Funky Drummer-Playing HH with Foot

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have read that the 2& in the attached music is annotated as the foot closing the HH along with a stick strike at the same time.
You can see this in the second measure of both the first and second lines. There is a + on the cymbal line and a + on the high hat line.

My question is Clyde was playing fast 16th notes throughout.... How can you close the HH and hit with the stick without "splashing" note before.

Hope you understand what I am saying

Attachments

chillybase

Reaction score
Is this from the Breakbeat Bible?

You're talking about a hi-hat "gliss." The video below that I found on will give you an idea on how to do the gliss. It is a quick gliss where your toes barely lift up.
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 6.20.32 PM.png

I still can't get this beat exactly right when I play it. :D

Last edited:

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this from the Breakbeat Bible?

You're talking about a hi-hat "gliss." The video below that I found on will give you an idea on how to do the gliss. It is a quick gliss where your toes barely lift up.
View attachment 413493

I still can't get this beat exactly right when I play it. :D
thank you.. yes break beat bible

Supernoodle

Reaction score
I have read that the 2& in the attached music is annotated as the foot closing the HH along with a stick strike at the same time.
You can see this in the second measure of both the first and second lines. There is a + on the cymbal line and a + on the high hat line.

My question is Clyde was playing fast 16th notes throughout.... How can you close the HH and hit with the stick without "splashing" note before.

Hope you understand what I am saying
If you play these continuous 16ths on the hihat (lightly using the tip of the stick) I think it is just a matter of opening the hats slightly with your foot (in the spots indicated by 'o' in the transcription, or by ear from the original) and the sound will happen automatically. Make sure you play heel up for that.

I.e. the sound comes from the 'o' 16th note just before closing the hats 'x' which coincides with the next 16th... hope it makes sense :)

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
... My question is Clyde was playing fast 16th notes throughout.... How can you close the HH and hit with the stick without "splashing" note before.
As you're learning this technique, I think the main challenge is feeling the shorter duration/length of the 16th note versus the 8th note. I'd say the 8th note length is more common to the ear (i.e. disco beat sound) and makes it easier to accomplish over the 16th version.

One way I practice feeling the 16th, is to play 8th notes on the hand and the 16th with the foot without any barking, chirping or gliss (as mentioned above). Start very slowly at first before building up some speed. Alternatively you could play the 8th's on the ride and "chick" the 16th on the HH with the foot.

Latest posts