G&L Guitars

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got me another used G&L this week: this time it's a Doheny! Looks just like this one below. I took it straight to the guitar tech to get a complete set up (and fret work) done on it, since I didn't like the action and want it dialed in for no whammy. Haven't even plugged it in yet -- will be doing so for the first time at the end of this week. It's a simpler version of the Jazzmaster.

LBCD

Reaction score
Way back in 88 my friend and bass player in one of my first bands played a G&L. I remember It had too many toggle switches on it and he was always messing with them but he eventually sold it for a P Bass. That G&L recorded way better than any of his other basses. One of our EP’s he used a Sting Ray on 5 songs and the G&L on 1. Guess what song the bass sounds amazing compared to the rest....

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all my bass player with my Petty band uses it seems. He must have at least five of them. Sound great!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get over the sound of the G&L bass played here. I like it enough to add this bass to my collection one day (and probably sell the other two).

You might want to click past the guy talking, but it will be worth checking out if you like G&L basses.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I just bought a Fallout Tribute a couple of weeks ago after selling my Classic Vibe 70's Jazz, which was nice (especially with a Gotoh bridge) but heavy. Also, the reach of a 34 inch scale was getting to my arthritic fingers, especially above the fifth fret. I sold the Jazz and did quite a bit of research and discovered the Fallout. I bought one at Sweetwater, love the short scale, the weight which is about what my Epi 60's Tribute Les Paul weighs, and the single three way humbucker pickup, which is very versatile. I had to adjust my right hand technique and back way off, because this thing has a lot of output compared to my Jazz. A friend had a G&L in one of my bands, I was impressed by the sound of that thing. We used to do "Rain" and it really stood out during the melodic fills in the song.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Tribute L-2000 yesterday from Sweetwater. Looks like it's delivering on Saturday, and I can't wait! I haven't had a bass in a few years, despite me arguably being a better bass player than guitarist and drummer. It's at least the only instrument that I can read sheet music for. Here's a teaser picture of the actual bass that Sweetwater sent me.

200621245-angle-xlarge.jpg

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love mine,
But not a great guitar player
Guitar players of greater stature have played it and love it. FFF85E48-2AF4-4EC6-B915-485DAC037B71.jpeg B0E4D956-F1E4-47E6-93DC-510D862BE002.jpeg DA0DF2BB-3F7C-4A6F-B910-B1E5B5349C65.jpeg

Dillasdonuts

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't own any G&L guitars but I remember playing one in a music store back in the late 90s. It had the best fretboard and neck I ever played. I couldn't afford it at the time and I tried some others after it but I never found the same fit. They are great instruments. Of course, any instrument that will inspire you to play is a great instrument.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just bought a Tribute L-2000 yesterday from Sweetwater. Looks like it's delivering on Saturday, and I can't wait! I haven't had a bass in a few years, despite me arguably being a better bass player than guitarist and drummer. It's at least the only instrument that I can read sheet music for. Here's a teaser picture of the actual bass that Sweetwater sent me.
Have fun with it! In my experience, the Tributes are astoundingly close to the U.S. models. It's not the wide variance of the Squier vs. Fender, it's much closre to the real deal. The guitar tech that I take my stuff to for setups was shocked when he looked behind the headstock and saw it was Made in Indonesia. He told me he thought he was working on a USA guitar the entire time.

highmileage

Reaction score
I really want to like them, and I should- but I just can’t get into G&L. No idea what it is. Years ago I had a total of four, three L2000’s and an L1000 (at different times...). Long enough ago that early 80’s with chrome bridge models were easy to find. Heck, one of the L2K’s was mahogany and we still just didn’t click.

But, tastes change and I’d try one again if I was in the market. Really nicely made.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really want to like them, and I should- but I just can’t get into G&L. No idea what it is. Years ago I had a total of four, three L2000’s and an L1000 (at different times...). Long enough ago that early 80’s with chrome bridge models were easy to find. Heck, one of the L2K’s was mahogany and we still just didn’t click.

But, tastes change and I’d try one again if I was in the market. Really nicely made.
I don't like active basses and probably wouldn't like the L2K either. I have only 1 active bass in my current collection which is the first Fender bass I ever bought brand new, a Fender Precision Deluxe USA from 1998. It doesn't get played as much as the G&Ls, primarily because it's active, but it still feels great. It needs a set up, as it's a bit out of whack.

Just two G&Ls left in my collection, an LB-100 from the 1980s and a really new Tribute JB that I recently got from Musicians Friend on sale for $299.