header.nohb.html

Fuji HVLP Gravity Feed Turbine Spray System

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there use this system for spraying Lacquer ? Thoughts appreciated . I have a traditional compressor setup but I’m wondering if this gives better , even results with the low pressure . Don’t need any hiccup’s the rest of the way with these Shells .

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the product? I'm not finding anything on a turbine system from fuji.

I picked up a couple LVLP guns at the beginning of the year but haven't gotten around to buying a larger compressor so I haven't used them yet.

Reactions: DBT

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@TommyD: Fujispraysystems.com . I’m looking at the Semi Pro 2 model . Google the model your looking at and a bunch of different sellers come up
. The more I’m researching the more hooked I’m getting on this . Guns are easy to clean , high viscosity low consistent pressure . 3 settings on the gun that look well built etc. The various videos look good . Canadian company and the reviews look good as well . $489 I’m going to give it a shot . People are complaining about the rigid hose but they make a 6 ft. Flexible , for a few bucks more I’ll give that a go as well . Other nice features are you can covert the gun to Top or Bottom feed . Nice assortment of heads too .

Last edited:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I looked in to these systems a while back, maybe late 2021. I know there was a reason I decided against it. It may have been limitations with tip sizes or it not working well with certain types of paint. I can't quite remember. Im sure it will work, though.

What type of painting are you planning on doing? As in, are you just looking to do solid colors, maybe a bit of metallics? If so, this would probably work, but make sure that gun is offered with a lot of different tip sizes. I want to spray metal flake so I need a gun that has huge tip size options with good atomization and another that is for finer spraying and excellent atomization for clear. I think that's why I did the two gun option and a compressor vs buying a "system".

I would just google the product and see if you can find independent reviews of it. If they say its good and the system meets your needs for painting, then I say go for it. Its cheaper than buying all the other equipment separately.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I looked in to these systems a while back, maybe late 2021. I know there was a reason I decided against it. It may have been limitations with tip sizes or it not working well with certain types of paint. I can't quite remember. Im sure it will work, though.

What type of painting are you planning on doing? As in, are you just looking to do solid colors, maybe a bit of metallics? If so, this would probably work, but make sure that gun is offered with a lot of different tip sizes. I want to spray metal flake so I need a gun that has huge tip size options with good atomization and another that is for finer spraying and excellent atomization for clear. I think that's why I did the two gun option and a compressor vs buying a "system".

I would just google the product and see if you can find independent reviews of it. If they say its good and the system meets your needs for painting, then I say go for it. Its cheaper than buying all the other equipment separately.
I’m going to strictly use it for lacquer’s , sealers . I read a ton of reviews on Amazon , HD etc. , YouTube clips . For what I’m using it for should be perfect . I just don’t need inconsistent results with my multi stage setup / guns . See how it works out .

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
I was looking at these, but my materials supplier advised against it. He said those generate heat in the air, which can affect the way the paint flows. He said just get a compressor and hvlp or hte spray gun, which has worked great for me.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@indedrum: Interesting you brought that up , I found on their site where you can download the manual and I’m actually reading it now and they state to keep the Turbine outside the are you are spraying in which makes sense from the heat aspect and the turbine stirring up particles in the air . I’m looking at HVPL guns now also to run off my compressor . With the compressor set somewhere between 25 and 30 psi maybe just picking up the gun will do the trick like you said . I just figured if I’m investing that much in a quality gun I’d spend a hundred more and get the whole setup . Crossroads .

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unless you have a big compressor tank (like 60 gallon minimum) I wouldn't recommend a HVLP gun. They use way too much air and you end up having way too much overspray because of it. You should be able to get away with a 25-30 gallon tank if you use a LVLP spray gun.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a big compressor tank (like 60 gallon minimum) I wouldn't recommend a HVLP gun. They use way too much air and you end up having way too much overspray because of it. You should be able to get away with a 25-30 gallon tank if you use a LVLP spray gun.
The shop compressor is large . I have smaller ones as well . Over spray and orange peel has been a consideration in this . One thing I have going for me is no humidity so no retarder necessary .

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, there are certainly many more options for HVLP guns out there than LVLP so best of luck choosing what will work best for you. I was fortunate, and unfortunate I guess, to be choosing LVLP guns so my options were limited to like 5 or 6 guns total.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, there are certainly many more options for HVLP guns out there than LVLP so best of luck choosing what will work best for you. I was fortunate, and unfortunate I guess, to be choosing LVLP guns so my options were limited to like 5 or 6 guns total.
So the end result was that I put the brakes on a purchase and ended up taking into account what you were saying and bought a Devilbiss DV1 . I couldn’t find a LVLP gun I liked . What led me down this road was that all my conventional guns are old and tired and I thought about something compact like the Fuji as I’m leaving for the winter and taking the stained shells and everything else with me to finish . Ultimately I’m just gonna crate up the big compressor for the trip . Thanks for the input and helping me come to the right decision .

kopterguy

Reaction score
I have a turbine type system that I have used on drums and I really like. It runs on 110v so I can use it more places. It puts out a true high volume, low pressure and really was easy to shoot.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of Devilbiss guns to replace my old ones but the thought of packing up my big compressor along with everything else was turning me off so I bought the Mini Mite 5 . I spent a lot of time researching them and I’m looking forward to testing it out next week . I like the idea it will pack in a Rubbermaid container, big plus and very little overspray , wide fan adjustment etc. I think it will be perfect for spraying shells as you said . All’s I got to do now is build a Lazy Susan for the spraying , I like the one in Noble and Cooley’s YouTube video and it will be easy to build .

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
If you are painting smaller stuff like drum shells you might consider a small booth to control any overspray that you might get. I built one for about a hundred bucks with some old box fans and it does an amazing job of catching all the overspray, especially when I'm shooting primer.

Attachments

• DSCN3131.JPG
    DSCN3131.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN3134.JPG
    DSCN3134.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 14

jojodrum

Reaction score
I use the Fuji 2804-T75G Mini-Mite 4 PLATINUM to spray Mohawk string instrument lacquer and once you have it and your technique dialed in it produces beautiful results.

Attachments

• IMG_3417.jpeg
    IMG_3417.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3418.jpeg
    IMG_3418.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3331.jpeg
    IMG_3331.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 10

FlowTom

Reaction score
I bought a Binks LVLP gun some years ago and it still works well, so I haven't thought of trying anything else.
That gun really became useful when I added a small pressure pot for quicker, easier material changes.
The best upgrade was ditching the standard pressure pot material hose and using clear reinforced PVC tubing, which I buy by the foot at the local hardware store.
Watching the material leave the pot and travel along the clear line to the gun is addictive. And is a helpful visual aid during cleanout.
PVC tubing is cheap enough to allow me to change the material line when I go from color to clear and also to replace the line when it ages and stiffens.
The reinforcement webbing helps the tubing maintain its shape when solvents are running through the line. No weakening of the tubing wall and bulges caused by air pressure.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Fuji 2804-T75G Mini-Mite 4 PLATINUM to spray Mohawk string instrument lacquer and once you have it and your technique dialed in it produces beautiful results.
Nice .

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are painting smaller stuff like drum shells you might consider a small booth to control any overspray that you might get. I built one for about a hundred bucks with some old box fans and it does an amazing job of catching all the overspray, especially when I'm shooting primer.
Great idea . So here’s the low down on the issues you brought up . I’m heading up to my cabin for the Winter and have a fairly new 10’x14’ shop with nothing in it , the walls are insulated and Sheet rocked . No garage door just a 36” Steel entry door in the front . I’m going to install a window in the center back wall for a box fan and split the shop in half side to side . That will give me a spraying area of 10’x7’ for spraying and 10’x7 for staging and drying . I’m using Mohawk Instrument Sealer and Classic Lacquer for my shells . I want to keep a temp of around 73 degrees in there at all times and am trying to figure out what to do about that , thinking 2 Oil filled electric heaters as I understand the stuff is extremely flammable / combustible . My partition is going to be a Zip Wall totally sealed except for running the hose at the bottom corner . Im going with the remote also . Am I missing anything ? Thought’s appreciated . Thanks to everyone for responding .