Friction adjustment Dunnett RC4

Reaction score
I'm neutral on Dunnett. I've never had a bad experience with him, but I've never once used an R4 that didn't completely jam up to be unusable. Disclaimer: I've never owned an R4.

I know he (and many others) abhor the Trick GS007 because of the way it looks, but it's function is superior in every way to the R4.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can b*tchy passive-aggressive social media posts be used to tighten the snares? I don't see why it's not an option for this brand.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
@Ptrick , hope you look past the negative comments and just read what I wrote you and watch the video I posted for you at the time point I mentioned. It works perfectly and extremely effective and simple. Nothing has to come off the drum , holds the wires exactly where you want them. No matter how hard you hit and how many rim shots you take , zero chance of disengagement , zero sign of choking.

Truly a wonderful throw.

These boards and their throw offs , fun times. :)

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ptrick , hope you look past the negative comments and just read what I wrote you and watch the video I posted for you at the time point I mentioned. It works perfectly and extremely effective and simple. Nothing has to come off the drum , holds the wires exactly where you want them. No matter how hard you hit and how many rim shots you take , zero chance of disengagement , zero sign of choking.

Truly a wonderful throw.

These boards and their throw offs , fun times. :)
As @Ptrick said, the knob in that video doesn't do anything to address the issue he's having.

It's over-engineered in all the wrong ways. The swivel "feature" causes more problems than it solves. The tension knob adjustment is poorly implemented, and there's no way to keep the entire throw-off on at low wire tensions.

Nope.

I do like the quick-release, but that's not enough to keep me using a fundamentally flawed piece of gear.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
As @Ptrick said, the knob in that video doesn't do anything to address the issue he's having.

It's over-engineered in all the wrong ways. The swivel "feature" causes more problems than it solves. The tension knob adjustment is poorly implemented, and there's no way to keep the entire throw-off on at low wire tensions.

Nope.

I do like the quick-release, but that's not enough to keep me using a fundamentally flawed piece of gear.

The way I’m reading it, that’s not what he said. I could be completely wrong on that part of this conversation.

Where I am correct, for me anyway, and 10 years of experience with all Ronn’s snare drums, is this -

The KNOB can be turned to ANY tension one wants , just like any throw off …. As tight as one wants , and as loose as one wants , and in some ways more loose than other throw’s , because of the -

friction screw , Which is very easily accessible and you do not have to remove anything to play with this screw , and it’s easy to use ….. once you set the knob , and you can set it so the wires are barely scratching the reso head , tighten the screw , hit the head with a sledgehammer and those wires won’t budge , plain and simple. But -

You will still be able to turn the knob to change the tension. Flawless.

And if you want to move the chains away from the reso head you just flick the lever down just like you would with any other throw off.

And then of course all the other goodies that this throw off promises.

Point is , If you know how this throw off works , I almost think it’s impossible to have a problem, but that’s just me.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone’s input.

To clarify, apparently there is a friction adjustment that will keep the wires at the tension they are set.

Also, it seems there are instructions on how to set this that come with the throw off IF you buy it on its own.

The Keplinger came with the newest model of the R4, which is different than the earlier ones in how the friction screw is adjusted.

I can’t find information on the Dunnett site about how to adjust it, there are no videos I’ve seen that addresses it, and the “contact” form on the Dunnett sight doesn’t seem to be functioning.

As it is now, the wires loosen from playing, making the sound and playability of the drum change mid song. Eventually, if not tightened mid song, the wires will eventually get so loose that the whole throw disengages. That happened twice on the gig last weekend.

I’m at a loss that a piece of hardware doesn’t do it’s intended job, and that if it does have a feature to address this, that the info is not accessible.

I’m sure I’ll just end up with an Inde (I have several), and have had zero issues.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone’s input.

To clarify, apparently there is a friction adjustment that will keep the wires at the tension they are set.

Also, it seems there are instructions on how to set this that come with the throw off IF you buy it on its own.

The Keplinger came with the newest model of the R4, which is different than the earlier ones in how the friction screw is adjusted.

I can’t find information on the Dunnett site about how to adjust it, there are no videos I’ve seen that addresses it, and the “contact” form on the Dunnett sight doesn’t seem to be functioning.

As it is now, the wires loosen from playing, making the sound and playability of the drum change mid song. Eventually, if not tightened mid song, the wires will eventually get so loose that the whole throw disengages. That happened twice on the gig last weekend.

I’m at a loss that a piece of hardware doesn’t do it’s intended job, and that if it does have a feature to address this, that the info is not accessible.

I’m sure I’ll just end up with an Inde (I have several), and have had zero issues.

@Ptrick , did you watch that video I posted? At one minute 30 seconds in it shows you how to adjust it so your throw stays in place and doesn’t fall off your drum. (@bpaluzzi , maybe your right and he is talking about what your saying? Either way it’s adjustable , even at a loose as a goose tension, so it doesn’t drop or fall off your drum).

@Ptrick , maybe I’m “lost” because I’m not understanding how this is a problem ,, I have used every series of this throw that has been produced by Dunnett in the past 9 years ,, I will post a picture of the LATEST R4C and the LATEST R4L , from Sweetwater , and the LATEST KEPLINGER from DCP , where the screw type mechanism’s are … I believe these are the only 3 you could use on your Keplinger (If you want post a picture of your drum here for me).

Here’s that video again just in case you haven’t seen it start one minute 30 seconds in , yes one of the older versions , but just in case it’s the one you have.

Ok , now a picture of the latest R4C screw mechanism. PICTURE NUMBER 6 IS THE SCREW MECHANISM.

Ok , now a picture of the LATEST R4L friction mechanism. PICTURE NUMBER 5 YOU CAN SEE IT IN.

Now from DCP the latest variation for the Keplinger Snare drum. YOU CAN SEE THE FRICTION SCREW MECHANISM IN PICTURE NUMBER 2.

I promise it works. I did all the work I could just now to get you this information. There is no other variation. They are all above for you. God bless

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@Ptrick , did you watch that video I posted? At one minute 30 seconds in it shows you how to adjust it so your throw stays in place and doesn’t fall off your drum. (@bpaluzzi , maybe your right and he is talking about what your saying? Either way it’s adjustable , even at a loose as a goose tension, so it doesn’t drop or fall off your drum).

@Ptrick , maybe I’m “lost” because I’m not understanding how this is a problem ,, I have used every series of this throw that has been produced by Dunnett in the past 9 years ,, I will post a picture of the LATEST R4C and the LATEST R4L , from Sweetwater , and the LATEST KEPLINGER from DCP , where the screw type mechanism’s are … I believe these are the only 3 you could use on your Keplinger (If you want post a picture of your drum here for me).

Here’s that video again just in case you haven’t seen it start one minute 30 seconds in , yes one of the older versions , but just in case it’s the one you have.

Ok , now a picture of the latest R4C screw mechanism. PICTURE NUMBER 6 IS THE SCREW MECHANISM.

Ok , now a picture of the LATEST R4L friction mechanism. PICTURE NUMBER 5 YOU CAN SEE IT IN.

Now from DCP the latest variation for the Keplinger Snare drum. YOU CAN SEE THE FRICTION SCREW MECHANISM IN PICTURE NUMBER 2.

I promise it works. I did all the work I could just now to get you this information. There is no other variation. They are all above for you. God bless
Ok, that was VERY helpful! So, I loosen the tension adjustment all the way, stick something pointy in that hole, and tighten it back up. Is that correct?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Ok, that was VERY helpful! So, I loosen the tension adjustment all the way, stick something pointy in that hole, and tighten it back up. Is that correct?
i think you can tighten it from where it is already

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, it worked! Tension adjuster now stays in place. Showtime in 20 minutes!

3A172C65-E6D9-40D7-ABE6-5BEBBB1685ED.jpeg
65BA9125-FE18-480E-A1FF-5111A10D4D80.jpeg