GAS re-infection

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm really happy with my gear, and not really interested in buying more, until the last couple of weeks.

I have three full sets of cymbals, with one on my home set, one at big band rehearsal space, and one bagged up for gigging. Lately I've been doing a lot of small group jazz gigs and jams where my home cymbals sound really good. Only problem is that on a weekend like last one, where everything stayed in the car for three days, it leaves me with no cymbals at home, cramping my frequent desire to play. Of course I could always get out my gigging cymbals, but that's just too much effort.

So now I'm on the hunt for a pair of hihats and a ride cymbal. I'll probably add a couple of crashes, too, but that's for later.

I'm at the age where I should be getting rid of stuff, not adding to the stack. Anybody interested in a gong and stand?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will always approve the desire for more gear, Lol!!

Last edited:

karlcrafton

Reaction score
What kind of gong??

I used to be a huge gear head. Now, not so much.
Maybe I have seen the cycles of "old is new again" couple times and now it's ...meh.
I DID get excited about a DW adjustable L-arm/cowbell holder a year or so ago, but I don't know if it ever came out because of covid. Maybe it's sitting in a container on a ship waiting to get into port... (NAMM- Not Available Maybe March ...2022).

I never used to sell things, but have in the last few years. It actually wasn't that painful haha!
My only "regret" was "trading in" a cymbal DECADES ago, so I guess I have been lucky.

Got rid of all the heavy hardware stuff and went flat base, or medium light weight over 10 years ago now.

It's funny you said "it's to much effort" to pull a few cymbals out, and I would have never gotten that ....a few years ago... haha!

At least cymbals keep their value.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a pair of 14" Newbeats for hats, and am fairly open on a ride cymbal, but would likely stick with a 21" or 22" Zildjian, like a medium or ping ride.

Home set cymbals are a pair of 14's I put together from several I owned and a 1959 A medium ride I've owned since 1963. My gigging cymbals are 14" K Custom Dark Hats and a 22" K Custom ride. I've used them before in small group settings, and will take them out this weekend on two gigs with a septet and a trio. Might save myself a few bucks.