FS: 20" 1765 gram Trans Stamp

curly

Reaction score
Hi all,

For sale is a thin 20 Trans Stamp. It has a buffed top which is not super common. Drilled for 4 rivets, none currently. The sound file is a reasonable representation for being a cell phone video taken in my basement. A gem of a cymbal. Crystalline bell, trans stamp shimmer, and a lovely crash. It has a slight bit of edge warp as you can see in the 4th picture.

Asking $400 plus shipping.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for anything.. Maybe a 22, also thin?

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For sale is a thin 20 Trans Stamp. It has a buffed top which is not super common. Drilled for 4 rivets, none currently. The sound file is a reasonable representation for being a cell phone video taken in my basement. A gem of a cymbal. Crystalline bell, trans stamp shimmer, and a lovely crash. It has a slight bit of edge warp as you can see in the 4th picture.

I'm considering this. For aniPhone file that sounds great. Question... can you tell me about the buffing ? I've seen it before but never really knew much about it..

Thanks

curly

Reaction score
Check out Zen's response here:

"About the shiny finish: Zildjian have produced (and we have documented) buffed finish cymbals since at least the early Trans Stamps. I had been calling it "burnished" to distinguish it from the full on "brilliant" which came after the 1960s. Brilliant (buffing) patent = 3640029 filed Feb 16, 1970 granted Feb 8, 1972. Robert Zildjian.

Just recently I was re-reading my Pinksterboer Cymbal Book and noticed that in a footnote on p82 (which isn't indexed): "Zildjian applied buffing before World War II". So Pinksterboer is independent confirmation of the early buffing. I will change my usage to buffing (rather than burnished) now that I've spotted that Pinksterboer has a prior published usage using the term "buffing"."

I'm sure Zen or one of the other vintage experts could tell you more. I think there were some threads on cymbalholic but it looks like its not even accessible anymore.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO they are the best cymbals out there for medium amplified music if you have a hankering for the Old A vibe. I have a whole set of these, 14 hats, 2 18s, 2 22s and I've found that the buffing adds some glassiness and brightness to the tone that helps them cut a bit more and sparkle behind the music. I've considered that I'm full of it and just like the way they look, but Ive owned alot of other trans stamps that were more traditional with deeper lathe lines and chocolate patina, they were great but had a different thing going, and just don't quite do it as much for me. You cna clearly hear that sparkle in Curly's video.

I looked for a long time for a 20" around this weight to fill out my set. The only reason I haven't bought this already is because I did pick up a non-TS buffed 50s A a few years back that's very special. Despite my OCD wanting to have all TS, it makes me sad thinking about non playing the one I already have.

Also, Curly is awesome to work with. He's old school cymbalholic and I've done a number of deals with him in the past.

I'm considering this. For aniPhone file that sounds great. Question... can you tell me about the buffing ? I've seen it before but never really knew much about it..

Thanks

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just GAVE a perfect one of these away just yesterday to a friend's kid who's taking up drums. (Truth told the cymbal may have been 'liberated' from HS some 40 years ago and I didn't feel right selling or trading it.). I also gave the kid my 70's Butcher Block Ludwig's....

Maybe I was too nice.... but his dad and I played in bands from 5th grade on, and they recently moved back to the town we grew up in. So it's all kind of returning full circle.

Actually what would be really cool would be if the neighbors he's soon going to water off are the kids of my old neighbors. That would be some kung fu twilight zone karma!

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

PM'ed you. Thanks

curly

Reaction score
And another video from a different perspective. Why am I selling this?