Funch Cymbals

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where are guys working with these cymbals? What music and gigs are you playing these in?

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
@Markkuliini How are your rides aging? I got one on last month's batch and it's rusting so quickly on top side, I asked Lasse and said that could be acid remnants and that I could wash it and dry to stop the acid from working.
Seems that being uncoated and with a prototype/experimental processes every ride is a surprise on how will develop or age, as far as look and probably sound.
What's the point of this acid treatment? It's not an uniform patina but different random spots, marks.
They definetely have the tendency to rust quick. This one for sale at Ebay from Jan 2021 batch is at Azores islands, so humidity is a huge factor here, but there must be something with the process that leaves bronze too exposed: https://www.ebay.es/itm/22-Ride-Cym...368798?hash=item1ab7d572de:g:n70AAOSwwk5gam61
My rides are aging in normal fashion, nothing out of ordinary. I have some that had no patina treatment at all at the beginning, so any oxidation shows easily. They have aged in very normal fashion, just getting bit darker in looks, no spottyness really. And most of mine have had some sort of patina from the start, and on them I have not seen any big changes really. I wouldn't mind then aging faster, actually, if that was an option.

I live close to the sea, but it's not very salty one, and it's quite dry climate here's in Stockholm. And I have really dry hands, and I've heard that is makes big difference wether you have dry or sweaty hands when you touch cymbals. Guitar players know this very well, sweaty hands will oxidate strings quite fast.

I know that bare bronze might oxidate in a uneven fashion in the beginning (I did a patina finish to one of my Funches with lye plus water mixture, and it was spotty in the beginning of the process, but evened out).

Have you had handmade cymbals before? I don't think that any artisans finish them like the big factories do, because it chokes the sound somewhat.
Hard to see from your pictures if that's out of ordinary. I would try what Lasse suggests, to wash it to make sure there's no acid there left.
I think cymbals that have his patina have been dunked totally into acid mixture to give that aged look (and it also dries up the sound), and maybe it was not cleaned well enough afterwards.

The one on the ebay looks really rough though. That might be some really salty sea air doing it's thing. I have seen similar cymbals, and they are almost everytime on some island etc.
I think it's easily removed though, if one wishes so.

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where are guys working with these cymbals? What music and gigs are you playing these in?
I also play rhythm and blues with mine, I have mostly selected heavier individuals, and they worked really well for that (when I still had gigs).

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mine look like this. Third and fourth picture are from when I did the patina myself. 3rd during, when I got bit nervous, and 4th after the process.

IMG_20210211_103649.jpg
IMG_20210102_120205.jpg
IMG_20201031_112203.jpg
IMG_20201031_125806.jpg
IMG_20200811_155612.jpg

osw000

Reaction score
Have you had handmade cymbals before? I don't think that any artisans finish them like the big factories do, because it chokes the sound somewhat.
Hard to see from your pictures if that's out of ordinary. I would try what Lasse suggests, to wash it to make sure there's no acid there left.
I think cymbals that have his patina have been dunked totally into acid mixture to give that aged look (and it also dries up the sound), and maybe it was not cleaned well enough afterwards.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
This is my first cymbalsmith ride. I've actualy seen some Old K's and Spizzs with even patinas from local players but I'm not familiar with different production techniques.
I would bet that mine has not been completely dipped on a patina solution. The bottom still had carbon dirt from the blank and seems that something liquid has been applied with a cloth on the top, judging by the textile marks and a ring of leftovers all around, were the oxidation is.

I have followed Lasse's advise and cleaned it with water. No harm but some areas got new brown rust stripes. I'll leave like this and see how it evolves.

I don't mind the looks as far as sounds good.

D54D75D2-83CF-4C91-80A9-6DEB15F3862C.jpeg

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience.
This is my first cymbalsmith ride. I've actualy seen some Old K's and Spizzs with even patinas from local players but I'm not familiar with different production techniques.
I would bet that mine has not been completely dipped on a patina solution. The bottom still had carbon dirt from the blank and seems that something liquid has been applied with a cloth on the top, judging by the textile marks and a ring of leftovers all around, were the oxidation is.

I have followed Lasse's advise and cleaned it with water. No harm but some areas got new brown rust stripes. I'll leave like this and see how it evolves.

I don't mind the looks as far as sounds good.

View attachment 493326

Oh yeah, you're right, he usually only patinas the top side.
What's the model, Elvin tribute?
To me it looks good on the last photo, but of course it's bit on an angle so it's hard to see completely.

osw000

Reaction score
Oh yeah, you're right, he usually only patinas the top side.
What's the model, Elvin tribute?
To me it looks good on the last photo, but of course it's bit on an angle so it's hard to see completely.
Yeah, Elvin's tribute 1954gr. I really dig this series! I like that the crash is not too dark or complex while being a low pitched cymbal. I'm looking forward to get some matching hats and another 20" to compliment this one (not sure yet if going with a lighter one for the left w/o rivets or leave this one for the left and look for another one a bit weighty with a tad more of stick def).

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Elvin's tribute 1954gr. I really dig this series! I like that the crash is not too dark or complex while being a low pitched cymbal. I'm looking forward to get some matching hats and another 20" to compliment this one (not sure yet if going with a lighter one for the left w/o rivets or leave this one for the left and look for another one a bit weighty with a tad more of stick def).
Great weight for 20"!

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Demoed this bit heavier 22" Funch Tony Williams tribute, at 2506 gr.
I got it through a trade, so it's not brand new but new to me.

Rarely you hear a cymbal so dynamic as this. With dynamic I mean how keeps it's character similar, no matter if you play it loud or really soft. Sure, it starts to wash little bit more when hit harder, but still it stays remarkably well in control.
Of course this is very common with heavier cymbals, BUT they often sound cold and brittle. Whereas this one sounds more like a lighter cymbal, with low pitch and warm sound, but keeps in check when hit harder AND has excellent and clear stick definition of a heavier cymbal.

2 different sticks, first Regal Tip 8A with barrel tip, then Regal Tip Jazz with oval tip.

nolibos

Reaction score
I love these Funch cymbals!
What technical terms would you use to describe the sound and stick feel of the Third Anniversary Ride (in the original post). I am working with a cymbal smith to modify a early nineties AEK ride.
Thanks,

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rarely you hear a cymbal so dynamic as this. With dynamic I mean how keeps it's character similar, no matter if you play it loud or really soft. Sure, it starts to wash little bit more when hit harder, but still it stays remarkably well in control.
Of course this is very common with heavier cymbals, BUT they often sound cold and brittle. Whereas this one sounds more like a lighter cymbal, with low pitch and warm sound, but keeps in check when hit harder AND has excellent and clear stick definition of a heavier cymbal.

2 different sticks, first Regal Tip 8A with barrel tip, then Regal Tip Jazz with oval tip.

Man that stick cuts like a knife, lv to hear that one in the mix. Killer!

curly

Reaction score

Lovely cymbal. Your thoughts cymbal dynamics is part of what I love about some of the Skibas and Lauritsens I have that have are heavier. Never cold or icy, but very responsive and balanced. I like to think of it as a cymbal being very in tune with itself if that makes any sense.