header.nohb.html

Friday Five-fer - Genesis

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Few hours early maybe. Wife is off to the west coast visiting family. I couldn't go, too busy at work but I did make TG dinner for my son who couldn't go because he's sick. Not Covid but coughing and hacking relentlessly for over 10 days now. He's not the only one around here with that crud, it's going around. He's fine too, just can't stop coughing.

The stuffing was a little salty (I used stock instead of water) but it all turned out ok. Even the chickens got a little feast with canned corn.

Special thanks to someone who helped out.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out The Musical Box for one of the only ways to see what Phil was doing back then. He was so good.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3 Sides Lives is an all time album for me .
Me too. When this was released, I was mowing lawns specifically to buy music and couldn’t wait to get it after hearing Abacab live on local rock radio.

The In The Cage medley from this record will always be one of my favorite pieces of music of all time. Tony Banks’ fleet-fingered solos are mesmerizing and astounding.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too. When this was released, I was mowing lawns specifically to buy music and couldn’t wait to get it after hearing Abacab live on local rock radio.

The In The Cage medley from this record will always be one of my favorite pieces of music of all time. Tony Banks’ fleet-fingered solos are mesmerizing and astounding.
Wow , I’ve said that same thing about the In The Cage Medley !!

That drumming is so great , and that roundhouse fill at the end !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto on “In The Cage”.
I plum wore that track out.
It still moves me all these years later.
That fourth side of this had some pretty cool studio tunes.
It bugged the heck out of me when the chosen streaming service did not include the fourth side for streaming.
Only three of the four sides.

bluejacketsfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was on a Genesis kick last week. Listen to several albums all the way through, which i probably hadn't done in at least 10 years. There's some great stuff in there.

Chester and Phil don't get enough recognition for their drumming, in my opinion.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got Genesis spoon fed.

Nuff said.

Btw both these:

And these guys are killing it:

Saw the latter some years ago with dad and according to them they were close to the original in terms of staging and such.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Have to include a couple with Anthony Phillips, the original guitarist.

To this very day, the boys in the band attest to what a major contributor he was to the songwriting during his early, limited tenure; so much so, his sudden departure in the summer of 1970 left them thinking they couldn't go on without their co-founder.

Despite being a fantastic songwriter on 12-string guitar, one of Ant's standout tracks features his piano composition on the intro to Visions of Angels from Trespass. And as the song Dusk shows, this entire period still retains beguiling soundscapes that are at once both innocent and haunting, while also being extremely evocative of things still to come.

It's worth noting that the song Musical Box, though not recorded until the album following Ant's departure, actually features a number of frameworks of his own composition, which a couple of surprising early demos bear out. As a result, this remarkable piece may be the one song in the entire Genesis catalogue to feature input from all six of the band's legendary members on a single track. (The discovery of the full-band demo, "Manipulation" - recorded before Ant's exit - was a jaw-dropping find when it was uncovered several years ago).