Roundovers with re-rings, shallow beds that taper off at the first lug either side of the wires. Tuned up, it sounds magnificently full and stunning with the snares disengaged. When the snares are on though, it sounds papery. It completely loses its otherwise glorious body. I’ve tried different tensions on the wires, etc.
This is the fourth drum I’ve built; second snare. I have and play about a dozen snare drums, and this phenomenon doesn’t happen on other drums of mine. That is to say, I know how to tune drums and tension snare wires.
Some additional potentially relevant specs, if this info would help to diagnose:
- 16-strand steel wires with bronze clips
- Wires are evenly tensioned
- Wires are centered appropriately (both ways)
- Batter head is single ply coated
- Snare side head is 2mil. That’s pretty thin as snare-sides go (standard is 3mil). If the drum didn’t sound so full when the snares are off, I’d think this might be the problem.
Thanks in advance!