dunnett RC4? I just learned it has an adjustment so the wires don’t back out.

Played a gig with it over the weekend on a new Keplinger stainless steel, and had to adjust the wires back to tension every single song (and sometimes in the middle of the song). Never had a throw back off so horribly.

Someone posted instructions that are apparently sent with the throw if you buy it separately, but the image expired.

Before I take his thing off and switch it, can somebody help?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I remember on the older ones you had to unscrew it until the post and assembly that the snare cord goes through was detached. On the strainer you should be left with the throw off, a hollow tube and a threaded post coming out of the tube. At the end of the threaded post up into the tube where the turn knob is was a friction nut, you had to stick something narrow up into the tube to hold the nut in place and then turn the adjustment knob and that tightened the nut so the knob was harder to turn. Hope that helps and as Mike said, he doesn’t have that issue with his Inde

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Here’s an older thread about it

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here’s an older thread about it
That’s the thread I saw, but the picture that was used to show the instructions how to do it is not visible anymore.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember on the older ones you had to unscrew it until the post and assembly that the snare cord goes through was detached. On the strainer you should be left with the throw off, a hollow tube and a threaded post coming out of the tube. At the end of the threaded post up into the tube where the turn knob is was a friction nut, you had to stick something narrow up into the tube to hold the nut in place and then turn the adjustment knob and that tightened the nut so the knob was harder to turn. Hope that helps and as Mike said, he doesn’t have that issue with his Inde
Thank you. I’ll give it a shot. Over a thousand dollar snare drum, and can’t keep the snare wires tensioned.

I have the Inde on a lot of drums, and that’s the route I will go if this doesn’t work.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always try reaching Ronn through DM'ing here.

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
I’ll add my two cents…I hate the R4. In my opinion I t’s big, ugly, over engineered, and works poorly even when new. I have replaced it on almost every drum I have that came with it. I put INDe’s on almost all of them. I had Ronn send me a replacement for a new R4 that wouldn’t stay closed at low tension, (and I’ll add communicating with him was a nightmare and took months), and when the new one finally arrived it was WORSE. I’m done with the R4, and Ronn for that matter. His attitude in the industry simply puts me off wanting to support him, or play his products.
You can’t say that about Josh at INDe, one of the nicest guys I’ve ever dealt with, and who makes some of the best drum products available. I can’t recommend him or his throwoff highly enough.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll add my two cents…I hate the R4. In my opinion I t’s big, ugly, over engineered, and works poorly even when new. I have replaced it on almost every drum I have that came with it. I put INDe’s on almost all of them. I had Ronn send me a replacement for a new R4 that wouldn’t stay closed at low tension, (and I’ll add communicating with him was a nightmare and took months), and when the new one finally arrived it was WORSE. I’m done with the R4, and Ronn for that matter. His attitude in the industry simply puts me off wanting to support him, or play his products.
You can’t say that about Josh at INDe, one of the nicest guys I’ve ever dealt with, and who makes some of the best drum products available. I can’t recommend him or his throwoff highly enough.
That’s weird… I’ve had the most positive experiences with Ronn and he couldn’t have been nicer. I was shocked at how easy it was to get in touch with him and how cool he was. Like way above and beyond what you’d expect from a busy head of a good sized company, but also cooler than your average Joe. Helpful and then some. Aesthetically, I don’t dig the R4 and of his choices I prefer the beer tap.

Inde of course is awesome as well, and the throw is certainly one of the best ever. It’s elegant, it’s reliable, and the clicky detent is sublime. Add to that a nearly universal application and holy smokes what a throw!

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
That’s weird… I’ve had the most positive experiences with Ronn and he couldn’t have been nicer. I was shocked at how easy it was to get in touch with him and how cool he was. Like way above and beyond what you’d expect from a busy head of a good sized company, but also cooler than your average Joe. Helpful and then some. Aesthetically, I don’t dig the R4 and of his choices I prefer the beer tap.

Inde of course is awesome as well, and the throw is certainly one of the best ever. It’s elegant, it’s reliable, and the clicky detent is sublime. Add to that a nearly universal application and holy smokes what a throw!
I know there are people who have had great experiences with him, but a moment spent doing some research into his reputation shows that’s not everyone’s experience. I can’t speak to theirs, only mine. I’ll add the only interaction I’ve had with him on IG made me instantly unfollow his account, he was very rude to me.

All that aside, my opinion is do not use the R4 throwoff, and I’ll leave it at that.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, I’ve scoured the internet for info, asked here, searched his website, tried to use the “Contact Me” form on his website (which will not allow for any data input). Unless anyone else has some instructions for this newest model, looks like it will be replaced.

It’s odd to me that an important feature of a piece of drum equipment would be so hard to find info about.

This thing loosens within 30 seconds of hitting rimshots. I need two things from a throw, to turn off and on the wires, and to hold tension.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I’ve scoured the internet for info, asked here, searched his website, tried to use the “Contact Me” form on his website (which will not allow for any data input). Unless anyone else has some instructions for this newest model, looks like it will be replaced.

It’s odd to me that an important feature of a piece of drum equipment would be so hard to find info about.

This thing loosens within 30 seconds of hitting rimshots. I need two things from a throw, to turn off and on the wires, and to hold tension.
Ronn's too busy trolling former artists to actually respond to customers. Sent multiple emails to him about getting screws for a throwoff that came without them. No response. Sold it at a loss and bought my first iNDE strainer. Now I have 12 iNDE strainers on various drums. They're fantastic, and super responsive (both the strainers and the people :D) .

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score

Replace it, never look back. Call it an upgrade, it is.

ihavet0es

Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions on how to adjust the friction adjustment on a Dunnett RC4? I just learned it has an adjustment so the wires don’t back out.

Played a gig with it over the weekend on a new Keplinger stainless steel, and had to adjust the wires back to tension every single song (and sometimes in the middle of the song). Never had a throw back off so horribly.

Someone posted instructions that are apparently sent with the throw if you buy it separately, but the image expired.

I have Gilbraltar's version R4 and R7. It's possible the whole throw may be sliding down since installation is adjustable for range of hole spacings. Check if the screws inside the snare are tight.

If you still want to adjust the tightness you'll have to remove the throw from the drum. Inside the machined channel (where the hexhead fastening bolts slide) is a setscrew you can tighten. Mine requires a 2mm hex. Tighten this down as desired and maybe add a dab of thread locker.
Edit: I just took my R7 apart. The set screw keeps the shaft from rotating. If the knob is unscrewing while playing you may need to drop the bottom shaft and tighting in the inside nut just under the knob. (If this is the case I'd go with what Cornelius said below and take it back to the store).

You don't have to unscrew snare cord/strap. In the off position you should have enough play to pop off the base. It's held in place with a spring loaded detent.

I also have the INDE throw off. I like it and the action is simple and reliable and installation is easy with various hole spacings. Though its finish is poor compared to the Gibratar R4 and R7.

Last edited:

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear the throw is failing on your new Kep. I'd suggest reaching out to the store where you purchased it and tell them you want a replacement throw off. You shouldn't have to spend money on new hardware or making awkward micro adjustments on a new, expensive snare. I haven't had any problems with the Dunnett throws that I have so I'm assuming a replacement from the store will work better than the buggy one that you have.

Mapex Always

Reaction score

Keep that throw off, it’s a fantastic throw off, if you learn how to use it , it’s absolutely excellent! They’ve been trouble free for me for about a decade. Great piece of engineering.

You just tighten the little screw and your wires will never drop. I’ll post a video down below , start watching it at about one minute 30 seconds in.

As for me , I’ve never had a problem with Ronn , Gives out his cell phone and you could text him or call him anytime. God bless

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
Keep that throw off, it’s a fantastic throw off, if you learn how to use it , it’s absolutely excellent! They’ve been trouble free for me for about a decade. Great piece of engineering.

You just tighten the little screw and your wires will never drop. I’ll post a video down below , start watching it at about one minute 30 seconds in.

As for me , I’ve never had a problem with Ronn , Gives out his cell phone and you could text him or call him anytime. God bless
This video is so misleading. Listen to the indexing as he engages and disengaged the throw. There is so much tension on those wires they would be completely choked! If you run your wires loose like I do, there isn’t enough tension on the index to keep the throw engaged. Heavy playing or random bad luck and the throw comes unhinged and pops open. You can adjust the friction on the wire tension adjustment, but not the on/off function, which I tried to tell Donn before he finally got around to sending me a replacement, months later, that was worse than the one I already owned, before I got disgusted and replaced it with a perfectly functioning, low profile, and every bit as beautiful (if not more so in my opinion) INDe throw.