Fun article I found on drum innovations that failed

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those North toms look like they could be repurposed into slides on a kids' playground. Anyone ever heard them live? Do they sound good? Do they project? Can you make them part of a fire escape?

Dan

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
There were a couple of smaller innovations that didn't make it as well. Remember Pro-Mark's foot pedal that clamped on to both the upper and lower sides of the hoop?

I miss those Zildjian Cymbal Snaps too. I heard that they broke easily when the stands were tossed into the trap case.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those North toms look like they could be repurposed into slides on a kids' playground. Anyone ever heard them live? Do they sound good? Do they project? Can you make them part of a fire escape?

Dan
They look like a giant version of vintage hearing aids:
hearing.jpeg

fibes3

Reaction score
Had a set of North drums back in the late 70's. They were my first real drum set. I have no idea what possessed me to buy them.
The other candidates were: Ludwig Stainless Steel, Ludwig Chrome over wood, Fibes, and a Slingerland wood kit.

The North drums were loud!!
But good luck getting cases for them.
They were a fun indulgence but I glad they're gone.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had a set of North drums back in the late 70's. They were my first real drum set. I have no idea what possessed me to buy them.
The other candidates were: Ludwig Stainless Steel, Ludwig Chrome over wood, Fibes, and a Slingerland wood kit.

The North drums were loud!!
But good luck getting cases for them.
They were a fun indulgence but I glad they're gone.
Ouch! Those other candidates seemed like great choices. But it was your first so you probably went by what looked cool to you then. I've bought weird stuff too and then after a while have thought: "Why the heck did you buy that?" (I had an AMC Pacer once. I thought it was cool till everybody laughed)
But you know, if you would have kept those North drums you would have had a nice collectors kit that's worth a lot and definitely a great conversation piece. (My example for this one is that I had a Chevy Corvair that was given to me as a gift. I got bored with it and sold it for peanuts back then) All this illogical decision making happened when I was young. But it is what it is!

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another idea that didn't quite make it was the Tommy Piskos bass drum. Tommy, a former Tommy Dorsey drummer from Bay City, Michigan, devised an oval shaped bass drum that would take the place of two bass drums and was built from Gretsch parts. He tried to sell the idea to Gretsch but the company wasn't interested, probably because they would rather sell two bass drums and not have to invest in additional design, engineering and tooling.

musicman64

Reaction score

Dan
I was living and playing in Portland when Roger North { Holy Modal Rounders } drummer was building those drums. SO. I had to have some. Had 2 sets over about 15 years. Not particularly loud, sort of boxey and flat sounding. As stated..transportation and set-up/take down was a bitch.. Heavy, awkward, needed a tool belt to set them up{ drum key..allen wrench..1/2"&3/8" wrench. } Ah the past...what fun.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was living and playing in Portland when Roger North { Holy Modal Rounders } drummer was building those drums. SO. I had to have some. Had 2 sets over about 15 years. Not particularly loud, sort of boxey and flat sounding. As stated..transportation and set-up/take down was a bitch.. Heavy, awkward, needed a tool belt to set them up{ drum key..allen wrench..1/2"&3/8" wrench. } Ah the past...what fun.
My buddy had a set of early 80's Ludwigs that required what I recall was a 9/16" or 1/2" wrench for most tom positioning. Yup, the past!

Dan

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Little known fact, for a couple years there, the drummer on those North Concert Toms tried getting a band together with that Ricola guy. If only they'd written more hits, those drums might have caught on.
View attachment 390493 View attachment 390494
1976 Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps used North Drums. Fortunately for the guys who carried them around, they were small diameter...

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Add to the list those really dry, trash can lids ride cymbals.