FYI: Sabian cymbal refresh now only supports "new" logo

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up - Sabian no longer offers their old logo as part of the cymbal refresh program (https://sabian.com/cymbal-refresh/)

I finally managed to snag a 90s 18" Rocktagon that's in pretty rough shape. I wanted to get it factory restored, but found out they'd only put the new logo on.

My own feelings about the new logo notwithstanding :pukeright: , it's not at all period appropriate for that cymbal, so that's a shame :)

Last edited:

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. I can't imagine it would really cost them too much just to keep the screens or stamps around for the old logo.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. I can't imagine it would really cost them too much just to keep the screens or stamps around for the old logo.
its not the cost...I suspect its about having one brand ID to show the world.

Does a roctagon really even need a logo?....Sabian's the only one's crazy enough to do that (check that, soultone's doing splashes).

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I really think Sabian has gone off the rails with trying to reinvent their brand. When I’m looking at cymbals to buy, I largely ignore them. I know they make a fine product, but they have become uninteresting to me.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the new logo, but I would definitely still use the refresh program with the new logo on the cymbals. It doesn't bother me that much.

I have sent a few cymbals to Sabian refresh and I could swear it seems like they just sent me a brand new cymbal in return, that's how good it is. They have made me a customer for life because of this program (and because their product line is just really good). And I will play everything from their B8 hi-hats (which I had used on recording sessions at major studios here in LA!) all the way up to the Artisan crashes that I have and cherish.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the new logo, but I would definitely still use the refresh program with the new logo on the cymbals. It doesn't bother me that much.

I have sent a few cymbals to Sabian refresh and I could swear it seems like they just sent me a brand new cymbal in return, that's how good it is. They have made me a customer for life because of this program (and because their product line is just really good). And I will play everything from their B8 hi-hats (which I had used on recording sessions at major studios here in LA!) all the way up to the Artisan crashes that I have and cherish.
If it was a new cymbal, or even a more generic "old" cymbal (I.e., an 18" medium crash), I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. But the Rocktagon is SUCH a nostalgia thing for me, and it just absolutely screams "90s Sabian". Putting that new logo on it (or even the "big AA" designation) just seems wrong. This cymbal needs the old Sabian logo w/ the small model designation. :)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then tell/ ask them... to NOT logo it at all..I bet they'd delete the step..
maybe some marking or date underneath etc

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I seriously don’t think about the logos on my cymbals. For the record, I don’t have any new Sabian logo cymbals, but if I were to buy new ones, it wouldn’t be any issue. Yes, I prefer the original logo. But I’m too busy drumming, I won’t notice what my cymbals have written on them. And I don’t think anyone else but other drummers who are really into checking out my cymbals will care.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually have one coming in tomorrow from Sabian.
Will publish pics.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Weird timing that both North American Z family cymbal companies seem to be losing their way at the same time. Zildjian letting go of their master craftsman, Paul Francis. Sabian insisting they're too cool for the room now that their logo identifies them as a 1990s pizza box.

With both of them leaving such rich legacy behind them, you'd think one of them would rush in to grab for that niche, instead of being in a competition to see who can invent the best, newest ways to suck.

Last edited:

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was considering having an old first generation HH ride redone due to a serious funk on the bottom from it being stored in an Anvil road case for 25 years and the foam in the case deteriorated and decided to become part of the cymbal -- the entire bottom. I cleaned it as well as I could but whatever the chemical reaction was it's tenacious. But it sounds better than I remember - drier.

I don't think I'd want the new logo on a nearly 50 yo cymbal so I'd request no logo on the bottom - just lathe it or whatever's necessary. Otherwise I wouldn't care about it. You'd think they would honor a request for a period correct logo on the really old stuff.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Looks to me like it would be great branding printed on a box of laxatives - especially the "unbound" word which is part of the registered trademark of Unbound Medicine Inc..

Why Sabian. Why?

Adore my Sabians though, none of which sport the new logo.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new logo seems like the most appropriate thing that could ever be on a Rocktagon.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Years ago, I asked for a Stage Crash with the large AAX logo(to match my other cymbals) and was told that they had either lost or gotten rid of the silkscreening. I believe that the new logo superseded the old one almost instantly on all fronts, including the refresh program, so I don't think this is a new development.

I haven't bought any new Sabians since the logo change, but if I did, the new logo is *not* welcome anywhere on my kit.

Dan

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm reading this and the Sabian website correctly, the Sabian Unbound logo might only be for the refreshed cymbals and their website logo (or "campaign" to be more precise). I see no indication that they'll be using the Unbound frozen chicken wings with ranch logo on any new cymbals.

Sabian... wait. Let me find my plaid, collared shirt to tie around my waist while I ride my Tony Hawk skateboard on the halfpipe with my cap on backwards with Rage Against the Machine blasting from a boombox.

sabian unbound logo.png
!!

Going by the replies it looks like some here think that's the new logo for all their cymbals, but again, it's for the the refreshed ones only.

Please tell me I'm right!