FS: 1owner house kept Vintage 60s/70s Ludwig Super Classic Drum Set w/ 10 lug Supra and many extras Blue Sparkle 20 12 16 5x14

hatandbeard

Reaction score
For Sale
Vintage Ludwig Super Classic Drum Set with matching 10 lug Supraphonic
Original Blue Sparkle
Late 60s early 70s
1 owner, Born together set, I received set from my neighbor who got it when he was a kid from his parents. Most likely from one of the Chicago drum shops during the 70's era.
No fade no gigs no smoke no dings no rashes no sunlight, no modifications, no extra holes; with all it's original parts.
House kept drum set with No sunlight fade☆♡!
14x20 8x12 16x16 5x14
Blue Sparkle is bright
Drums are in beautiful condition, in round, beautiful bearing edges, badges are tight, rims and hoops are in round, wrap is in great shape all around, seems are tight, no dents in the Supra or the rims or the hoops. All the drums tune up-and-down wonderfully, set sounds fantastic as you would imagine and certainly would sound amazing with some new heads of your choice.
Supra has all its chrome, no flaking and with only minor crazing/pitting. More pics available. Throw off lever Not bent. Date stamp on Supra sadly didn't survive cleaning while I did attempt to save it glad I took a couple photos beforehand. Snare wires are original but need replacing as one strand is bent.
Entire set and hardware were all very very very dirty when I got them. Lots of patience/time, a clean workspace and supplies, nothing harsh, borrowing a tumbler, and a little bit of help brought these back to life.
Original factory Ludwig heads top n bottom n front n back: snare side head needs replacing/torn, bass drum heads front and back are minty with only a very small ding on the batter side near the bottom logo, snare batter head well worn, 12" batter head well worn reso side is minty, 16" batter head general wear reso side is minty. Snare, tom and bass drum have 60s script logo heads, floor tom has 70s script logo heads.
Snare, tom amd bass drum are keystone badges and floor tom is blue and olive badge; I was showing a picture to some folks on one of the Facebook drum group pages and someone has the exact same configuration and we both got a kick out of that; I am curious how many of these combination transition year sets are out there. And for what it's worth there is a minty looking blue sparkle keystone 14x14 super classic on the fb drum pages as of recent ;)
Only unoriginal parts: thumb screw on cymbal top tilter, wing screw on cymbal L-arm mount.
*Stands all look great with small areas of chrome loss/deterioration on minor areas/not on arms or tubing, more pics available.
Snare stand is a WFL. Hi-hat stand is 60s. Cymbal stand is 60s. They all work great and look great with minor chrome loss/deterioration on some small areas here 'n there and the hi-hat pedal does have some major pitting to the bottom vertical chrome post bar base near the pull rod.
Hi-hat stand pull rod is arrow straight, with original clutch and felt. Hi-hat stand glides. I'll miss it.
Original snare cord is in great condition.
Cymbal stand has original felt, sleeve and mickey mouse ear top thumbscrew.
Included: Original - minty Ludwig Cowbell and bass drum mount arm clamp for cowbell (one side of cow bell shows a little bit of discoloration but is very clean all around), 70s script logo Speed drum key, additional extra angled felt bass drum beater, consolette key, extra hex nut for consolette, throne base(missing original seat top sadly-70s Ludwig throne top with no underside mount included though maybe you have a bracket.) Pretty great he kept all that stuff.
*Original Paiste Ludwig Standard redlabel cymbals sold previously but were a 15" set of thin thats and an 18" crash/Not included only for reference only*
*All rubber feet have been replaced, *bass drum hoops Professionally repainted, *seam on 16" floor tom Professionally reglued, Thank you Drugan's Drums. and Joe Marquardt-HITDRUM ☆♡ outstanding and thank you.
All the original tension rods and tension rod washers are there and none are bent. Some discoloration on the snare and toms tension rods even after being tumbled.
The bass drum T-rods show significant chrome loss/deterioration on the ends. More pics available.
Bass drum claws look great.
Floor tom legs look great and are straight.
**The speed king bass drum pedal works great, has been disassembled, cleaned, regreased; and also shows major chrome loss and deterioration one the left side only/to were the endcap won't stay on/so there is a flexible rubber washer smashed into the grease over the bearing which actually works just fine believe it or not and it is what it is/out of all of the things on the entire drum set to suffer the most was the bass drum pedal as it was pretty much Completely Rusted. After having cleaned many of these speed kings in the past, with a little bit of patience, it looks ok and works great minus these noted elements and I'm happy to send pics. Fortunately this was the worst of it.
Rail consolette is minty with little to no wear on the knurled L-arm or the hex screws.
Lugs all look great, 1 lug near the back near the seam on the 8x12 has a small ding you might not notice but wanted to mention it.
Bass drum hoops are in round with little to no warping.
Small amount of white paint loss on the inside of the bass drum, inside of the 12 white paint looks great with only one small discoloration area, inside of the 16 lacquered natural maple looks beautiful with no paper tag no date stamp.
Serial #s: 8x12 keystone 437455 white muffler MAR20----date stamp, 16x16 blue and olive badge 1008672 round dark grey felt muffler no date stamp, 14x20 bass drum keystone badge 437258 no date stamp, 5x14 supra keystone badge 489879 white muffler MAY 2- 1967 date stamp if im reading it correctly.
*No L-arm for the bass drum/*no rubber feet on bass drum spurs.
Nonsmoker no pets clean apartment. Many more pics available.
Asking $3500 shipped tracked insured delivery confirmation in the u.s.48 (lots of extras, chrome on supra, late 60s/early 70s, super detailed cuz it had to be, no fade, great sizes, out of the box ready for gigs, tours, the studio or the home. I know how to pack a drum set safely and efficiently☆♡
Full complete vintage set with lots of extras and only minor flaws.
There is a you tube video up of this set:)
I ship well packed safe and secure with tracking and insurance.
Happy to ship anywhere in the world buyer pays shipping insurance customs fees handling etc. International shipping will be more etc please message me first.
I have 100% feedback on all the places. Happy to chat. Let me know if you have questions or need more photos. Selling some of my drum and cymbal collection please inquire. Gotta clean house etc. Offers are aok.
I have vintage drum shop work experience-love-passion and know how to ship safely and securely. Happy to chat. I play full-time not a collector all the respects to everyone.

Attachments

Last edited:

hatandbeard

Reaction score
More pics

Attachments

Drummer1990

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it me or am I the only one that notices this drum set has all keystone badging but floor tom has a Pointy b/o badge.. with that pointed out I am somewhat skeptical that this "all original serials matching set. Just my observations

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is it me or am I the only one that notices this drum set has all keystone badging but floor tom has a Pointy b/o badge.. with that pointed out I am somewhat skeptical that this "all original serials matching set. Just my observations
You're not the only one. The seller in the first post clearly identified that difference.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it still a Super Classic with a 20" bass drum and a 12" tom? I thought the SC configuration was always 22-16-13.

Someone clue me in, please.
I think what you know is correct. The super classics are 22/16/13 and the 20/16/13 or 12 is called super beat and of course the 20/14/12 is the down beat, unless the name “super beat” is what people came up with since it is a mix of super classic and down beat. At least this is what I have seen being advertised for sale all these years I have been into vintage drums. I think people could order different sizes but the standard 22/16/13 was known as super classic and 20/14/12 as down beat.
This is a beautiful set indeed.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay checking in now I've been swamped doing my best to keep up with everything..... wishing all of you well

Yeah pretty wild that it has a blue and Olive badge early 70s floor tom with it.. and yes I believe I did mention that and it's pretty cool that it was a set that was sold this way...good to know that this gentleman got it when he was a kid from his parents etc otherwise I would have been curious if that floor tom would have been added on at some point; but I've also seen a lot of interesting things having worked at a couple vintage drum shops; and I don't think I've seen too many one nighter Ludwig sets of that era.. and I'm interested to know if it came from the factory like this or if it came from one of the Chicago drum shops like this? He's not somebody that would have noticed any of these details like any of us etc.. I was grateful to get the set even though it had to be extensively cleaned.. I was also thrilled when somebody from one of the Facebook drum Pages chimed in and said they have the exact same setup in the same sizes and badge configuration.
☆♡ and actually I haven't heard of the super beat that is good to know!

I always appreciate everyone's time grateful for the site as well.
I grew up playing Slingerland and Ludwig snares in school band and then became fascinated with Gretsch but my first vintage set was a Ludwig Club date 20 12 14 in Green Glass glitter rewrap..
Like many of us or all of us :) I've owned and tried what feels like everything, kinda.
Sad to see this set go it's sweet.
It'll make somebody happy for a long time.
Excited to get it to a good new home.

Last edited:

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any trades with toilet paper????? Just kidding, and that kit is freakin awesome!!!!! Wishing and buying lotto tickets!

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I think what you know is correct. The super classics are 22/16/13 and the 20/16/13 or 12 is called super beat and of course the 20/14/12 is the down beat, unless the name “super beat” is what people came up with since it is a mix of super classic and down beat. At least this is what I have seen being advertised for sale all these years I have been into vintage drums. I think people could order different sizes but the standard 22/16/13 was known as super classic and 20/14/12 as down beat.
This is a beautiful set indeed.
I sincerely appreciate the info☆