Gary Burton - Vibraphonist

Pibroch

Reaction score
I have been so diggin' on Gary Burton stuff lately. I've bought a couple CD's and have gotten nearly every CD our library system has. And I'm a heavy metal kinda/progressive rock kinda guy.

Does anyone else like Gary?
Alone At Last was the first jazz LP I ever bought, at age 19. And a solo jazz concert supporting the album was my first live jazz experience. Love his artistry.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary is as big of a freak of nature on the vibes as Buddy was on the drums. His melodic and harmonic mind is out of this world as well as his technical ability on the vibes. It really says a lot when there is a 4 mallet grip developed by, and named after him.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like? I LOVE him.
"Easy As Pie" is a desert island album for me - great compositions and wonderful playing. Although "Times Square" is a very close second. Or "The New Quartet"? Heck, almost forgot about "Hotel Hello"! So much good stuff...

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been so diggin' on Gary Burton stuff lately. I've bought a couple CD's and have gotten nearly every CD our library system has. And I'm a heavy metal kinda/progressive rock kinda guy.

Does anyone else like Gary?
Simple answer:yes!

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He certainly IS a freak of nature. So smooth and just easy to take it all in. My favorite CD is Gary and the late great Chick Corea - In Concert Zurich. This is a live recording where those two make it sound so easy and yet the complexity blows my mind! Gary has unfortunately retired from performing.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here is why he retired:

Why are you retiring?

The simple answer is health reasons. I had six heart operations and I suffered some cognizant issues after the last one, which was a major one. I was without a heartbeat for half an hour and was revived. After I recovered, I noticed I didn’t have perfect pitch any more, which I had all my life. I also noticed that I had trouble sight-reading and everything that required intense concentration became a struggle. My playing reached a peak a few years ago and was now moving downward. I always said that I didn’t want to one day be a musician who could hardly play anymore … So, two years ago, I started the process of winding down. That’s now ending with this little tour.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My percussion teacher Gordon Stout, no slouch, held Gary in the highest esteem. I remember Gordon saying he never knew a better sight-reader.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I first saw Gary giving a clinic at Drums Unlimited in Bethesda, MD around 1971. He was still sporting the fringe leather look as he is in this clip. I was too young to remember any of what he said, but I was astounded at what I was hearing.
My favorite LPs were Crystal Silence and Alone at Last.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Saw him around 76 or so on a big ECM artists tour. He had both Metheny and Mick Goodrick on guitars, Steve Swallow on bass and Danny Gottlieb on drums. Maybe this was around the time of his “Dreams So Real” record.

I interviewed him a few years later. Great interview. Marvelous musician and a great ear for talent. What a career.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah.... of course! I fell asleep actually to an old Burton LP last night, Duster. He's played with some great drummers for sure: Roy Haynes, Bob Moses, Dan Gottlieb and probably a host of others. I dig all kinds of music, including the heavier rock kind of stuff that I dug in my youth. As time goes on though, I find myself digging really introspective music that rather than the falling for music that's more about catharsis - it's about settling into and going on a journey with the music. Gary Burton's music certainly has that kind of attraction.

If you dig Burton's stuff, check out Pat Metheny's first solo album (my favorite of his) Bright Size life. Metheny and the drummer, Bob Moses both played on some Burton LPs and the third guy none other than Jaco Pastorius. I'd argue that his playing on this album is every bit as good as his more well known later stuff with Weather Report.

Last edited: