Gaucho, Steely Dan, Porcaro...

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
This is great. I haven’t listened to the Gaucho album i a long time, so I have it on now.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t know it just hits me that that way! But I love Kid Charlemagne!! I agree great stuff. I think it’s the story. Sometimes the stories are more epic (maybe?).
The guitar solos on that whole album still blow me away. Never get old.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm cross posting from another thread that I started.

Anyone ever heard these Steely Dan & Chick Corea covers by a then 63 year old Woody Herman, with a 25 year old Jeff Hamilton on drums? This record is not on iTunes or Prime Music. I do not own a turntable. Yet.

Chick Don Walt and Woodrow 1.jpeg

Chick Don Walt and Woodrow 2.jpeg

dyland

Reaction score

Anyone ever heard these Steely Dan & Chick Corea covers by a then 63 year old Woody Herman, with a 25 year old Jeff Hamilton on drums? This record is not on iTunes or Prime Music. I do not own a turntable. Yet.

View attachment 488757

View attachment 488758
This sounds awesome. I must find it and listen immediately.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 488757

View attachment 488758
Yes! I remember that record but I don’t own it. Woody was very progressive but still authentic Jazz.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This sounds awesome. I must find it and listen immediately.
I just now authorized the wife to pick up a Victrola 7 in 1 record player, today! I've got to hear this record! Especially a Jazz Version of Kid Charlemagne. I wonder if it will sound like what Post Modern Jukebox does?

Last edited:

dyland

Reaction score
I just now authorized the wife to pick up a Victrola 7 in 1 record player, today! I've got to hear this record! Especially a Jazz Version of Kid Charlemagne. I wonder if it will sound like what Post Modern Jukebox does?
It seems like a good bit of it is on YouTube. Here's a link, but totally understand if you'd rather wait and hear the vinyl in its full glory.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems like a good bit of it is on YouTube. Here's a link, but totally understand if you'd rather wait and hear the vinyl in its full glory.
I'll wait! LOL

Can I assume you have the Me, Myself & Irene soundtrack?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mom was a big Steely fan, so I grew up digging them too. And naturally fell further in love with their music when I started playing drums. My folks bought me the Steely Dan boxed set called Citizen the year it was released, 1992 or 1993 maybe. A high school Christmas gift, and those CDs got uploaded to my iTunes library the first year of the iPod like 10 years later, and they’re still with me. I always seem to have a current favorite Steely Dan tune, and it changes every now and then. In the last day or two, I’m obsessed with Gaucho, in particular Jeff Porcaro’s absolutely perfect groove and drums. This track is just bass, piano, and drums, and the drums are just so awesome...

I've been into Dr. Wu and Kid Charlemagne lately.

Actually there is never a time when I don't like hearing Kid Charlemagne. I know they're not on Gaucho.